Cider Kernel Panic

V1nc3nt

13 posts in this topic

img0423m.th.jpg

I get this kernel Panic, when trying to start Warhammer online, after patching.

Because I first though, it would be my graphic card doing this panic, I tried to find a driver for it and took Nvidia Installer by Punk92 , which didn't fix the panic, because as I now know, its a cider panic, my OpenGL is broken(the Installer installed 10.5.2 files, I have 10.5.8) and Warhammer Online says I should get a working OpenGl hardware accelerator.

So I have two Questions:

Is there any way to fix the Cider Kernel Panic, and as second

do I have to reinstall my OS X because of OpenGL?

For my specs see my signature.

this guy has posted the exact same kernel Panic in German Subforum , but he got no right answer, I guess...

I hope you can help me,

V1nc3nt

You don't have to reinstall. Since you're on 10.5.8 you can just download this driver installer from Nvidia...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_MacOSX_18.5.2f16.html

...and (unless your model identifier is MacPro3,1) follow these instructions:

Open System Profiler and make a note of your model identifier

Mount the .dmg

Copy the installer package from the .dmg to the desktop

Right-click it and click 'show package contents'

Drag the file distribution.dist to your desktop and open it with TextEdit.

Find where it says MacPro3,1, replace it with your model identifier and save the file.

Delete the original distribution.dist inside the installer, drag your modified one in and type your password when prompted.

Run the installer, reboot when prompted

Profit

If you previously had to edit some driver files to add your device ID, you will have to redo that.

Read the 'Guide for all Nvidia boards' by Krazubu over at the ProjectOSX forums.

While you're at it, update your Voodoo Kernel to 9.8.0:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

You don't have to reinstall. Since you're on 10.5.8 you can just download this driver installer from Nvidia...

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_MacOSX_18.5.2f16.html

If you previously had to edit some driver files to add your device ID, you will have to redo that.

Read the 'Guide for all Nvidia boards' by Krazubu over at the ProjectOSX forums.

While you're at it, update your Voodoo Kernel to 9.8.0:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=209192

I just installed the NVIDIA drivers you posted - no success. Still saying I need a working OpenGL.

I added my Device ID to com.Apple.boot.plist, but removed it before installing the driver.

I had installed some driver with Nvidia Installer, and my System Profiler says my ROM-Version is NVdarwin 1.2.5, which I selected at installing with iDeneb, I guess.

I have no problem to reinstall my OS X, as I don't have itt for long time, and just want to have it work clean.

I installed it 2 weeks ago and then experimented with it, to get everything to work...

So I will reinstall on saturday, I guess, update from 10.5.6 to 10.5.8, update my Kernel with Qoopz, as you said, add all the kexts I need, for example SB700.kext etc.

Which seatbelt.kext will I need, when I update to 9.8.0 Kernel? with my current Kernel I need 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext; 10.5.8 and 10.5.6 didn't work.

So, then I will install the Nvidia driver you posted, as I won't choose anything while installing, and Cider apps will work?

Will this work or will I have to

and follow it?

Hope you can help me again and thanx for your work.

V1nc3nt

I just installed the NVIDIA drivers you posted - no success. Still saying I need a working OpenGL.

Installing the drivers is only half of it. Your injection method is not working and so you have no hardware accelerated graphics. That's why you get that error message.

I added my Device ID to com.Apple.boot.plist, but removed it before installing the driver.

That's wrong. Don't put device ids in com.apple.Boot.plist. Do you mean a Device-Properties string? You shouldn't be using NVDarwin and a Device Properties string at the same time, it won't work - delete one or the other.

I had installed some driver with Nvidia Installer, and my System Profiler says my ROM-Version is NVdarwin 1.2.5, which I selected at installing with iDeneb, I guess.

NVDarwin is an injector, not a driver. Maybe it doesn't work with your particular video card, or maybe you need to manually add the device ID to NVDarwin and the proper Nvidia kernel extensions - check out the guide I referred to earlier, it explains these things.

