Acer Aspire 4930 Snow Leopard 10.6.x Issues

16 posts in this topic

Guys,

From my sig you can find out I am a happy OSx86 camper, and I have been so from the last 4 years beginning my journey with JaS 10.4.8. I now tried to extend my journey to my laptop too, and I need a little help here.. after searching to the best of my abilities and trying all sorts of files, I am opening a thread as a last resort. I have an Acer Aspire 4930 running SL 10.6.2 32bit Hazard variety due to GMA 4500 issue. If it is possible to run GMA 4500 in 64bit, please let me know!

WHAT WORKS:

- GMA 4500 native resolution works without QE

- Audio works

- Webcam works (although apparently at 640x480 only. Native: 1280x720)

- Restart and Shutdown work

- LAN works (as I am using it!)

- Some sort of Power Management Works (explanation below)

WHAT DOES NOT WORK:

- Sleep does not work

- ALPS PS2GlidePoint Trackpad tap clicking does not work

- JMB385 SD controller does not work

- Intel WiFi 5100 does not work

- Battery Info

Sleep: I have OpenHaltRestart as well as SleepEnabler in S/L/E. Laptop does not sleep, only the display shuts off, and it stops responding. Only a hard reboot is the solution.

Trackpad: I have enabled the Apple trackpad preference pane as well, but still no use. And I also have the VooDoo PS2 trackpad kext, to no avail.

JMB385 Controller: I selected JMicronATA Injector as well as JMB38x kext along with JMicron ATA kext during installation. No use. Then, from somewhere, I found the IOSDHCI~.kext and upon installation, lost USB functionality - my USB drive stopped showing up in Finder. Thus I reinstalled the entire OS.

Intel WiFi 5100: I know this will not work at the moment, so could you please suggest a cheap alternative USB WiFi stick (that has international (India) availability?

Battery Info: I selected ACPI battery, then one time I chose VooDoo, but both are same.. I just get Service Battery. It does show time, it does show remaining charge and status, now is this how it is supposed to be?

ABOUT CPU Power Management: VooDoo Monitor reports that both cores of the C2D T5800 fluctuate depending on the use, and at present they are 1194MHz. But at 50 - 53 - 55 degrees. Now, let me tell you, that here in India my room temperature right now is 30 degrees as reported by the SL Dashboard widget. Is this temp normal? I never saw my temps when I was using Ubuntu and Windows on this laptop, so don't know. But here is another catch.

iStat Pro, available from the Dashboard, reports HDD at 44 degrees which is normal from my point (I know Ubuntu showed between 42 and 49 degrees) but the CPU temp as reported by iStat Pro is 65 degrees for both cores. Now, is VooDoo right or this iStat? 65 does ring an alarm in my head... :(

Please help me guys... I am close to the perfect possible experience (without QE/CI that is) and just a little nags exist. Help me kick them out!

One More Thing: Anybody using a Retail SL installation, could you please upload "defaultbackground.tiff" from System > Library > CoreServices > Installer (Right Click) > Show Package Contents > Contents > Resources?

Regards.

Warttack, I have got my Acer running to my liking after a lot of hassle.. you sure that this bootloader will give GMA 4500 native resolution? ;)

Also, I find that these are binary files... how do I go about installing them? I have RC3 with EFI 10.5 installed at the moment..from Hazard.

Warttack, I have got my Acer running to my liking after a lot of hassle.. you sure that this bootloader will give GMA 4500 native resolution? :thumbsup_anim:

Also, I find that these are binary files... how do I go about installing them? I have RC3 with EFI 10.5 installed at the moment..from Hazard.

If you are using chameleon just replace the boot file with the one i attached here and thats it. Its the same chameleon file just with the vesa video hack into it so 64bit systems recognize it.

After changing the boot file dont forget to ad this string to your boot plist to get native resolution.

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x800x32</string>

boot.zip

iused hazard distro too and selected gma 4500 driver but in system profiler it doesnt say any graphics card model and stuck with 1024x768.

is there anything else u did? cheers

I used Hazard 10.6.2 installation.. this has an option for GMA 4500. In system profiler, GMA4500 suggests itself as GMA X3100 so I think it is a modified kext.

• 3 weeks later...