restart/shutdown help

TheGoog

7 posts in this topic

Have a near perfect install on my ex58-ud5 i7 build (apart from my 5870, but that's just gonna have to wait) apart from the system not shutting down or rebooting when I'm running in 64bit kernel mode. If I put in a kernel flag of arch=i386, she works fine in 32bit mode. Any ideas of a fix? I used this method.

Thanks for any help!

Have a near perfect install on my ex58-ud5 i7 build (apart from my 5870, but that's just gonna have to wait) apart from the system not shutting down or rebooting when I'm running in 64bit kernel mode. If I put in a kernel flag of arch=i386, she works fine in 32bit mode. Any ideas of a fix? I used this method.

Thanks for any help!

I have the same MoBoard with i7 920 and Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card running 10.6.3. I have had my hac system for about 7 months but using Digital Dreamers script was the only thing I could get to work on Leopard 10.5. I managed to use 4.22 to load Snow Leopard but got inconsistent video. sound and ethernet activations.

I stumbled onto Kakewalk 2.1 and first tried the ISO disk install version. It all went right until I need to eject the Snow Leopard DVD and reload the bootloader. I then spent the time to load a USB flash drive as recommended and everything worked like it should have.

I then used the 10.6.3 1-1 Combo updater to get to 10.6.3 and everything works as expected. I have not tried running in 64Bit mode as only Logic 9.1 can use 64Bit,

I have the same MoBoard with i7 920 and Nvidia 9800GTX+ video card running 10.6.3. I have had my hac system for about 7 months but using Digital Dreamers script was the only thing I could get to work on Leopard 10.5. I managed to use 4.22 to load Snow Leopard but got inconsistent video. sound and ethernet activations.

I stumbled onto Kakewalk 2.1 and first tried the ISO disk install version. It all went right until I need to eject the Snow Leopard DVD and reload the bootloader. I then spent the time to load a USB flash drive as recommended and everything worked like it should have.

I then used the 10.6.3 1-1 Combo updater to get to 10.6.3 and everything works as expected. I have not tried running in 64Bit mode as only Logic 9.1 can use 64Bit,

I plan on using a fair bit of large photoshop files, so that was the only real reason to want 64bit support. Does OSX allow a program binary to run in 64bit mode even when the kernel is in 32bit mode? If that's the case, then I suppose there's no point in having the kernel in 32bit mode.

Photoshop is a 32 bit application in Snow Leopard, just to point that one out. Snow Leopard uses PAE which will allow you to address more than 3 GB of RAM in 32 bit mode.

The only advantage of running 64bit as of today, is that it is slightly faster with some applications.

Photoshop is a 32 bit application in Snow Leopard, just to point that one out. Snow Leopard uses PAE which will allow you to address more than 3 GB of RAM in 32 bit mode.

I thought that the limit for 32 bit mode was 4GB RAM, as I run 32 bit all the time and All 4GB of RAM is utilised