How to upgrade from iPC 10.5.6 to 10.5.8?

whizkid515

21 posts in this topic

I read the stickied post about safely upgrading, but that doesn't address what will happen with my extensions. I am currently running iPC 10.5.6, and my specs are: Pentium 4 2.6 Northwood, GeForce 5200FX AGP (using NVKush Complete package), and I think I'm using the i865 chipset. I currently have the VoodooUSBEHCI kext installed for sleep, and I have everything working perfectly, so I do not want to have to set everything up again. Would using the iDeneb combo Update do what I want, or would I go through nearly the same process except renaming the kernel and typing in mach_kernel.voodoo at boot. I have the voodoo 9.5.0 kernel installed with the 10.5.5 seatbelt kext, and Chameleon 2.0

Thanks in advance,

whizkid515

• 2 weeks later...

ugh....I tried the Combo update. It locked up befor finishing install and bricked my system :-(

I'm running IPC 10.5.6 with Voodoo Kernel. anyone else have this issue?

Luckily I have a Time machine backup so I'm back for another go :-)

can anyone give me good instructions for the iDeneb update process?

What I'm not sure about is that there are 2 files .....The update package and the Ideneb Update tool...which do I run? or Both and what order?

Thanks

-Mike

Backup your extension folder.

Install the combo but don't restart yet.

Delete all extensions from this folder

install ur backup

install ur Voodookernel

Fix permissions

Reboot now with -v and -f .

Hope this helps! Wish u luck!

That sounds crazy, updating and then use all the kernel extensions from the previous version?

I mean yes, you can install newer versions of iTunes and Safari...but what will happen to stability?

That sounds crazy, updating and then use all the kernel extensions from the previous version?

I mean yes, you can install newer versions of iTunes and Safari...but what will happen to stability?

Had the same problem but using OSX86 tools backup the kernel and once you finish your 10.5.8 update Don't restart go back to OSX86 tools restore your back up kernel. Hope this helps...

Alrighty, thanks for the reply. When you say install Combo update that's not the "ideneb updater" right it's the combo update package?

"delete all extentions from this folder" by this you mean all extentions from my extentions folder?

I think I understand everything else...

once again, thank you very much for your help, i really appreciate it.

-Mike

Backup your extension folder.

Install the combo but don't restart yet.

Delete all extensions from this folder

install ur backup

install ur Voodookernel

Fix permissions

Reboot now with -v and -f .

Hope this helps! Wish u luck!

He means delete the contents of the extensions folder after running the (Apple Combo) update. Then copy all your old extensions back in and fix permissions before you reboot. I think that's insane but whatever. Good luck with the carpet bombing "update" method!

Had the same problem but using OSX86 tools backup the kernel and once you finish your 10.5.8 update Don't restart go back to OSX86 tools restore your back up kernel. Hope this helps...

That's not "the same problem", not to mention it's overly complicated, there's a much simpler way to do the same thing. Just rename the Voodoo Kernel to mach_kernel.voodoo, change mach_kernel to mach_kernel.voodoo in com.apple.Boot.plist and never worry about it again.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

He means delete the contents of the extensions folder after running the update. Then copy all your old extensions back in and fix permissions before you reboot. I think that's insane but whatever. Good luck with the carpet bombing "update" method!

That's needlessly complicated. Just rename the Voodoo Kernel to mach_kernel.voodoo, change mach_kernel to mach_kernel.voodoo in com.apple.Boot.plist and never worry about it again.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

hahaha @ the carpet bombing......lol. Thanks for thatBeerkex'd

I have read your updating Voodoo post a few times now and am still taking it in....It makes perfect sensejust a little intimidating for me also.

So , I rename the new Kernel I download for 10.5.8, drop it it in the root, change com.apple.boot.plist to point to the new Mach_kernel.voodoo and set permissions for the new kernel?

When I set permissions for the new kernel, That can be done through the OSX GUI? and that makes the new kernel active at the immediately or at the next restart?

after this I can use the apple update straight from software update and just fix my other extentions

vid card, LAN etc after update right?

I'm having sooooo much fun with this project! ;)

Yes, you got it right, it's pretty straightforward. Name the kernel (name it whatever you want), copy it to / (root of your system drive) and then change the kernel name in com.apple.Boot.plist accordingly. Then open Terminal.app and set the permissions.

Don't reboot, run the updater at this time. If you're going to put all your old kernel extensions back, be sure to copy the new 10.5.8 Seatbelt.kext and System.kext first. You will need to install those if you're going to use the 9.8.0 qoopz voodoo kernel (as you will know..if you have done your homework).

The new voodoo kernel will load on the next reboot (if you didn't mess it up :-).

The real alternative to the carpet bombing update method :) is to find out which patched kernel extensions your hardware actually needs. That's the most difficult part of maintaining a Hackintosh and it requires a lot of detective work. The main problem here being - running an installation from a hacked DVD - how do you know if the kernel extensions you are using already are patched or not? A slow and tedious way is to compare them to clean extensions from a retail DVD.

And then, instead of using older, patched kernel extensions from 10.5.6 on a 10.5.8 install, you patch the new kernel extensions accordingly yourself if possible, or find already patched versions here on the forum.

Consequently, continuing along this path, you end up being able to install retail OS X on your PC without following a guide, which is a very rewarding experience.

fixing the extentions shouldn't really be that bad......I have to use Voodoo because I have an older Intel processor that only supports SSE2. The only hardware I had issues with getting to work OOB is my video card. It's an FX 5200 and it was a little weird to get QE/CI enabled. I used a universal nvidia installer to enable QE/CI then there wer horrible video artifacts and to fix it I had to overwrite my Coregraffics.Framework with the 10.5.5 version.

everything esle was pretty easy with many thanks to people like you on this forum with very well documented posts :-)

I took the IOATAFamily kext right from my working hackintosh install. On boot, it gives me an error that it failed to load com.apple.iokit.IOATABlockStorage, as well as IOATABlockStorage is not compatible with its superclass, and that it couldn't alloc class "AppleATADiskDriver." I think I might just copy my entire /S/L/E to the /Extra/Extensions on my thumb drive (I know that's not really practical, but I don't think there's much of another option).

Edit: I'm beginning to think it has something to do with my thumb drive, since hard drive wouldn't matter until I boot up after install (I probably should have clarified this before, sorry). My BIOS is set up weirdly in that the thumb drive is treated as a hard drive, and I have to select it as the first hard drive in the BIOS, or else it doesn't show up as a boot option. Maybe I should try installing Chameleon to a CD and then boot off the thumb drive from there? I'm completely lost here.

Edit 2: I figured out it had to do with the EHCI driver. I copied the EHCI driver kext by Slice to my Extra folder on the thumb drive. I got it to boot, but it seemed to boot too quickly, and I get a pinwheel on boot, which never stops. This is out of verbose mode, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

Alright, so I got it installed. I had my iPC disc in, but I booted off the thumb drive's image, and it booted with the -f kernel flag. Now, I can only boot up with the -f kernel flag, and I have no graphics kext enabled, I can't mount a USB drive (even if it's plugged in before boot), and it will not shut down by itself. This almost seems like it's more trouble that it's worth.