Which seatbelt.kext will I need, when I update to 9.8.0 Kernel? with my current Kernel I need 10.5.5 seatbelt.kext

Let's compare the numbers here. If you need 10.5.5 seatbelt with a 9.5.0 kernel, which seatbelt 10.5.x do you need with a 9.8.0 kernel? :) answers on a postcard please.

So, then I will install the Nvidia driver you posted, as I won't choose anything while installing, and Cider apps will work?

You need to get hardware acceleration (Core Image/Quartz Extreme) working, and krazubu's guide will explain how.

Randomly reinstalling in hopes of fixing a problem will do you no good in the long run. Read and try to learn how things work and fix them.

Do yourself a favor - go to the ProjectOSX forums and look at the guide. Use google to find it.

That's wrong. Don't put device ids in com.apple.Boot.plist. Do you mean a Device-Properties string? You shouldn't be using NVDarwin and a Device Properties string at the same time, it won't work - delete one or the other.

NVDarwin is an injector, not a driver. Maybe it doesn't work with your particular video card, or maybe you need to manually add the device ID to the NVidia kernel extensions - check out the guide I referred to earlier, it explains these things.

Let's compare the numbers here. If you need 10.5.5 seatbelt with a 9.5.0 kernel, which seatbelt 10.5.x do you need with a 9.8.0 kernel? :) answers on a postcard please.

I don't use Cider (I use Windows for gaming) so I couldn't say. You need to get hardware acceleration working, and krazubu's guide will explain how. Go to the ProjectOSX forums and look at the guide. Use google to find it.

Sry, I meant device-properties string. But as I said, I removed it.

K, so I guess... I will use Seatbelt.kext 10.5.8 xD...

I had a working Hardware acceleration, before using the Nvidia Installer, I guess and Warhammer Online didn't complain at starting it, but i got the Kernel Panic, I posted the screenshot of, when clicking Play after Patching. Atm I'm not actually coming to this point, but this is because of the NVIDIA installer and the lacking opengl...

I actually did find the post... without google xD

So, I dont choose any Injector or driver when reinstalling, and follow krazubu's guide!?

Will I be able to get my Kext from my iDeneb DVD? I don't have the original Leopard DVD.

And where do I get to know my Device ID?

Hope, this actually will allow me to start Warhammer Online, maybe the kernel update already does.

Thank you for your patience and your work, sorry for my many (stupid) questions,

V1nc3nt

There's no need to reinstall, you can fix this.

You can find your video card's device ID by looking under Graphics/Displays in System Profiler.

Follow the guide and insert your device ID in the appropriate Kernel Extensions for Geforce 8000 series cards.

If the installer package I linked to ran correctly on your system, then you have the latest Nvidia drivers available for Leopard, so don't try to install other driver packages. You already have the best drivers available.

When Krazubu talks about an injector in his guide, he means NVInject, NVDarwin, NVkush, Natit, Titan, CoreVidia, NVEnabler, ATY_Init.kext etc etc.

I recommend NVEnabler - There's a link to it in Krazubu's guide - make sure to download NVEnabler 0.1, the other one is for Snow Leopard. Then drop it in /System/Library/Extensions.

Make sure you don't have any other Injectors installed, such as NVDarwin or any of the other ones mentioned above. It's possible that the Punk92 installer you ran earlier installed a second injector. Look in /System/Library/Extensions and delete any one you find.

When you're done, before rebooting, don't forget to do what he says after "launch terminal and type (...)" otherwise nothing will work.

If you do it right, you'll have working OpenGL, Quartz Extreme and Core Image again.

Thanx for your help, I really appreciate it...

Everything worked fine (including the Kernel Update), and Warhammer Online does not longer complain about lack of OpenGl.

I start it, patch, click play, and again

get this kernel Panic, when trying to start Warhammer online, after patching.

img0423m.th.jpg

I hoped it could be fixed by Kernel update and new GraKa implementation, but seems as it doesnt.

I tried the Anv XNU Kernel, too, without installing any kexts etc., just the kernel file in "/", but exactly gives out the same Kernel Panic.

Sometimes, when booting up, I get a Kernel panic, too; by the System UI, or such, still with Voodoo 9.8.0. It happens only sometimes, usually simply 8sec pressing power button, starting again and it works again.

