Installation on Zotac Mag

59 posts in this topic

At this point... in this afternoon i re-try to install Snow Leopard, or OSXPCBETA directly putting the MAG hdd into the other hackintosh.

Then i mounting the Retail image and install in the MAG hdd. At finish if everything was fine, i install chameleon.

For posting the DSDT.aml file i must install OSX first, when i install it i'll take it from windows OS.

As i saied, the Snow Leopard Hazard is the only distro that will install fine by a e-SATA DVD. The installation was fine (i don't have any idea of what's the best options to check during customization of the installation...if anyone can suggest something will be good!). At the first reboot i get a KP.

If i install fine by e-SATA DVD, can i at the first boot loading Windows OS with MAC drive installed that show me the OS partition and overwrite some files ?!?! There is any possibility that then the ZOTAC MAG will boot OSX ?? If you think yes.. how are the files that i must overwrite or adding ?!?

Regards

First Option : Install from SATA DVD - Snow Leopard Hazard DVD 10.6.X

I put every voice of the bios setting as you suggest... Hypertreading disabled too ...

08-vi.jpg

I launch the installation with this options : -v -x cpus=1 arch=i386

I choose this customization installation options :

- Boot Loader Only : Chameleon RC3_PCEFI 10.5

- Kernels : Intel Atom 10.2.0

- Graphics : NvEnabler , NVInject , GraphicEnabler

- Audio : ALC888b

- SATA-ATA FIX

- APPLERTC

The installation go fine for about 12 -15 minutes.

At first reboot i type : -v -x cpus=1 and get this :

07-vi.jpg

Can i do something now for fixing this screen ?!? I have a Windows partition with MacDrive installed so i can add file from there.

This is the first option...if it is better i can pull out the sata 2,5" hard disk and put into a hackintosh for trying to install Snow Leopard Retail from there...but with this first option i have installed 3 Snow Leopard into 3 different PC without problems.

Can you help me please ?!?

Regards

I only install retail OSX - if you want help with some hacked-about 'distro' try its dedicated forum - there will be FAQs & so on.

'Version mis-match beween CPU & kernel" is probably exactly what it says: you're probably not using the right (teateam) kernel for 10.6.2, &/or SleepEnabler or a wrong version of SleepEnabler is present, as seems the case from your screenshot.

10.6.0 is fairly simple to install if you have a dsdt with the CPU alias' removed, turn HTT off, & have AHCI as your SATA mode.

You appear not to be able to read what I have written at least twice: use GraphicEnabler in Chameleon/PC-EFI for your graphics.

Don't use plural means to do the same thing [nvinject/nvenabler as well as GraphicEnabler].

Ok. Tomorrow i will try with only GraphicEnabler. But i will like to know if it is possible to correct a bad installation with overwriting files instead of make new installations every time i want to try something else.

Best Regards

. . . But i will like to know if it is possible to correct a bad installation with overwriting files instead of make new installations every time i want to try something else.
. . ummmm: depends a bit how happy you are at the command-line.

You *can* make add & remove kexts & other boot-files & make a new Extensions.mkext in /E/E [or wherever it goes now] with this HDD mounted in another SL install.

IME best to start with a very simple minimal install of retail 10.6.0 & take it from there.

Tomorrow i will try another time first a clear installation with only graphicenabler and then a retail installation with hdd mounted on another mac. In that case i must installing Snow Leopard mounting it as virtual image without any modding ??? The files will be modified later installation ??

...tomorrow it will be the 33 days of triing installation on this machine. :)

But thanks you very much for your support and for explaining me every post in the better way you can.

You are right !! But maybe you don't remember that i saied to have tried every installation's options (without drivers selection too) and OSXPCBETA2010.iso version too, that i have downloaded because i see that you installed this one. But it is a hacked version of Snow Leopard and have drivers check options during installation. You haven't expained as clear as possible the checked options of your fine installation.

So i accept the suggestions...i am a newbie in the OSX systems,as i saied, but i have tried all.

