Installing OSX86 Problem

16 posts in this topic

:angel:

I have a copy of OSX86. I have Intel Core Duo Pentium D 805 and ASUS P5VDC-MX motherboard.

It starts to boot, I get the dark grey apple and spinny thing with the light grey background. It pauses for a few moments, no hard drive activity at all. Then a little circle with a slash comes up over the dark apple. Then nothing else occurs.

I have set the partition on the hard drive active. I have tried booting in safe mode using -x with no avail.

I assume that OSX86 should work perfectly on a Intel Core Duo 805 but I'm not sure what I'm having this problem.

Could someone help, purty please! Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

I'm sure there are many with a lot more to offer than me, but the post is pretty vague, hard to determine the problem, but I'll try to offer what I can. Try booting with the " -v " option turned on, and see what the hang up is. Are you trying to boot from a disc to install, or do you have it installed already on the HD and your trying to start the system?

If it has already been installed, my first bet would be it needs to be reinstalled. The little crossed out Apple thing usually indicates a corrupt system. I don't know if you're trying to dual boot, or how you're going about the setup. But I think the easiest way to get the system up and going would be to do a fresh install from a bootable DVD.

If you are trying to boot the install disc and it's doing that, you need to either re-burn the disc because there was an error when you first did it, or you need to find a new installation disc. Anyway, that's my two cents.

another thing that could cause that is if you didn't have SSE2 support, or if you didn't have SSE3 support and install disc didn't have the SSE2 patch on it. However seeing as you have a Core Duo, you should have everything up to SSE4, so you should be in good shape there. I mostly point this out for other people who are having this issue and are trying it on a Athlon XP or something.

What is the name of the ISO you downloaded? I do believe there is a good possibility that you got a bad distribution.

But do make sure you try this with the '-v' option so that you can see the text read out as to what's actually going on. That go with any kind of boot problem one might run into.

I appologize for being so vague.

I am attempting a new installation.

Upon booting up the system I reach the Darwin boot screen. It counts down from 8 seconds and if I would like additional options to press any key. I have tried the installation / booting up installation in safe mode and with the -v however the same outcome occurs.

The grey bg apple screen with the apple logo apears. The spinning thingo does its spinning and eventually a circle with a slash apears over the apple logo. Nothing else occurs.

In the -v mode it waits for a device that never becomes available? I can't remember exactly what it says, I will get that information right now... then I will post it back here.

I think I might have a bad installation version. My hardware shouldn't be an issue, considering I have the same processor as the new Macs. I am currently downloading new installation now, that will hopefully work.

Thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Okay I just tried again, so I could get the information about the problem. I have taken some pics on my mobile and uploaded them online.

180743930_bf0ed211fb.jpg?v=0

180743928_f738c221c3.jpg?v=0

180743927_7c818f9653.jpg?v=0

180743932_7407462b62.jpg?v=0

In order of appearence. :whistle:

It stops at the message "Still waiting for root device." But what is the root device it's speaking of? HDD I assume?

You need to reinstall and use the 'customize' option. I was also forgotten this and got the same slashed circle!

I'm not going to try installing it again though, it seems my wireless and soundcard isn't supported either. What a waste of time :(

I have that to i got a P4 2.6 (no sse3 X_X) but the fatherest ive gotten is to the install menu (ill take a picture next time i try)

i get to the install part and it says my partition only 4.7 (the size of the iso) im gonna try again and take pics.

I have the same problem as well using the same image that you mentioned (MaC.OsX.10.4.5.Universal.Install.DVD(INTEL:AMD:SSE3:SSE2)). I am running an AMD 64 3200+ however. I found that there seems to be something wrong with the selection of the volume to load on, so I entered "rd=disk0s2" since I wanted to install on that volume (first HD, second partition) and I got it to load past that error. So I'm guessing that if you select the correct volume using the "rd=" on that boot menu then it might work. I found, however, that even though it gets past that, it hangs up while loading the kernel for install, anybody have an idea what this might be?

I also have the same problem same image.

I set active partition.

also used "rd=disk0s2" to get past it

got same hang up while loading the kernel for install.

SYS: P4 530 3.0ghz intel mobo 915gmh sata hdd jas 10.4.6

I have an ASROCK 939DUAL-SATA2 with a ULi chipset. On the osx86project.org website it shows this as being a supported MB. I have an active partition set, and everything is setup correctly in partition magic, but it still hangs on the kernel load.

Waiting for root is likely due to an incorrect boot map. I had that problem with my 10.4.5 install as well. I used Apple's Disk Utility to set the partition active. However, the HD I used had previously been messed with (by me). I suspected the boot settings and so, using fdisk (win98 startup disk), I re-initialized the HD by deleting the existing partition(s) and then installed a new partition (non DOS?) but did not format it. (You have to restart your Win98 startup after the partitioning to set the drive). I then booted into my DVD OS X 10.4.5 install disk and used Disk Utility to format the partition for OS X (journaled). I re-installed and it booted fine!!!! (except for kexts issues below...but no hangup in the boot as you have experienced). So I can say it was very likely the boot setting of the HD that was the problem... OS X was looking for the wrong place on the HD for the root.

I did have two additional problems with my system (AS Rock with Intel 915 graphics) that you may or may not have:

Initially, my network card (onboard) would not load and my on-board soundcard would not load (kexts).

However, I knew they worked becasue I had previously loaded 10.4.3 native from DVD and they worked fine, using the same setup but a different HD.

Since the system reported failure to load the kexts, I suspected that I would have to use the Kexts from my 10.4.3 system in the newer one. I copied AppleAC97Audio kext, Apple02Audio kext and the IONetworkingFamily kext onto a CD (burned using Toast on my 10.4.3 sytem). I then installed these after booting into my 10.4.5 system by using the Terminal.

First you have to delete the offending kexts for network and sound from your 10.4.5 system using the rm command. ( use sudo -S to sign on as root with the same password you used to set up your OSX loggin).

Next copy the kexts from the CD into your HD root (copy them onto the HD image to get them to the root). Then use cp in the Terminal to copy them to the Extensions folder (System/Library/Extensions).

Then, close out of Terminal and go to the Disk Utility and fix your permissions (must do this step!).

Then reboot. It worked for me.

Steve