Where are the Panic.Logs?

0xbaadf00d

10 posts in this topic

It doesn't exist and you can't create one. This is because when the kernel panics, it saves the panic information into nvram, from where it is retrieved and logged at the next boot. But the x86 BIOS doesn't have nvram, so no panic.log. But you can boot with debug=0x100 to have the panic information dumped to the screen.

Just like you would boot with -x or -v: When the Darwin boot loader asks for any key to enter boot options, press any key. Then, at the kernel command line prompt, enter debug=0x100 and hit Enter. You can enter almost anything you would put into boot-args on a PPC at the Darwin boot prompt on x86.

1. Turn on your computer.

2. Wait for the BIOS messages to flash by.

3. As soon as it says something like press a key for startup options, and starts counting down the seconds, press a key.

3a. If you don't get this message, start over, and press Shift (for example) when the BIOS messages have almost finished flashing by.

4. At the prompt that appears, enter "debug=0x100", without the quotes, and press Enter

5. Wait for the kernel panic.

6. When the kernel panics, it will print some lines of text onto the screen.

When I turn the machine on, I see no BIOS messages flash by. I just see the grey screen with the white Apple and the progress indicator.

Probably I should note this: I may be the only person on this board, but I am running OS X on a DTK, not a standard PC,

0xbaadf00d

When I turn the machine on, I see no BIOS messages flash by. I just see the grey screen with the white Apple and the progress indicator.

Probably I should note this: I may be the only person on this board, but I am running OS X on a DTK, not a standard PC,

0xbaadf00d

Completely off-topic, but many of us wanted to know, does the mac chime when you turn it on? :lol:

OK, that explains some things. Sorry for my last post then. :D Well, I guess you should get a prompt or something by pressing some key combination when turning the box on. How do you activate verbose boot, or single user mode? Well, there has to be a way to set kernel debug flags. This is a development machine after all.