How to edit the extensions.mkext?

4 posts in this topic

I have been following the guide here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190295

to install SL on my eee 901.

I have some problems with the extension.mkext in the extra folder. If I use the extensions.mkext from the above post, my harddrive appears as external drive. Also after I install the Ralink driver, it won't work.

On the other hand, if I use the extension file generated by Netbookinstaller, the harddrive is normal, wireless is working, however I can't have the sound card.

Is there a way to manually modify the extenions.mkext?

I have been following the guide here

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190295

to install SL on my eee 901.

I have some problems with the extension.mkext in the extra folder. If I use the extensions.mkext from the above post, my harddrive appears as external drive. Also after I install the Ralink driver, it won't work.

On the other hand, if I use the extension file generated by Netbookinstaller, the harddrive is normal, wireless is working, however I can't have the sound card.

Is there a way to manually modify the extenions.mkext?

You can rebuild the Extensions.mkext manually using the command below as root user in the Terminal.app replacing the Install_Name part with what your hard drive partition is actually named. You should not be using one from any other source than what is in your /Extra/Extensions/ folder unless you have exactly the same .kext installed on your system. The Extension.mkext is supposed to be specific to the machines .kext installed so make sure to do this correctly or it can lead to problems. Basically every time you make a change in your /Extra/Extensions/ folder by putting in a new .kext or removing one you must rebuild the cache (the Extensions.mkext file) then reboot to have the changes used/seen by the system when this file is read on boot.

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Install_Name/Extra/Extensions/

Thanks mate, I see I can either put the kext in the /Extra or in the /System/Library/Extentions. And there are some of the kext such as IO80211Family that appear in both places. So where should I place the new kext? If there is a conflict, the kext in which folder is actually used?

Thanks mate, I see I can either put the kext in the /Extra or in the /System/Library/Extentions. And there are some of the kext such as IO80211Family that appear in both places. So where should I place the new kext? If there is a conflict, the kext in which folder is actually used?

The duplicates you can see in the /Extra/Extensions folder most times only contain an Info.plist file in them that injects additional device id's so the system will see that our devices will work with OS X. You want to try the /Extra/Extensions folder first as OS X does not really know this exists and will never update a .kext in there preserving our changes during a system update. There is a number called the IOProbeScore if I remember it correctly contained in the .kext's, the higher the number the greater priority to having that .kext loaded. With our .kext only being dummies containing an Info.plist file in them most times these simply replace the Info.plist in the already existing .kext allowing our hardware to be used by an existing driver.