Help needed on new Hackintosh Build

6 posts in this topic

Hi guys

This isn't my first hackintosh build i'm asking about, but my second. I'm actually writing off the first right now, after mnay many upgrades! I''m looking to get a whole new set of hardware in the next 2-3 weeks, and I have been trawling the forums trying to get information all the compatibility of all the different components and to narrow down my choices a bit.

I've been thinking of a quad core i5 but need a motherbaord to go with it. Intel X58 are too expensive and so I'm planning a P55 board. I know Gigabyte are always very compatible and currently running my system with a p35 DS3p. I'm planning on getting one of the gigabyte P55 boards, but have a few issues. I've been as far as Chameleon, extra folder extensions and vanilla install etc

Anyway. Which are the most compatible Gigabyte P55 motherboards? ive been doing my research for a couple of weeks but cant seem to find one or two of these boards which people are picking over the others

In fact I can't seem to find a single guide wriiten about any of them. (which im assuming is because thyre very new)

All I've seen is tonymacx86s stuff, which seems very good. I was wondering though, is this reputable? is there any where i can find out how to install on these baords using DSDT or just the old fashioned Kext methods encase tonys fails?

I was also wondering about the best graphics cards to use. I would like to get an ati card, but am not sure, even after a few weeks of looking, which one to get. I've previously bought nVidia, but as the AIT cards are so much better performance wise I want to get one of them instead. I also know theyre harder to configure, but how much harder?

I know the mac pros use the ATI 4870s, and that anything above 5*** is risky because of this, but what numbers and manufacturers work the best for osx? can i saefely get a 5870? Factory overcloked ones i know dont work very well, which has ruled out my XFX choice (XFX ati Radeon 4870 HD)

Also, what am I going to need to use, EFI strings?

Thanks very much in advance

Jack

Hi guys

I've been thinking of a quad core i5 but need a motherbaord to go with it. Intel X58 are too expensive and so I'm planning a P55 board. I know Gigabyte are always very compatible and currently running my system with a p35 DS3p. I'm planning on getting one of the gigabyte P55 boards, but have a few issues. I've been as far as Chameleon, extra folder extensions and vanilla install etc

Anyway. Which are the most compatible Gigabyte P55 motherboards? ive been doing my research for a couple of weeks but cant seem to find one or two of these boards which people are picking over the others

In fact I can't seem to find a single guide wriiten about any of them. (which im assuming is because thyre very new)

All I've seen is tonymacx86s stuff, which seems very good. I was wondering though, is this reputable? is there any where i can find out how to install on these baords using DSDT or just the old fashioned Kext methods encase tonys fails?

I was also wondering about the best graphics cards to use. I would like to get an ati card, but am not sure, even after a few weeks of looking, which one to get. I've previously bought nVidia, but as the AIT cards are so much better performance wise I want to get one of them instead. I also know theyre harder to configure, but how much harder?

I know the mac pros use the ATI 4870s, and that anything above 5*** is risky because of this, but what numbers and manufacturers work the best for osx? can i saefely get a 5870? Factory overcloked ones i know dont work very well, which has ruled out my XFX choice (XFX ati Radeon 4870 HD)

Also, what am I going to need to use, EFI strings?

Thanks very much in advance

Jack

Hi Jack,

I have one recommendation for you. Use Kakewalk to install Snow Leopard on your system build. I am sure that P55 motherboard is supported but check which Graphics cards are supported. I learned a lot about installing Leopard, then Snow leopard on my X58-UD5 by using the Digital Dreamer scripts. Just recently I stumbled upon Kakewalk 2.1 and man does it make things easier.

All that information is available on this web site.

Hi mac09hack,

Thanks for your response, I'm sorry I havent got back to you earlier but have been up to my eyeballs in Masters exams recently! Is cakewalk equivalent or better than the Gigabeast/[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method? Whats happened to installing kexts in the extra folder, is that completely phased out now and everybody is using installers like the two mentioned above?

Does anyone else have any more advice for me?

Thanks guys

I have a P55-UD5 motherboard and it's working with DSDT form [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (bios F8). I'm using Core i5 processor (OC @ 4.0GHz) and Ati HD4890 (exotic kext for 10.6.3). Everything is working in 100%, lan, firewire, usb and even HD audio (5.1 configuration). If You will need some help or advice just write me a PM.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R + i5 750 on amazon a couple weeks ago and have been fairly happy with it. However, I purchased an MSI Radeon HD 4670 and that was a mistake. I spent days trying to get it to work, although to be fair I could have settled when I had it working with VGA only. But I wanted to use DVI, and never got it really working properly. I'm thinking a 4870 would have been easier but those are actually hard to find at a good price now, and any of the ATIs it seems are having trouble on OSX 10.6.3. You have to use three ATI kexts from 10.6.2.

Other than that, the Gigabeast + [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method is superb. Provided you use compatable hardware that method should be trouble free.

You could also possibly consider getting an Nvidia 9800GT (I know, they run hot, they're big, and not cost effective) but I hear they work wonderfully with snow leopard... And I believe it's quite possible without too much effort to put in a second card (say 5870 when you have the money) for gaming on Windows. Actually, in June/July there might be a Mac Pro refresh that supports the 5870 officially, but who knows.

Either way, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies, and sorry for my late one! Have been way too busy recently. Anyway, some good advice there, it seems that the Tonymacx86 stuff is very good. I've heard that the ati stuff is a lot of hassle, and thats a good suggestion, buying an nvidia 9800. I still really want to get myself a Radeon as the performance is a lot better than the geforce series, so I'm thinking maybe I should keep my current geforce for the new computer, buy a Radeon 4870 or a 4890 and hope for the best, so i can get the system working with my current card which is easy as adding some EFI strings and then experiment with the radeon after.

However, I think im still gonna need to do a bit of research before i buy an ATI. If i was to get a Radeon 4870, does anyone know if the XFX card is good? I'm still not really sure which manuafacturuers are best for OSX, does anybody know which are the best manufacurers to pick for the radeon 4 series cards?

lso, I may be getting more money than I initially thought, and am considering the possibilty of an X58 motherboard instead (although this may pan out differently, I'm still mainly thinking of a P55). I've heard that thee X58 boards are still semi experimental, can anyone verify how easy/difficult it is to get one of the gigabyte X58s working properly?

Thanks very much

Jack