Snow leopard + ApplePIIXATA problem

LioNEXT

7 posts in this topic

Folks, please help me get through this.

I have installed snow leopard using this guide, which has worked very well for me before on a gigabyte board, and I think it will work for xw8400 as well, if not for that damned ApplePIIXATA.kext problem:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Problem: Be it USB install that I tried before or the above guide install and reboot direct from snow leopard install, the boot kernel panics at ApplePIIXATA (IOATAFamily). I tried to look into BIOS, unfortunately I cannot see any option where I can get only AHCI, so that I can remove ApplePIIXATA and be not worried about it. There are only three options 1) Separate IDE controller (primary + secondary); 2) Combined IDE controller; 3) RAID+AHCI. I have tried using 3 options, and removing ApplePIIXATA and it still panics. So now I just leave this kext there. Another issue is I might need ApplePIIXATA anyway since I have optical drive attached on the IDE port of mobo (please correct if this is wrong assumption).

Please guide me to choose a patched ApplePIIXATA.kext or a patched IOATAFamily kext, so that I can run two SATA hard drives (attached on SATA ports buy controlled by separate IDE controller) and an optical drive attached to IDE port.

Specs:

HP xw8400 workstation

Intel Xeon 5130 Core 2 duo processor,

8GB Ram,

512 MB 9800GT card

(Leopard has worked excellent on this; no issues with sleep or restart, or upgrades; even dsdt was not needed)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

let me know how you solved it, I have the same setup (except I have a 880GTS), but the problem is exactly the same, damn piix ata.

Sorry for getting back late here. But I figured out. I can write a detailed post later (remind me with PM if you are still lost), but I will try quickly telling you what I did, especially since that is my office computer, and I am at home right now.

First of all, after trying so many things which were just not working out, DVD boot or USB boot method, I tried this post and it worked wonders.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

While installing, remember that do only the "essential" install, and uncheck all the optional things. Later you can install the BSD package and applications and printers etc.

Check out all the options that this patch installer gives you. Sometimes, the Extra kexts are not installed. You can go back to options and just redo it. Also, I figured my 8800GT worked best (CE/QI) when I used the Netkas 10.5 boot file (while installing I chose the chameleon RC3 package). I also chose to change the com.apple.boot.plist file to include the following kernel flags -v -x32 arch=i386.

Now about PIIXATA. You will still have problem when you will reboot after installation. So I used the source code patch for IOATAFamily.kext supplied by this gentleman, and it worked best. Remove the AppleIntelPIIXATA from the plugin folder alltogether. This alone worked for me and no kernel panic. Now you can also additionally do this and it should work okay. download the patched PIIXATA from deneb, and then install directly in the Extensions folder. Dont forget to remove the caches from Startup folder in the Caches folder (new location for mkext file). Also, remove all the PIIXATA kexts or any IOATA related kexts from Extra/Stored_Kexts (or Extensions) folder. Just keep fakesmc, ATY_init and IOAHCI and this enough. Remove the Extensions.mkext from Extra folder and regenerate it.

Finally, when you are ready to boot for the first time from snow leopard, boot as

-s -v arch=i386 -x32

then generate kextcache as outlined in the link above (or:

kextcache -v 1(this is one, and not l) -m -t /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

if you encounter any trouble here (like authentication etc), just do this

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

and then run the kextcache command again.

Once you are done with this, reboot and again use -v -x32 arch=i386, and you will be fine.

If you are good to go, then you can remove this kernel flags from boot plist file as well and you will be booting in 64 bit mode. Also dont forget to install the Netkas boot file.

finally if you get the startup screen reloop, let me know and I will tell you what to do.

good luck.

• 1 month later...
Now about PIIXATA. You will still have problem when you will reboot after installation. So I used the source code patch for IOATAFamily.kext supplied by this gentleman, and it worked best. Remove the AppleIntelPIIXATA from the plugin folder alltogether. This alone worked for me and no kernel panic. Now you can also additionally do this and it should work okay. download the patched PIIXATA from deneb, and then install directly in the Extensions folder.

Can you upload your working IOATAFamily.kext? I tried to make it by myself, but my xw8400 still fall in kernel panic.

• 4 months later...

Here's my walkthrough with Snow Leopard Hazard distro 10.6.2 - for x8400

(I had leopard installed on another drive which helped but not necessary)

select from installer

10.6.1 / 10.6.2 / chameleon rc3 / rosetta

(found adding these things post install painful)

-

then booted up from other drive and removed the appleTyMedia??? kext

and replaced the ioata with patched kext...

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186609

(deleted the new startup kext cache as above)

added these boot flags (-v -x32 arch=i386)

and GraphicsEnabler = Yes

all good with my gts250 nvidia card (Colorful - no kext needed)

however,

at this point removing com.apple.boot.plist flags

I get dreaded "still waiting on root device..."

and I then have to remove the startup kext cache and re add flags to get it to boot again.

(tried to replace the boot file with this one

http://www.kexts.com/view/4-boot_-_snow_le..._by_netkas.html

but this left my graphics card not fully working.

I reverted the netkas boot file, and installed the RC4 chameleon.

http://www.kexts.com/view/198-chameleon_2...._installer.html

Now it's fully booting with 64 bit with graphics.

sweet.