Full Resolution but no QE in 10.6.3

genitiv

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I've managed to get full res with my ASUS EAH4650 by replacing following kexts with the 10.6.2 ones

ATI4600Controller (with added Dev ID)

ATIFramebuffer

ATISupport

and installing ATIRadeonX2000 from netkas' exotic card package.

Now almost everything works fine (system profiler shows 1GB vram) except no other program which i'm using can use or detect vram: some games say: this needs x MB VRAM. Your system has only 0(!)MB VRAM.

btw im using RC4(framebuffer motmot), graphicsenabler=yes, no patched dsdt

In 10.6.2 QE/ CI automatically worked when I enabled every res...

Any ideas?

In order to have full QI/CE in 10.6.3, using 10.6.2 kexts, you also have to copy "OpenGL.framework" and "OpenCL.framework" located in /System/Library/Frameworks from 10.6.2 (credits to lastexile). Also, you don't need the x2000.kext from the exotic patch. Just use the 10.6.2 ATIRadeonX2000.kext (also include the, ATIRadeonX2000VADriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX2000GLDriver.bundle, ATIRadeonX2000GA.plugin). Repair/fix permissions and you should be all set. Also repair/fix permissions for the OpenGL and CL frameworks files.

EDIT: Make sure you backup all stock 10.6.3 kext/frameworks for future use. BTW, if you'll have an error copying the OpenGL/CL frameworks file to the /S/L/Frameworks directory, delete the existing OpenGL/CL files first before copying. For some reason, it won't overwrite when copying, even in root.

BTW, I'm just curious. Why are you reverting back to 10.6.2 drivers? I also have the EAH4650, 10.6.3 works with full qi/ce. The reason why I reverted back to 10.6.2 is because of skipping issue. The mouse is skipping every 4-5 seconds, which is very annoying. I wonder if you have the same problem.

The only thing I liked about 10.6.3 is having dual display in extended mode, not clone (with a weird trick I discovered).

• 3 weeks later...

hey i also have this problem, hdmi connection and 8500gt 256 megs.

I have modified the boot.plist with efi studio for my card, added my device ids to everything I can think of, etc etc..

I have full resolution but no qe/cl and thus no video (vlc), preview doesn't display and youtube plays like {censored}.

Can you please post links to download those two files, or do you know where I can download them?

I'd like to try this before I reinstall everything on my computer.

This all happened when I updated from 10.6.2 (where everything worked fine) and went to 6.3. I don't have anything left from 10.6.2, just an old leopard install on my computer.

Hi

I've managed to get full res with my ASUS EAH4650 by replacing following kexts with the 10.6.2 ones

ATI4600Controller (with added Dev ID)

ATIFramebuffer

ATISupport

and installing ATIRadeonX2000 from netkas' exotic card package.

Now almost everything works fine (system profiler shows 1GB vram) except no other program which i'm using can use or detect vram: some games say: this needs x MB VRAM. Your system has only 0(!)MB VRAM.

btw im using RC4(framebuffer motmot), graphicsenabler=yes, no patched dsdt

In 10.6.2 QE/ CI automatically worked when I enabled every res...

Any ideas?

In 10.6.3 ATI 4650 works perfectly only to add your Device ID to ATI4600Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext (10.6.3 version), you don't neeed exotic package by Netkas.

Works fully QE/CI enabled, change resolution and dual monitor.

Giorgio

Anybody having chopping graphics in 10.6.3 kext (QI/CE enabled)?

After some troubleshooting, I can confirm that the choppiness is caused by the kext files, not the framework files of 10.6.3. A work around for me is to unlick "mirror displays" in arrangement tab in displays and reclick it - for some reason after refreshing it, the choppiness goes away. But when I restart, I have to do the mirror display trick. - Oh yeah, the reason why I have the "arrangement tab" even I have 1 monitor is that I have 1) hdmi to DVI and 2)DVI to VGA connected at the same time in my single monitor and osx detects it as dual.

I have EAH4650 1gb ddr2.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I a managed to get QE/CI working, but seem to be stuck in mirror mode.

-I am running a Diamond Radeon HD 4650.

-I am using 10.6.3 with the 10.6.3 kexts.

-I have edited 4600Controller and Radeon2000 to include my device ID.

-I am using one monitor with straight VGA and the other using a DVI-VGA Converter.

-If I remove the DVI-VGA Converter and have 1 monitor connected VGA and the other DVI, then both screens go into sleep mode on boot.

On 10.6.3 this card seems to be a breeze for most everyone, why would I still be stuck with mirrored displays?

• 1 month later...
don`t know if its the right topic..

I`m looking at an Acer 5738Z with an ATI 4650 1 GB DDR3.

will it work with QE/CI?

I don't see why it wouldn't...in general if one manufacturer works the others do as well. All have the same fundamental core. Just don't expect dual display, so far no one has gotten that to work on a 4650.

Good thread for instructions:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=190288&hl=