Display Resolution Problem

phil a meant

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have successfully installed JAS 10.4.6 on one partition of my hackintosh (Aopen i945GA-PLF with Intel Pentium d 805) and it works GREAT (sleeps, QE & CI, only thing that doesn't work is built-in audio, but I have an external M-Audio Ozone USB that works perfectly)! However, I want to move my partition to another. I've tried CCC and SuperDuper!, but the resulting GPT (Guid Partition Table) won't boot on my machine. So, I've tried to reinstall from scratch on the new drive (both are SATA drives).

Although the system installs okay, upon rebooting my monitor resolutions are not detected on the new partition. On the old (still existing) partition, it properly detects the LCD monitor I'm using and shows all the resolutions available in the 'display' preference pane. In addition, it shows a button 'Detect Displays' on the preference panel. When I reboot into my new partition, however, I'm stuck at 1024x768 (not my native 1280x1024 resolution) and there is no 'Detect Displays' button. In addition, display sleep doesn't work on the new partition, although I still have QE & CI. What is going on? I've done the reinstall multiple times now, but it always ends up the same. I've repaired preferences and tried everything I can think of to get it working- to no avail.

This is VERY perplexing since my original partition works SO WELL! Does anyone have any idea how this could be fixed? Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Phil

u should try acronis disk director suite to make a copy of the working parition though u have to have windows but if u have another pc with cd burner install it on that and just burn the recue cd thingy bob thats u can boot of that cd and make a copy of the partition

u should try acronis disk director suite to make a copy of the working parition though u have to have windows but if u have another pc with cd burner install it on that and just burn the recue cd thingy bob thats u can boot of that cd and make a copy of the partition

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, I have both XP and Acronis and am able to back up the partition successfully using your method. However, I was hoping to move the installation to a larger partition AND I would like to be able to repeat the successful installation from scratch in case anything ever gets f**ked or if I don't want to back up the entire 40Gb partition.

On a similar note: Is there a way to expand an existing OSX partition (HFS+ format)

Anyone have any idea what's going on with the display resolution? I wonder whether a graphics card or DVI ADD2 card would help?