ATI Radeon Mobility x1300 kext issues

corsairrowell

24 posts in this topic

Hello all. I'm still having issues with my Mobility x1300. While I have been able to fix the resolution issue using RadeonHD.kext, I can't get QE/CI working. Using ATIRadeonx1000.kext only creates a black screen with artifacts and weird colors where the dock and menu bar should be

post-456003-1263680210_thumb.jpg

I have installed versions of ATIRadeonx1000.kext, and super_engine has been kind enough to edit a copy for my device ID, which also lead to the artifacts.

PLEASE, Please, if anybody has anything to help me out I wold be EXTREMELY thankful. I am using a Dell Inspiron 6400, and I know for a fact people have been able to make this card/laptop combo work, I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks to all!

Unfortunately it didn't work. It just causes a black screen after restart, and the installer always says "install failed, can't run postflight script".

If I hook up an external monitor, the screen on the external turns flat blue, and then when I switch back to internal the internal (that was black) turns the same type of blue.

Frustrating! :)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59218

Step 1: Install it!

Step 2: Go to disk utility.

Step 3: Do Repair Permissions at the bottom of the Disk Utlity screen.

Step 4: Shut down your computer! (Shut Down not restart!)

Step 5: Plug in your VGA CABLE! (NOT DVI! DVI DOESN'T WORK WITH IT!)

Step 6: Start your computer, boot up, wait untill it loads to desktop.

Step 7: Go to Display option in System Prefrences and change res. and refresh rate!

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=59218

Step 1: Install it!

Step 2: Go to disk utility.

Step 3: Do Repair Permissions at the bottom of the Disk Utlity screen.

Step 4: Shut down your computer! (Shut Down not restart!)

Step 5: Plug in your VGA CABLE! (NOT DVI! DVI DOESN'T WORK WITH IT!)

Step 6: Start your computer, boot up, wait untill it loads to desktop.

Step 7: Go to Display option in System Prefrences and change res. and refresh rate!

Unfortunately that didn't really work. Folloeing those instructions did help one thing though....I can use an external monitor. System Profiler also has a new entry under Graphics "Rotation", which is listed as supported.

However, System Profiler still lists Quartz Extream as being unsupported. Also, even if i set the display settings to match the internal LCDs specs exactly (1280*786@60hz), switching to the internal after booting with the external results in "stripes" of various parts of the ddesktop image being displayed on the internal. WhenI switch back, the exernal also displays this.

The system will not even boot on the internal, it just displays a black sccreen, and if I attach the external after trying to boot on the intenral, the system seems to be hanging at the Apple logo.

i replaced the ATIRadeonx1000.kext supplied withthe installer with one custom modified by super_engine for me with proper device IDs. This seems to have fixed a color issue that happened with the intial boot on the external screen.

Thanks for the link though, it still moved me forward a bit! Any other ideas?

Good news, I got it working! both QE/CI are enabled.

I installed the ATIRadeonx1000.kext modified for my device ID, and RadeonHD.kext.

At first, I got many kernel panics and weird colors, but the trick to making it work was to REMOVE ATINDRV.kext AND ATIDRV.kext.

Now the system works great. The only issue is the mouse has artifacts andd tearing. Is there a soultion to this, I'm currently using mighty mouse, but i don't really want to buy it. Any free solution?

I used a new distro, iAtkos v7. Battery, power settings, bluetooth, and sound all work out of the box, and the touchpad works with multitouch support with VoodooPS2 with trackpad support. Very stable too.

Hopefully this thread helps somebody out!

Thanks for your help!

Wow nice news:) You are welcome

i have x1550 on my desktop. There is some problem with x1300 and x1550. I have iatkos v7 with updated 10.5.8 so i can't use DVI out but i use VGA output and it doesn't work on Snow leopard 10.6.2.

Anyhow i have steable system. I'm looking for how to enable dvi out on 10.5.8.