So if you can tell me what's you checked during the OSXPCBETA installation with a first boot funcionally i can try and confirm it. There isn't at this moment a clear guide for installing OSX into the Zotac MAG, from all users.

Your way of installation.. without SATA drive and with OSXPCBETA (that is a hacked snow leopard version) and then the update to a Retail Snow Leopard isn't the most common way that the user usually do, for other ION pc too.

In the last installation if i don't check SATA ATA FIX the system won't boot either in the verbose mode. The ACL888 is the audio chip i have taked pictures. The Kernels i have choose is the Atom Kernel (i have atom 330). I have choose 3 drivers for video card, but choosing only one the results are the same, and i try to check only graphic enabler next time... so we will se what's happen.

I'm beginning to lose hope... so i'm continuing to use Microsoft Only.

Best Regards

sleddas , I am sorry about hear what you said.

I can't remember what custom option I select during installation of OSXPCBETA2010.ISO

I still recommend you install OSXPCBETA2010.ISO, the select like below picture and add a AppleNForceATA. No more other option select.

Custom Selection Picture

First boot parameter is : -v -f cpus=1 or -v -f -x32 cpus=1

This simply installation take more chance to first boot ok.

Then you can handle other driver lately , so don't select more other option.

The boot parameter -f is important too.

Hallo i have installed with a first boot fine Snow Leopard Hazard 10.6.0 without update to 10.6.1 or 10.6.2. If i install 10.6.1 or 10.6.2 i get no first boot fine. I had try the retail version but it doesn't install. So i want to stay with the Snow Leopard Hazard that i have installed only with graphic enabler.

I now can boot with the -f x32 parameters.

I see that i have no audio, no ethernet and no wi-fi working.

How can i made for adjust the parameters so i can boot with audio and ethernet and maybe wi-fi functionally ??

I have posted up the pictures of the audio chip and wi-fi card and ethernet card.

Can anyone explain me if this cards will work in snow leopard ?

Another question. I now want to install windows 7 in another partition using boot camp so after i can made a dual boot system and i will modify the file using the windows OS with Mac Drive installed. But i see that in this distro there isn't the Boot Camp Assistant. Can i download and install the Boot Camp Assistant ??

Please help me for this final steps.

Regards

• 3 months later...

10.6.3 Retail MBR under 64bit works fine.

Audio(ALC888 address0) , Video(ION 9400) , network(nVidia nForce) works fine.

Wireless NOT work (Atheros AR9285)

All needed file at :

http://www.brsbox.com/filebox/down/fc/1d6c...2d066ccf2319ad3

Include DSDT , Patched AppleHDA , Extra Folder

mach_kernel 10.3.0 (Mac OS X 10.6.3) Fixed 64-bit mod

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents worth, I also have a ZOTAC MAG, and I used NETBOOKBOOTMAKER to update the boot USB drive, which is running retail version of Snow Leopard 10.6.2. Install and first book works like a dream with most things working. I then run the netbookinstaller and install onto the boot drive, there were some issues with RAMDISK being too small as its hardcoded to 256, but I found work arounds.

Only problem is that when I boot of internal HDD, it boots as far as boot screen and stops? but when I boot from the USB it boots up fine. Not sure how that is possible as I have made sure that the DSDT is the same as the USB boot.

Things not working with this method: Sound, WIFI and bluetooth. Other then that it works great with OSX

Only problem is that when I boot of internal HDD, it boots as far as boot screen and stops? but when I boot from the USB it boots up fine. Not sure how that is possible as I have made sure that the DSDT is the same as the USB boot.

When you say it gets as far as the boot screen, are you talking about chameleon (assuming you are using netbookinstaller)? Or are you talking about the motherboard boot screen (i.e your system is looping)

If you meant Chameleon, what does it say when you try and boot in the console (I'm assuming you are booting with -v). If it goes by too fast, try using the pause/break button on your keyboard.

