preparing installation problem

10 posts in this topic

I have 10.6 up and running but with no sound or internet so I got SL 10.6.3 and followed the guide again and everything runs up until I select the language then it just hangs on the preparing installation loading bar screen wich normally is only on a couple of seconds, any ideas?

thanks thade

I have 10.6 up and running but with no sound or internet so I got SL 10.6.3 and followed the guide again and everything runs up until I select the language then it just hangs on the preparing installation loading bar screen wich normally is only on a couple of seconds, any ideas?

thanks thade

wich guide are u following? wich distrib. are u using, retail?

• 2 weeks later...

thanks thade

I had the same issue. So I just moved back to 10.6.0 and installed 10.6.3 combo update after the installation.

I am having this issue as well, but when I try to install for the first time. I just got an SL install disk which is labeled as 10.6.3. I am running an Asus P6T (just the standard one) using the kexts from here and using the standard Chameleon bootloader. Everything boots up just fine, but it hangs at "Preparing Installation..."

Any ideas?

Wait....you guys Snow leopard 10.6.0 installed already? And you trying to update to 10.6.3? Just use the combo update from inside 10.6.0!!! If you don't have internet, $20 can buy you a wireless card like the netgear wusb100.

I would also like to suggest....PLEASE when asking for help, either put your computer specs in your SIG or post your specs WITH your POST. It will help the forum out A LOT. Trust me!

I am trying a clean install of 10.6.3 (at least that is what I assume since my disk says 10.6.3). It have gotten it to pass the "Preparing Installation" on occasion, but it never starts the install, but I have access to the other utilities. I have seen around that removing the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is causing this problem, but since I am using prebuilt kext caches I don't know how to try removing this particular one.

My setup can be seen in my sig (thanks for reminding me to update that).

The installation method I have been trying is by using kexts from here and trying to install from a flash drive using the Chameleon bootloader. The instructions on the page with the kexts say to use the myHack, but it doesn't seem to want to make my drive bootable, so I have been doing that manually.

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks!

Alright, so I think I have a flash drive setup which will consistently boot to at least the "Preparing Installation..." screen and double checked that the disk I made an image of is in fact a 10.6.3 disk. I may have also turned up something in the error logs during the bootup.

As I said, it will boot up, go to the Preparing Installation screen, then nothing else happens. I have access to the other utilities (disk utility, terminal, etc) and to the error logs. Whenever the install tries to start, an error is logged saying that "an unrecognized selector was sent to class" which is a C runtime error, meaning I may have a bad image. Can anyone back that up for me?

BTW I also updated my P6T bios to 1301.

So I got my hands on another image of SL to use as a starting point and am currently running the install. Turns out my problem was that I was using an 10.6.3 disk (it says in the error logs if you can get that far) and it seems to be working with the 10.6 image I have. I have seen around that Apple was a little sneakier and put in some blocks in the 10.6.3 installer, but that is hearsay and I am not sure if it is entirely true. I will post if I get a successful install and what I did to get there if it works.

So it looks like it installed properly, but I am having other issues. Here is what I did to get my installer working:

1. Get a disk image of OSX 10.6 and restore it to a flash drive

2. Run myHack (It didn't make my drive bootable so I had to do that manually with the standard Chameleon loader)

3. Fix any kexts you need in the /Extra folder and fix permissions

4. For my Intel i7 I disabled the AppleIntelCPUPower kexts by booting into single user (-s) mode and removing them from /S/L/E

5. Forced a kextcache rebuild using -f and it started right up and I was able to install.

It looks like the is some extra protection in the .3 update, so you may have to upgrade from flat 10.6 to get it working rather than using a clean install.