I installed the ATIRadeonx1000.kext modified for my device ID, and RadeonHD.kext.

At first, I got many kernel panics and weird colors, but the trick to making it work was to REMOVE ATINDRV.kext AND ATIDRV.kext.

Now the system works great. The only issue is the mouse has artifacts andd tearing. Is there a soultion to this, I'm currently using mighty mouse, but i don't really want to buy it. Any free solution?

I used a new distro, iAtkos v7. Battery, power settings, bluetooth, and sound all work out of the box, and the touchpad works with multitouch support with VoodooPS2 with trackpad support. Very stable too.

Thanks for your help!

Hi, can you tell me how u did it, I have exact the same problem with u? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...c=208626&hl=

I only see ATIRNDRV.kext and ATINdrv.kext on s/l/e, I don't see ATIDRV.kext. Probably because the different the distro. i use iDENEB1.4. thank you.

this may solve the mouse tear problem, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190586

Frankly, I think that I just got lucky with the distro being highly compatible with my laptop. I didn't really do anything special with ATIRadeonx1000.kext and used RadeonHD.kext to get resolution options.

Deleting the two kexts I mentioned fixed all of my problems. I'd suggest to delete one, see what happens, then delete the other and see.

Remember to fix permissions! Even after just removing a kext! I forgot to do that once in this process and things were pretty screwed up.

iAtkos seems to come stock with some great features for laptops anyway, so maybe try it out.

Good luck, wish I could help you more! I'm not super knowledgeable about this stuff yet. :-p

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your help!

Hey,

I was hoping to get some help. I've installed iDeneb 10.5.7 on my Thinkpad T60 - it's a Core 2 machine with the mobility Radeon x1300 and Intel 3945ABG wifi.

The install went flawlessly. When I boot, I boot to a black screen. Adjusting the bios to use an external monitor let me boot up fine with all resolutions shown, but I can't seem to get the internal LCD to work with the drivers installed.

I removed ATINDRV and ATIRNDRV kexts and have successfully gotten the machine to boot with VESA graphics in 1024x768 but now I can't switch resolutions.

Yes I did edit the X1000.kext so that the info.plist file has my radeon's device ID [1002:7149] - the default was 7146 I believe.

Any suggestions?

Hey,

I was hoping to get some help. I've installed iDeneb 10.5.7 on my Thinkpad T60 - it's a Core 2 machine with the mobility Radeon x1300 and Intel 3945ABG wifi.

The install went flawlessly. When I boot, I boot to a black screen. Adjusting the bios to use an external monitor let me boot up fine with all resolutions shown, but I can't seem to get the internal LCD to work with the drivers installed.

I removed ATINDRV and ATIRNDRV kexts and have successfully gotten the machine to boot with VESA graphics in 1024x768 but now I can't switch resolutions.

Yes I did edit the X1000.kext so that the info.plist file has my radeon's device ID [1002:7149] - the default was 7146 I believe.

Any suggestions?

Alright, so I've solved my problem.

I restored atindrv and atirndrv, and in addition to editing atiradeonx1000.kext I edited atiradeonx1000ga to reflect the device id (7149) of my video card.

The Thinkpad now boots into native resolution 1024x768x32 with QE enabled.

The addition of a USB wifi card (the built in is an intel 3945) will complete my $379 macbook.

• 1 year later...

10.6.8 broke video.

The machine would boot, but I think the screen would freeze with the gray apple and spinning beach ball (which would eventually freeze). I think what happened is that the machine completed booting but the screen froze in the process.

Ended up going into BIOS and changing my Thinkpad's T60 BIOS settings to a a PCIe video card from built in internal video. This enabled the machine to start up and work. Native resolution, no QE, but the video card is read as PCIe with 3megs of VRAM in system profiler (which it clearly isn't) and some video things (for instance, fonts in iWork) do not work.

Not sure what else to do to the kext/configuration to fix this.