When you say it gets as far as the boot screen, are you talking about chameleon (assuming you are using netbookinstaller)? Or are you talking about the motherboard boot screen (i.e your system is looping)

If you meant Chameleon, what does it say when you try and boot in the console (I'm assuming you are booting with -v). If it goes by too fast, try using the pause/break button on your keyboard.

Sorry noticed my mistake when I read your response, what I meant to say wast that once I take the USB drive out and try and boot off the internal hard drive with -v, the boot runs though then gets to the post boot, "Blue" screen, not boot screen as I described. It then seems to hang forever with just the blue screen with the mouse cursor in the upper right screen, Strangly then I boot off the USB drive and at the boot screen select the internal boot drive with Chameleon then it boots straight into the desktop. I have copied of the boot file, re-installed the boot file, copied the boot file in extra and regenerated DSDT and still no luck... So I am just leaving the USB "boot" drive in while I use.

Also discovered that after update to 10.6.4 it does not boot at all, even with boot "USB".... After some manipulation I can get it to sort of boot into desktop wallpaper only (no icons) but then get beachball of death... I think its related to the 10.6.4 kernel (PS... Did check both HDMI and VGA, as I found somewhere on the net that 10.6.4 breaks HDMI)

Sadly am doing this whole thing to see if I can install iphone dev sdk working....:o

Thanks for the reply

Well I managed to get basically a Vanilla install on 10.6.3. I used the same method as you to make the USB drive, but after that a few things need to be done.

First of all, the bootloader you are using in the netbookinstaller package just flat out does not seem to work properly.

I just ended up using the utility and replacing the boot file on root(/). (effectively replacing it with newer version of Chameleon 2 RC4). Second, I don't think the DSDT output of the netbook installer works either, just use the one twilight posted in this thread, you will need the files anyways.

Boot with USB, put the DSDT.aml and smbios (from twilights package) in the /Extra folder and delete whatever other DSDT(or .aml file) netbookisntaller may have generated. As described above, get a copy of boot from a newer (non nbi) version of chameleon (I just used Chameleon 2.0 RC4 V3 installer, installed to an extra usb disk and copied over boot from root, only reason I did this is because I like the configuration that NBI made in /Extra)

At this point you can try and boot from HD. If it works, remove all the Kexts from /Extra/Extentions/GeneralExtensions except for OSXRestart.kext. Now go back to the package twilight made and copy the three extensions to /Extra/Extentions/GeneralExtensions. Now go to /Extra and run 'Update Extra' to fix permissions.

Now reboot and pretty much everything should work except for sound and wireless, and perhaps BT (not sure have not tested it).

I updated to 10.6.3 before continuing to try and install sound and Wireless(last version I know will work).

After updating I put the AppleHDA from twilights package and IO80211Family.kext found here: (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=223465&st=20# (post 24)) to get wireless working in /Extra/Extentions/GeneralExtensions. Once again run 'Update Extra' to fix permissions, reboot and wireless and sound should work.

EDIT: {censored}, forgot to say I updated using 10.6.3 combo, and before I restarted I replaced the kernel with an patched kernel (for atom support because I'm no longer using NBI's special patched bootloader).

You can get it here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...197020&st=0

Follow instructions on post 7. (you will have to rename mach_kernel_atom or whatever its called to mach_kernel and place it on the desktop if you want to follow the instructions)

Hope this helps. I'm not going to try 10.6.4 until I can make a backup so I have no idea if it works this way.

Thanks for the great and detailed reply..... I also used the other Chameleon bootloader but didnt do half the good stuff that you did... I will try this weekend and let you know how it goes, also thanks for the link to the kernel files, I found that link a couple of days ago and forgot which website I found it on, nothing quiet like typing random google search strings to try find something you lost.

I am going to try update for 10.6.4 as I have nothing to loose other then a little bit of time and a rebuild, I am sure that your setup should give the desired result. I will keep you posted as to the success or failure of the attempt.

I really like the little Zotac box, and the idea that it can turn into a little mac mini is great.

PS... last question, with the kernel update in place can you turn hyperthreading back on, or did you leave it off?

