HFS+ Partition Error on 10.4.6 x86 install

Arnel Abano

4 posts in this topic

Hope someone can help. I downloaded x86 10.4.6 torrent and burned it on a DVD. I installed it on an IBM T41 2373 laptop. The install (a little slow) went all the way through, but after it restarts, it goes to the gray apple logo with a circle with a dash through it (like the stop sign?). When I power the laptop off and start it up without the disc, it goes straight to the HFS+ Partition Error. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Is your OS X partition primary? It should be!

Is any logical partition in front of the OS X partition on the HDD? It shouldn't be!

Anyway, type "-v" on Darwin boot screen to see the error messages.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is the primary partition. Disk Utility formatted the whole drive for osx. The only other partition in there is IBM's factory (which I think is FAT). I don't that that is the issue, because I installed OSX 10.4.5 on another IBM and it gave me no problem. Thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...

If you're not trying to dual boot and you're getting the HFS+ partition error message, than I have an easy fix. Get to a terminal and type "sudo fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0" To get the the terminal you can either boot with an OSX86 install disc (like Jas or goatsecx) and wait for it to timeout (boot your install) or enter single user mode. Once you've executed the command it will ask you to confirm the operation. Answer yes and you should have no trouble next time you boot.