Installation on Zotac Mag

59 posts in this topic

the thread here claims wifi should be supported out of the box with 10.6.3 & 10.6.4, but it isnt. I also have a DSDT.aml that i compiled from the output of a linux MINT pendrive booted on the exact same hardware with the exact same bios setup for the cpu settings so that the DSDT that was generated should have exactly what i need for the HDEF audio.

I never said it was supported OOB now, i said it would be in 10.6.5 :P

I posted a link here of the kext you need wifi (post 24)

As for the audio, the DSDT provided in this thread has already had the HDEF section patched. The solution was 2 parts, the HDEF definition and a patched applehda kext which was also provided by twilight in this thread. There are a few ways to get it working though, although everything seemed to work correctly for me with this solution, and only shows the ports you actually have. (even shows up correctly in system info)

If I remember correctly, neither really worked correctly until I upgraded to 10.6.3+ for whatever reason.(which is probably where the confusion came from) i.e neither solution works in 10.6.2 or less.

@enderffx going to be hard to get someone to post you an image. Although I was thinking making a simple step by step.. just this thread has been dead for a month or two heh..

• 2 weeks later...
@enderffx going to be hard to get someone to post you an image. Although I was thinking making a simple step by step.. just this thread has been dead for a month or two heh..

I'll post a bounty for a reproducible, step by step walk-through. I made a donation for Kakewalk on the machine I use as the household server, and I'd gladly, glady make a donation for step-by-step instructions. The only issue is, my bounty alone wouldn't be nearly enough to justify the time for a well-written walk-through, I'm afraid. Still, I'll offer:

Terms for a US$20 bounty:

• Must be payable through Paypal.
  • Email address must be linked to the poster in this thread that announces the walk-through.
  • Walk-through must work.
  • Files must be linked from a source where they'll generally be widely available.
  • Support Mac OS X 10.6.4
  • Mac OS X is ultimately installed from and boots off of the internal hard drive.
  • HDMI video (obviously)
  • Nvidia video acceleration must work in, say, Plex (the whole idea is to have 1080p playing movies on this thing!)
  • HDMI audio must work.
  • Must use Mac OS X 10.6 retail disk or image.
  • Must be descriptive enough that Hackintosh n00bs can work through it. Assume that everyone knows how to use Terminal and Mac OS in general, but don't write a walk-through that's a bunch of links to other howtos.
  • Must be announced and made available in this thread for the general public. Feel free to ask for donations.
  • This isn't a work for hire. It's all yours. Again, feel free to ask for donations.
  • It's okay to open the MAG's case and connect the drive to a Mac if necessary.

If you can do a walk-through for all of the above, *and* make it work without opening the Zotac's case, I'll up the ante to US$30. USB thumb drives are acceptable.

Quite frankly, even with Kakewalk I had to do a lot of homework and figure out how to get little details working, so the point of being specific about all of the above isn't for my benefit, but for the benefit of others who've not gone through much of what we've all gone through.

(Honestly, I'm hesitant to offer a reward. In a lot of cases, it's a huge de-motivator. You know: "Hey, buddy, wanna help me move?" Sure, you'll help out a friend. That's versus, "Hey, buddy, wanna help me move? I'll give you $10." That suddenly becomes a job, and a low-paying one at that.)

(And I'm good for the bounty, and if the walk-through gets us a reasonably easy-to-follow walkthrough, I'm not going to be a jerk and say that the 11th bullet point is inadequately addressed and so screw you.)

I do this for fun, I'm not going to take a reward :robot:

I can do pretty much everything you mention except for:

(HDMI audio must work.)

I'd have to check as I don't currently have it working. I'm not even sure if anyone has figured it out for the ION in general but I can check.. perhaps voodoo driver or something.

Is this a dealbreaker?

I do this for fun, I'm not going to take a reward :P

I can do pretty much everything you mention except for:

(HDMI audio must work.)

I'd have to check as I don't currently have it working. I'm not even sure if anyone has figured it out for the ION in general but I can check.. perhaps voodoo driver or something.

Is this a dealbreaker?

Well, if you're not going to take the reward, then it's not a deal-breaker! :)

It so happens that most of my problems with the Kakewalk server build was getting HDMI audio working, which I finally made happen, so no, it's not a deal-breaker. We can work on HDMI audio later, and use some extra cables in the mean time.

I did also forget to mention.

There are a few requirements for my process.

-4GB+ USB key (no optical drive and you don't want to remove the HD so this is quite obvious)

-Mac OSX retail image or DVD (really you need an image, how you create it whether it be from the retail DVD or not does not mater).

-Another OSX machine(hackintosh real mac or virtual machine does not really matter, its much easier to make a bootable OSX usb key in OSX). There could be other ways, but this would be far less complicated (nor can I confirm it would work as I have not done it)

FYI Optical audio (spdif) and analog audio does work, just not hdmi audio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi... several months ago i tryed to install OSX with no success. Now i want to re-try.

I have the OSX Leopard 10.6 DvD Install Retail (6.2 Gb) and i try to install it with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] CD with no success.

Before it i have tryed several distribuitions of OSX.

I have change the wi-fi cards with one OSX compatibile.

Can anyone guide me in the installation process ??

What iso do you install ?? what's hardware functionally ??

Best Regards

• 10 months later...

Wondering if anyone has had any updates on their success with the Zotac Mag. I set out a few days ago to try and install OS X on my zotac, and just wanted to report back.

First off, I managed to make a 8GB USB stick with Snow Leopard install and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] built in. This worked quite well on the zotac, and allowed me to install OS X without much trouble.

After booting into my fresh install, I needed to upgrade to the latest SL (10.6.8), so I decided to follow http://tonymacx86.bl...ac-os-x-on.html . Using the DSDT.aml found in this thread along with the boot.plist and smbios. However, I have run across the problem that after running the combo update and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], that the system will not boot afterwards. I get the bootloader fine, and with -v selected, I can see stuff loading, but then when it switches to where it should boot the desktop, I just get a blank screen.

I'm not quite sure what this is an indication of, and not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

Also, for anyone else who's interested, I followed this link to make the USB stick: http://howtohackintosh.wordpress.com/guides/snowleopardusbflashdriveinstallation-guide/

Edited by Corey

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, just wanted to put an update on the thread to say that I finally got this working. So, my setup is this:

• OS X 10.6.8 (retail disc+combo update)
  • Wifi (Working)
  • Sound (working, though there's some fuzziness)
  • Graphics (working)
  • LAN (working)
  • HDMI (not tested)
  • Optical Audio (not tested)

If anyone would like my to write a guide on how I did this, please let me know and I'll do it. I may do it anyways in case I want to do this again in the future.

Thanks to all those of posted to this thread, it was a great help for a lot of things.

• Like 1