DVI - VGA - HDMI output problems due to different car types and NVCAP

mrgold

8 posts in this topic

First of all, need to thank to insanelymac team, cause i did not know anything about mac and now my pc working awesome on retail snow leopard.

There is many confusing topics about graphic card issues and that's why i did not write any brand or model name on topic.

I've been using HD3870 and tried real hard to get it fully work on SL but i couldnt. Then i bought a ZOTAC GTS 250 1024 MB cause Nvidia had less problem than Ati on Mac Os..

But i was shocked because i couldnt get screen on dvi or hdmi.. There was a vga port only working on this card and i hate vga (:

I really read much about it and learned everything about this output problems. Now i solved my problem and want to write here, maybe helps someone..

I dont want to write confusing technical terms here, if you want to dig it google will be your friend :blush:

The main issue is there's many different output styles on different cards. For example (DVI-DVI, DVI-VGA, DVI-HDMI-VGA... etc..)

First of all we need to know there is only 2 real output controllers on gaming graphic cards. Some of them has 2 digital outputs like DVI-DVI or DVIHDMI..

And some of them have 1 digital and 1 analog output like VGA-DVI..

There's a NVCAP string on cards rom and its very easy to get it. If you be lazy about it and try to google it, trust me you will lose more time.

You just need to download your cards rom file from the manufacturers website. It is not important old or new rom because you dont need to update rom just use it to learn your nvcap string. You can use NVCAPmaker for this. Easily find from google. Then you can use that nvcap string on which way you like (GFX String, Some Enabler Kext or DSDT whatever) Then you will have a fully working output on your card. I can not guarantee you will have fully working resolution because all these cards made originally for windows systems and mac os has limited drivers for all.

I hope this helps someone ..

And i already have a question. I have a little situation with my ZOTAC ECO GTS 250 1024MB..

Everything seems fine but i cannot see the QuartzGL or QuartzExtreme situation on system profiler. I can use all programs perfectly but i cant see any information on sp. On Osx86 tools, QuartzExtreme support seems disabled. When i try to enable it theres an error about couldnt find the file .. Is it normal and what can i do to fix that? Thanks..

There's a NVCAP string on cards rom and its very easy to get it.

No and no. You have to build the NVCAP by looking at various tables in the rom. More information here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=215236

You just need to download your cards rom file from the manufacturers website. It is not important old or new rom because you dont need to update rom just use it to learn your nvcap string. You can use NVCAPmaker for this. Easily find from google.

Or you just use NVEnabler or GraphicsEnabler (nvidia part) which gets your cards rom and calculates the NVCAP. NVCAPMaker didnt calculate right NVCAP for any card i tried.

Everything seems fine but i cannot see the QuartzGL or QuartzExtreme situation on system profiler.

If you are using SnowLeopard, this information was removed from System Profiler. At least QuartzExterme and CoreImage was, dont know about QuartzGL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
where do i get those rom-files? I can't find it on my manufacturers site... i got a Nvidia GeForce G210M .... i can only find win, linux, solaris and freebsd drivers on the site... no rom-file...

You can get the ROM in Linux with a command-line program called NVflash. You'll need to compile it yourself on Linux, then, while running the proprietary nvidia driver, run "sudo src/nvflash -l". The output isn't important, but if it works you will get your clock speed, fan speed, and temperature for your GPU. It saves a .rom file for each NVidia card under "~/.nvflash".

• 2 months later...

good gawd I have a Zotac GTS250 1GB as well and can't for the life of me get it to function (tried enabelr=y from chamRC5 & various other solutions..)

Yes yes, could you post your working solution for 10.6.4 please!? OSX is un-useable for me with this card...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have problems using zotac eco gts 250 1gb on iatkos s3 v2 uodated to 10.6.5.

The card works fire (as far as I can tell) only on vga, but when I switch to DVI I get blank screen.

Only if I boot with -v -f I am able to load snow leopard without problems, but when I restart I get blank screen again...

Any advice on this ?