HFS+ Partion Error?

seekdestroy16

3 posts in this topic

I get an error message: "HFS+ Partition Error" when I boot Mac osx with the acronis OS selector. I already sucessfully installed osx on another partion of my HD and when I rebooted I got the message after trying to boot from osx at the os selector. I saw 3 operating systems (Windows XP, Unknown OS with a big X over it and a third with NO X over it which also said unknown operating system). I deleted the one with the X on it, then tryed to boot off the other one (third one) and it gave me the error. Help!

EDIT: I figured it out...but it wasnt easy.

First and foremost, don't use Acronis OS Selector.

[1] It locked up my system (ok, that was biased)

[2] I don't think it lets you boot into Darwin's boot loader, which in turn, boots into OS X

I followed the OSX86 project wiki and I can say to you, I'd recommend you utilize the good 'ol Windows XP OS selector, along with Chain0.

(Solving the HFS+ Partition Error: )

As for the correct way to use Acronis Disk Director, you should format an unallocated partition as NTFS (or FAT32, if you choose). Do dd.exe on that newly created partition (copy the image over) and when that's done, launch Disk Director again and where you see your entire disk as a big measurement bar, there's an option to let you manually edit the partition table. Use that to change the partition type to AF (actually, it's labeled 0AFh Shag OS Swap).

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...c=15039&hl=

Anything other than 'AF' will give you the HFS+ Partition Error. Tried and tested.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're not trying to dual boot and you're getting the HFS+ partition error message, than I have an easy fix. Get to a terminal and type "sudo fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" To get the the terminal you can either boot with an OSX86 install disc (like Jas or goatsecx) and wait for it to timeout (boot your install) or enter single user mode. Once you've executed the command it will ask you to confirm the operation. Answer yes and you should have no trouble next time you boot.