A new type of distro?

jeflong

4 posts in this topic

OK. Im sure someone came up with this before.. so flame on no worries..

I recently worked out how to update my iPc 10.5.6 install to 10.5.8

The key (at least for a n00b like me) was to reboot into the iPc dvd and reinstall the kernel and kexts that I needed over the top of the update, with the OsX unchecked.

This got me thinking.. I know there's a big movement of people advocating these retail installs and still a lot (including myself) who can't get the retail thing going, but would be happy to buy the software (I already have a Snow DVD. I also have Leo & Leo server retail, Tiger Retail, Panther Update and Jag retail.. don't get me started on hardware.. Apple has my pound of flesh already..)

Is there any way we can build an installer like PCWiz's which gives a choice of kernels, kexts etc And installs them properly over a vanilla OsX install??

This would obviously be a much smaller download than the 3-4gb we're used to, and hopefully have less legal issues..

Ideally when software update wanted something new you could just make sure you have the latest version of this installer (which would hopefully evolve to collect all the best working Snow kexts etc), then run the update, run this package over the top and then restart..

Is this possible ?

OK. Im sure someone came up with this before.. so flame on no worries..

I recently worked out how to update my iPc 10.5.6 install to 10.5.8

The key (at least for a n00b like me) was to reboot into the iPc dvd and reinstall the kernel and kexts that I needed over the top of the update, with the OsX unchecked.

This got me thinking.. I know there's a big movement of people advocating these retail installs and still a lot (including myself) who can't get the retail thing going, but would be happy to buy the software (I already have a Snow DVD. I also have Leo & Leo server retail, Tiger Retail, Panther Update and Jag retail.. don't get me started on hardware.. Apple has my pound of flesh already..)

Is there any way we can build an installer like PCWiz's which gives a choice of kernels, kexts etc And installs them properly over a vanilla OsX install??

This would obviously be a much smaller download than the 3-4gb we're used to, and hopefully have less legal issues..

Ideally when software update wanted something new you could just make sure you have the latest version of this installer (which would hopefully evolve to collect all the best working Snow kexts etc), then run the update, run this package over the top and then restart..

Is this possible ?

You could modify the distribution file in OSInstall.mpkg and make your own packages to be installed, this can be done on Leopard and Snow Leopard the file in 10.4 and older is somthing different.

To open it you need something that can extract xar files. you could compile and build xar by hand if you have the developing tools. or you could download something like BetterZip Trial and copy the osinstall to your desktop, rename it OSInstall.xar open it with betterzip copy the distribution file out edit it using textedit or any text editor and drag it back into the betterzip window and save it then rename it back to OSInstall.mpkg. You also have to replace the mach_kernel, extensions in the installer to allow it to boot.

I got my snow leopard to boot and install but i still have problems with my packages.

The technique you describe is really awful and essentially downgrades an upgraded machine adding to the problems inherent in the "version salad" that is iPC in the first place. Putting installation packages on the preboot media has been around almost as long as preboot cds, I even made one myself in the "Lifeboat 13" cd (please don't use this, it's badly out of date, buggy and was meant as a prototype). Stuff like prasys' Empire EFI (which I haven't tried myself ) are clearly efforts in this direction. HOWEVER: the basic technique of updating and then reinstalling packages as you describe is a BAD IDEA, far better to use a more modern method of boot-time patching with /Extra or whatever. Your problem is firstly that you're patching the main install again and again, which is messy and quickly causes problems, and secondly that you're clinging to point-&-click installers which leave you unaware of what you installed. Whereas this might have been survivable in tiger, with snow leopard the install needs to be tailored to each machine and remaining ignorant of the underlying tech is no longer a viable option.

You could modify the distribution file in OSInstall.mpkg and make your own packages to be installed, this can be done on Leopard and Snow Leopard the file in 10.4 and older is somthing different.

To open it you need something that can extract xar files. you could compile and build xar by hand if you have the developing tools. or you could download something like BetterZip Trial and copy the osinstall to your desktop, rename it OSInstall.xar open it with betterzip copy the distribution file out edit it using textedit or any text editor and drag it back into the betterzip window and save it then rename it back to OSInstall.mpkg. You also have to replace the mach_kernel, extensions in the installer to allow it to boot.

I got my snow leopard to boot and install but i still have problems with my packages.

just a brief comment that this technique is way overcomplicated, using Apple's Flat Package Editor makes it all much easier, and thanks to modbin, it is possible to store and run the osinstall.mpkg separately from the main installer packages, i.e. on the preboot media leaving the original install media untouched.

The technique you describe is really awful and essentially downgrades an upgraded machine adding to the problems inherent in the "version salad" that is iPC in the first place. Putting installation packages on the preboot media has been around almost as long as preboot cds, I even made one myself in the "Lifeboat 13" cd (please don't use this, it's badly out of date, buggy and was meant as a prototype). Stuff like prasys' Empire EFI (which I haven't tried myself ) are clearly efforts in this direction. HOWEVER: the basic technique of updating and then reinstalling packages as you describe is a BAD IDEA, far better to use a more modern method of boot-time patching with /Extra or whatever. Your problem is firstly that you're patching the main install again and again, which is messy and quickly causes problems, and secondly that you're clinging to point-&-click installers which leave you unaware of what you installed. Whereas this might have been survivable in tiger, with snow leopard the install needs to be tailored to each machine and remaining ignorant of the underlying tech is no longer a viable option.

just a brief comment that this technique is way overcomplicated, using Apple's Flat Package Editor makes it all much easier, and thanks to modbin, it is possible to store and run the osinstall.mpkg separately from the main installer packages, i.e. on the preboot media leaving the original install media untouched.

First i was doing this on a ppc mac laptop with no flat package editor(i installed dev tools could not find it anywere nither could spotlight), Second im running a AMD system most of those EFI loaders will not run. lastly I agree with your point on distros for snow leopard would be much harder to do and all i wanted to do was make a dvd that would install snow leopard for my own use that had my drivers/ kernel, ect. Could you recomend a better way of atleast getting my drivers/kernels installed, modfiy the base sysem pakages?