PSS.. Also the reason why the NETBOOKINSTALLER fails to create a DSDT file is becuase there is a spelling mistake in the generic code so it loops into a file not found error, I had to fix it in a HEX editor to change the file name its searching for.

Thanks again.

Last night I tried to update to 10.6.4 using combo update and new patched kernel and its a no go so far. It pretty much loads the OS, starts to load the GUI and the screen just starts blinking two different colours of blue (I never get the spinning wheel of death, nor does it ever give me the reboot screen, its really weird). Only good news is I don't get a KP and I can still boot into the os with -x (safe mode) flag. That leads me to believe its fixable.

PS... last question, with the kernel update in place can you turn hyperthreading back on, or did you leave it off?
Once I patched it, I could turn it back on. Shows up in Activity monitor as 4 cores and system seems pretty quick.
PSS.. Also the reason why the NETBOOKINSTALLER fails to create a DSDT file is becuase there is a spelling mistake in the generic code so it loops into a file not found error, I had to fix it in a HEX editor to change the file name its searching for.
Ya I realized this after, was too lazy to retry as the one posted in this thread seems to work great, and I'm not sure if any device specific patching was done.

I don't really need 10.6.4, i just needed the latest version of xcode and to be on 10.6.4 to try a little something :( As you said, will make a good little mac mini either way if we can get the kinks worked out.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got back to my OSX box, got 10.6.4 working with NBI bootloader although only in 32bit as thats all it supports (and I had to use an updated version, as the one you download from their site has a limit on how Kexts you can have in your extensions.mkext and it makes you KP.) I have not been able to get any non nbi version of Chameleon with patched atom kernel to work to enable 64 bit support.

Other than that I'm completely up to date and everything seems to work.(sleep even works perfectly all the time, which it did not pre 10.6.4)

I'm not too worried about 64 bit kernel anyways, as 64 bit mode for apps is still supported but it would be nice.

One note is that if you do try this, DO NOT install the GFX update for graphics cards available from apples updates after upgrade to 10.6.4, you will get spinning wheel of death.

p.s Looks like the 10.6.5 beta works too with NBI :)

• 1 month later...

howdy,

I just recently bought a zotac Mag for the express purpose of making a mini hackintosh.

I am currently at an impass.

I am running 10.6.4, with the "quad core"-ish HT enabled Atom aware kernel from the link found in this thread, and all that is running fine. I do not however have sound or wifi.

the thread here claims wifi should be supported out of the box with 10.6.3 & 10.6.4, but it isnt. I also have a DSDT.aml that i compiled from the output of a linux MINT pendrive booted on the exact same hardware with the exact same bios setup for the cpu settings so that the DSDT that was generated should have exactly what i need for the HDEF audio.

the linux DSDT has no HDEF section in it, and under linux, i only get sound out of the front headphone jack.

I now have tried using USB speakers from a mac cube i have sitting in the basement. when i plug them in, they appear in the system preferences "sound" panel, but don't do anything (ie speakers make no sound).

what am i missing?

it looks like the 888 hacks that have been linked to on this thread are all for 10.6.2 or 10.6.0, and all fail under 10.6.4, when i install the kexts, the system complains that they aren't correct.

I have no problems hacking DSDTs or KEXTs, i am a programmer by trade, its just most of the data thrown around this thread is for 10.6.0 or 10.6.2 and doesn't seem to work with 10.6.4 i prefer to stay on 10.6.4 if i can.

thanks for any help

Tim

answered my own question.

the real problem was that my kernel was booting in 64bit mode.

i found the following thread on ALC888 x86_64, and so far it works with headphones for output and internal microphone for input. I will be testing other outputs later.

post #1 has a zip file, and the appleHDA.kext was pasted into /S/L/E then a reboot

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=188349

thanks all

Hi there,

you guys put a lot of work into this, i fear i cannot follow most of this...

Could anyone of youguys who have a working 10.6.x on your zotac zbox upload a disk image to allow a noob "install" ?

That would be great...

Anyways if that is not possible i have to learn a lot ;-)

Greetings,

Ender