Snow Leopard USB install on Dell m4300 hanging on blank grey screen

tezmo

2 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, gentlemen - if one of you kind souls might be able to assist me in my quest to install Snow Leopard on my Dell Precision m4300 laptop, it would be much appreciated.

I am using the USB install approach. I have prepared a USB stick in the usual manner (extended/journaled/guid partition), restored my Snow Leopard image, and completed the three part chameleon install.

I replaced /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext on my USB stick (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609) in order to avoid the 'secondary ide channel disabled' kernel panic, but that has only got me so far. For right now, when booting from my USB stick, I see the apple logo on a grey screen, which changes shortly to blue, then grey screen, where it appears to hang. There is no disc activity and the mouse pointer is static. The machine however does not appear to have crashed, because pressing the power button changes the mouse pointer to the spinning colour wheel.

I would add that the behaviour is identical in IDE or AHCI mode.

If anyone can offer any advice on how to proceed, it would be much appreciated. Many thanks all :)

• 6 months later...