Using a PCI Video Card In OSX86?

sandmanfvrga

12 posts in this topic

Well nobody replies, but found the answer and I was right: the partition isn't active. I got Windows 98 cd and boot floppies so will make it active.

SO, can anybody that will comment on the Radeon theory or do I just have to wait till I get home? Just wondering if somebody has tried this or what not.

Sorry to spam, bu I changed my post since I figured out the no booting problem. NOW to repost my question:

Ok, my other brainstorm/question is this: I got an old PowerMac G3 400mhz and it has an ATI Radeon 7000 32 Meg PCI card. Now can I put this in my machine and OSX86 see it and run Quartz Extreme and give me full acceleration? If that is a YES then the second part to this is: Could I put my Nvidia 6800 AGP card in and the Radeon card in and disable the AGP card so that in OSX86 I am running a Mac capable card and when I boot into Winblows for a game I got my Nvidia card (switching the monitor cable of course)? I had this brainstorm and I "THINK" it should work, at least the ATI should work. Anybody try this?

I am going to try this when I get home, but wondering if I shouldn't even bother.

well you can use a ppc card but it has to be flashed and turned into a PC card. Flash the BIOs of your card with the regular one from a PC and your set.. if ya have a space pci card put both in yer PC and load the correct BIOs to your Mac Edition card and it wont be a Mac Edition anymore but there is no point as there is not much support anyway for that card in OSx86. Macvidia is yer best bet and np_ will have QE and CI someday. he is rockin.. Thinking of going back to my nVidia card myself.. :)

Well after messing with OSX some more, I love it. I got all the power I need and unless I am running a thing in rosetta (need to get iLife 06) it is blazing fast. One thing, video. I just want OSX for all my non gaming work and I did try the Radeon 7000 but to no avail, oh well. I am such a geek that I had to try it.

SO, I am going back to my old idea: running two video cards so that when I go to windows to game I have my Nvidia 6800 but in OSX have a support card that runs QE and gives me the acceleration I need. NOW, I looked on the net for a GMA 950 video card and I think it is just built on, which I hope I am wrong. What can I do to get my video to where I need it (no gaming) and be inexpensive? Flash the Radeon card? Will it truely give me the support I got in PPC OSX? On two cards, can I run two in OSX and if I can HOW do I disable one? I hope that this is something I can do since everythings is running fine and I finally got OSX running on a powerful setup and not an old PowerPC setup. Thanks.

Yes the gma950 are built on to the motherboard. I picked up a radeon x300se, i think they are about 35-40 bucks and i got qe/ci right out of the box. Halo was good too. The only thing is the artifacts which i got rid of somewhat with mouselocator. You can find instructions on the forum.

I don't have pci express, just AGP and don't want to replace it either so I can game in Windows and I paid $400 for the card. I can view Quicktime fine it seems, and WMVs are ok (I think I will try VLC). I just want simple 2d, QE is nice but not a must have. Watching videos/DVD and just simple 2d things like capture video and work with pictures is all I want. I would flash that Radeon 7000 if it would work for me in the box. Just need simple 2d stuff.