Taking apart a G5 Power Supply

justin holt

3 posts in this topic

The ultimate goal is to not kill myself. I have essentially completed my mod of a G5 case to hold an ATX motherboard, but having a big power supply not really anchored to the bottom of the case is a bit of an issue. I know people have taken apart G5 power supplies and rebuilt them with ATX style power supplies in them. What would any of you suggest doing to avoid shock? Is it just the capacitors I have to avoid or is there any other part of the actual power supply I need to avoid? If I could finish this I'd be really happy. Also willing to give you guys some pictures when all is said done too if you want.

Thanks again guys!

Justin

The ultimate goal is to not kill myself. I have essentially completed my mod of a G5 case to hold an ATX motherboard, but having a big power supply not really anchored to the bottom of the case is a bit of an issue. I know people have taken apart G5 power supplies and rebuilt them with ATX style power supplies in them. What would any of you suggest doing to avoid shock? Is it just the capacitors I have to avoid or is there any other part of the actual power supply I need to avoid? If I could finish this I'd be really happy. Also willing to give you guys some pictures when all is said done too if you want.

Thanks again guys!

Justin

Be extra-careful. I think the biggest electric shock I've ever had in my life was by accidentally touching the flash's capacitor from a 3v powered digital camera, so just imagine how dangerous can a computer power supply capacitor be.

Check this guide on how discharge capacitors http://www.howtodothings.com/electronics/h...rge-a-capacitor

I thought about doing this for my mod here

but realised that a standard ATX PSU fits perfectly in the 3.5" drive bay next to your optical drive.

If you relocate your hard drives towards the bottom of the case, the weight is replaced and the whole unit becomes balanced again. I sold my G5 PSU on ebay and got £80 as that part actually worked. Also the heat coming off your components is sucked out as it should be by the PSU - heat rises! most of these case mods seem to forget the basics of physics.

No fuss and no electric shocks.