When I get this KP next time, I will photograph it, and post the photo here, comparing it wth the one from Cider/W.A.R

Maybe someone here has an idea of how to fix this Cider error :please

Do you think W.A.R could work in Snow leopard? I would appreciate it working in Leopard, but its quite important to me xD, so I would consider installing SL, if it someone said me It would work there...

However, thanks for your patience, Beerkex'd, and for getting my GraKa to work again, and for kernel update, your tuts/posts are quite good,

V1nc3nt

Thanx for your help, I really appreciate it...

Everything worked fine (including the Kernel Update), and Warhammer Online does not longer complain about lack of OpenGl.

There, I told you! Good job.

Sometimes, when booting up, I get a Kernel panic, too; by the System UI, or such, still with Voodoo 9.8.0. It happens only sometimes, usually simply 8sec pressing power button, starting again and it works again.

When I get this KP next time, I will photograph it, and post the photo here, comparing it wth the one from Cider/W.A.R

I think you might have some sort of AMD specific problem, you know that apps (binaries) must be patched to work on an AMD Hackintosh right? The Voodoo Kernel should take care of that for you automatically, but maybe it's not picking up everything.

If your game is working fine before running that patch you are talking about, try running "Zephyroth's AMD patcher" (google) on the patcher. Don't ask me how to use it or anything else because I don't know. It's just something that I've heard about. Do your own research and see if it is something you can use. All I know is that it removes "CPU ID checks" from sofware, which is necessary on AMD platforms.

Maybe someone here has an idea of how to fix this Cider error :please

Do you think W.A.R could work in Snow leopard? I would appreciate it working in Leopard, but its quite important to me xD, so I would consider installing SL, if it someone said me It would work there...

There's a sub forum here on IM that deals with running games on a Hackintosh, also via Cider.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showforum=36

Ask over there and read what others have done, I'm sure you're not the only one with this problem. Maybe it's a bug in Cider, and not in the game or that "patcher" you mention.

However, thanks for your patience, Beerkex'd, and for getting my GraKa to work again, and for kernel update, your tuts/posts are quite good,

V1nc3nt

Thanks for the compliments man, I appreciate it. Sorry I can't help you with your game, and good luck in tracking down your kernel panic.

fwiw, someone reported the same kernel panic (Cider on AMD hackintosh) back in July 2009:

http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/issues/detail?id=296

There's also someone with the same kernel panic somewhere inside the original voodoo kernel release thread here on IM.

If it turns out to really be a Voodoo Kernel/AMD specific problem, I'm sorry to say that I think you're out of luck. Development on the Voodoo Kernel seems to have slowed down to a standstill.

Consider other options - like dual booting and use Windows for games, or try Cider in Linux if you don't want to use Windows.

Found these posts, too, here is my post including them

Yeah, thanx.

At the moment I have a quadboot as you see in my signature, so ubuntu, XP, Win7 and Mac OS X,

but I would love to only need one OS (Mac OS X). Because I only play Warhammer Online, I will now read into Snow leopard (because of the other Kernels), try to install it and have a quintboot xD

But thanx for your graka help, got me a lot nearer to Hackintosh.

I want to study informatics and every "bit" I learn helps me xD

Thanx,

V1nc3nt

• 5 months later...

BTW, Zephyroth's patcher works great :rolleyes:

I have specifically used this to patch Warhammer Online.app on an AMD Phenom ii hackintosh running 9.8 voodoo (Leopard).

I found the download link here: http://w18.easy-share.com/1702640535.html

If that doesn't work, google for AMD-Patcher-0.31.zip

before you start, TWO MORE THINGS

1. Warhammer kernel panics unless you are -force64 bit kernel mode. Found that out the hard/accidental way. Warhammer might even work simply in -force64 mode.

2. If you do use Zephyroth's patcher: After it's done patching, open terminal, go to where the new patched Warhammer Online.app is and type:

sudo chown -R yourusername:staff Warhammer\ Online.app. The AMD patcher sets the permissions to root:wheel which is much too restrictive for the app to run.