First build sanity check

34 posts in this topic

Okay - good news. My build is up and running. Tonymac's files and blog were immensely helpful. I did end up buying a Caviar Black 1TB drive the night I put everything together, with the plan to send the Green drive back to New Egg. Now I'm considering keeping the green as a Time Machine / iTunes / Photos drive.

I have yet to go through the tutorial to enable sleep or any of the other "bells and whistles," but the box boots into 10.6.2 and appears to be stable.

Okay - good news. My build is up and running. Tonymac's files and blog were immensely helpful. I did end up buying a Caviar Black 1TB drive the night I put everything together, with the plan to send the Green drive back to New Egg. Now I'm considering keeping the green as a Time Machine / iTunes / Photos drive.

I have yet to go through the tutorial to enable sleep or any of the other "bells and whistles," but the box boots into 10.6.2 and appears to be stable.

Since you've have the P55M-UD2, I have a question for you. When you booted with the Qoopz kernel under 10.6.0, did you're boot process stop at a "USBSMC" error or something related to usb? I had that problem happen to me and a solution I found is to just unplug everything from the USB ports and rearrange them.

That error never happened. I even had to reboot a couple of extra times before updating to 10.6.2, and I never saw a USB error.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Linksys WUSB54G usb WIFI adapter to work. It's either that, or running a cat5 cable through the office wall, which I don't feel like doing.

That error never happened. I even had to reboot a couple of extra times before updating to 10.6.2, and I never saw a USB error.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to get a Linksys WUSB54G usb WIFI adapter to work. It's either that, or running a cat5 cable through the office wall, which I don't feel like doing.

Idk it might just be my hardware then.

Find out what chipset it has and then google it! :)

Idk it might just be my hardware then.

Find out what chipset it has and then google it! :lol:

If you haven't figured out the USB-errors yet, I remember reading somewhere in Tony's Blog about the absolute necessity to update the bios to avoid USB errors (if I remember correctly the original problem-ridden bios was F3)

I am also about to purchase the gigabyte 55m-UD2 board and go SLeo after much love and trust with my old p35 Leo system.

Quick check: are owners of the UD2 as happy with stability as all reports I've read thus far? LAN and Sound working 100%?

One other query: install chameleon on hidden-efi partition or SL partition, are there really any advantages of one over the other? The one time I did install with hidden-efi (10.5) I ran into some cumbersome problems for tweaking. Getting access to chameleon/extra on the hidden efi-partition was a drag...

hiside, ninetto

If you haven't figured out the USB-errors yet, I remember reading somewhere in Tony's Blog about the absolute necessity to update the bios to avoid USB errors (if I remember correctly the original problem-ridden bios was F3)

I upgraded my bios to F5 before I tried to install SL.

Quick check: are owners of the UD2 as happy with stability as all reports I've read thus far? LAN and Sound working 100%?

I did not test LAN as a have a wireless network, but sound works.

One other query: install chameleon on hidden-efi partition or SL partition, are there really any advantages of one over the other? The one time I did install with hidden-efi (10.5) I ran into some cumbersome problems for tweaking. Getting access to chameleon/extra on the hidden efi-partition was a drag...

The only real advantage to installing to the EFI partition is to keep your SL install as "vanilla" as possible.

I upgraded my bios to F5 before I tried to install SL.

Since you've have the P55M-UD2, I have a question for you. When you booted with the Qoopz kernel under 10.6.0, did you're boot process stop at a "USBSMC" error or something related to usb? I had that problem happen to me and a solution I found is to just unplug everything from the USB ports and rearrange them.

So are the USBSMC errors still showing up? What did you "rearrange" with the USB devices?

And one last query: are you still using the Qoopz kernel? I thought this kernel was just for the experimental installs when the P55-boards first came out... or no?

thanks, ninetto

So are the USBSMC errors still showing up? What did you "rearrange" with the USB devices?

And one last query: are you still using the Qoopz kernel? I thought this kernel was just for the experimental installs when the P55-boards first came out... or no?

thanks, ninetto

After installing the 10.6.2 update, the usb errors go away. I believe I was getting the errors because of the modded kernel. Under 10.6.2, the vanilla kernel has support for the P55 chipset.

So therefore, I'm not using the Qoopz Kernel still. It's used to first install SL because 10.6.0 doesn't have support for the P55 chipset or the Core i5.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm curious. I see a lot of people using the GA-P55M-UD2 and the board I'm planning on using the GA-EX58-UD5... I know the p55 uses the LGA-1156 and the EX58 uses LGA-1366, right? Now, it seems that the 1156 has a 2.8ghz chip for about the same price as the very common 2.66 i7 920..

My question is which board is best for in general compatability. I'd really like a system that is stable, and easily upgradable (as in, when updates come out) -- honestly, I wan't to build a system that I don't even realize is a hackintosh unless I look at it, or need to reinstall..

Any tips?