ideneb and MSI G31TM-P21

npolite

11 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm running into a problem with trying to get my new MSI G31TM-P21 MB working with idebeb 1.5. I'm able to get it to install but no matter what I do after I bootup it locks up. In verbose mode I don't see any errors, just hangs (I'll try to get the last line it posts shortly).

So far I've tried to boot using the Voodoo kernel and Qoopz unsuccessfully. I have Chameleon 2 also installed and have tried the kernel=voodoo and kernel=qoopz with a -v -x and even a cpus=1 without any luck.

From the specs on newegg it looks like I have a ALC88S audio, Realtek 8103EL and a GMA3100 video. I don't have AHCI so could this be the problem? Should I try installing it on a IDE HD? I would appreciate any help.

It appears to be hanging at the "Mac framework successfully initialized using 10485 buffer headers etc. Reading some people who had this issue I tried to enable the SSE2 Fix / ACPI but that didn't help. Anyone have some suggestions on how to get past this?

Thanks

I have the same mainboard and a similar problem. But I cannot get any install DVD to run since it hangs at the point you describe. You can enable AHCI in BIOS but that doesn't help either. In another thread, I read that using Empire EFI does the trick. That's what I'm going to try out next.

I have the same mainboard and a similar problem. But I cannot get any install DVD to run since it hangs at the point you describe. You can enable AHCI in BIOS but that doesn't help either. In another thread, I read that using Empire EFI does the trick. That's what I'm going to try out next.

Do you happen to know where the AHCI is? I couldn't find it.

Hi! I'm so sorry. :) I was very sleepy when I posted this. You cannot switch AHCI on or of in the BIOS. Oh well, did you give EmpireEFI a try? It didn't work for me at all. This could have 2 possible reasons:

1.) The author's website is a blog which is kinda unsorted. He provides many different versions of EmpireEFI and I'm not sure which one to take. I tried a legacy one and it didn't work. Gave me a kernel panic (ACPI related).

2.) I have SATA devices only. Maybe I should give IDE a try... I don't know. I sold my IDE parts a few months ago. Oh well, maybe I'll ask a good friend if he can borrow me an IDE drive.

If you succeed, please tell me. :)

Greetings from Germany,

NH.

Hi! I'm so sorry. :) I was very sleepy when I posted this. You cannot switch AHCI on or of in the BIOS. Oh well, did you give EmpireEFI a try? It didn't work for me at all. This could have 2 possible reasons:

1.) The author's website is a blog which is kinda unsorted. He provides many different versions of EmpireEFI and I'm not sure which one to take. I tried a legacy one and it didn't work. Gave me a kernel panic (ACPI related).

2.) I have SATA devices only. Maybe I should give IDE a try... I don't know. I sold my IDE parts a few months ago. Oh well, maybe I'll ask a good friend if he can borrow me an IDE drive.

If you succeed, please tell me. :)

Greetings from Germany,

NH.

The 1.08 version (regular version, not "legacy") of Empire EFI worked fine for me as far as doing a retail installation (all SATA drives in my case). You do have to go in to the BIOS and enable XD, but that's labeled so oddly in the BIOS screens that it's hard to locate (I'd name the correct field here, but I'm not near that computer at the moment). I haven't been able to get a bootloader to work post-installation yet. Still having to boot from the Empire EFI CD.

The 1.08 version (regular version, not "legacy") of Empire EFI worked fine for me as far as doing a retail installation (all SATA drives in my case). You do have to go in to the BIOS and enable XD, but that's labeled so oddly in the BIOS screens that it's hard to locate (I'd name the correct field here, but I'm not near that computer at the moment). I haven't been able to get a bootloader to work post-installation yet. Still having to boot from the Empire EFI CD.

Alright, I will give it a try. Would be cool if you could tell us what you've enabled in your BIOS once you get access to that computer again.

Cheers,

Netto Hikari

Alright, I will give it a try. Would be cool if you could tell us what you've enabled in your BIOS once you get access to that computer again.

Cheers,

Netto Hikari

Netto, I'm really sorry (and I got your IM), but I'd already taken that board down and pulled the processor by the time I saw this. Best I can tell you is to search the BIOS for references that are similar to "Execute Disable"--even though the BIOS screens don't use those actual words. Might also help to look up Execute Disable in Google (which is what I did) to get a better idea of what you're looking for. When you find it, Enable that field.

Best of luck...

Netto, I'm really sorry (and I got your IM), but I'd already taken that board down and pulled the processor by the time I saw this. Best I can tell you is to search the BIOS for references that are similar to "Execute Disable"--even though the BIOS screens don't use those actual words. Might also help to look up Execute Disable in Google (which is what I did) to get a better idea of what you're looking for. When you find it, Enable that field.

Best of luck...

Hey! Thanks for your efford! I will keep trying. :-D

Greetings from Germany,

Netto

• 4 months later...
Hello Everyone,

I'm running into a problem with trying to get my new MSI G31TM-P21 MB working with idebeb 1.5. I'm able to get it to install but no matter what I do after I bootup it locks up. In verbose mode I don't see any errors, just hangs (I'll try to get the last line it posts shortly).

So far I've tried to boot using the Voodoo kernel and Qoopz unsuccessfully. I have Chameleon 2 also installed and have tried the kernel=voodoo and kernel=qoopz with a -v -x and even a cpus=1 without any luck.

From the specs on newegg it looks like I have a ALC88S audio, Realtek 8103EL and a GMA3100 video. I don't have AHCI so could this be the problem? Should I try installing it on a IDE HD? I would appreciate any help.

I got it working a few months ago. Trick: Do NOT disable any devices in your BIOS and disable the "Executive Bit" (or similar) in your BIOS' CPU settings.

That's it. Running Win7, OS X Snow Leopard and Ubuntu on my machine. Satisfied. :censored2: