GMA950 Mobile Snow Leopard?

abogar

21 posts in this topic

I have installed vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 on a HP/Compaq nx7400. GMA 950PCI id is is 27a2.

I used the following to install the GMA950: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...99572&st=20

I can see Intel 915 in the ioreg.

Booting with -v arch=i386 cpus=1, I get gray screen on internal, but after plugging an external monitor, the system is working perfectly on the external display.

The only problem is that I can't get the laptop's own LCD to work. I tried installing GMA950 natits found throughout this forum, but no change. The only progress, when pressing Fn+F4 (VGA/internal switch) I get a cloudy display on the notebook.

I tried GMA950 specific natit, but no progress.

Has anyone got GMA950 mobile working on his laptop?

• 4 weeks later...
I have installed vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6 on a HP/Compaq nx7400. GMA 950PCI id is is 27a2.

I used the following to install the GMA950: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...99572&st=20

I can see Intel 915 in the ioreg.

Booting with -v arch=i386 cpus=1, I get gray screen on internal, but after plugging an external monitor, the system is working perfectly on the external display.

The only problem is that I can't get the laptop's own LCD to work. I tried installing GMA950 natits found throughout this forum, but no change. The only progress, when pressing Fn+F4 (VGA/internal switch) I get a cloudy display on the notebook.

I tried GMA950 specific natit, but no progress.

Has anyone got GMA950 mobile working on his laptop?

Got HP Laptop DV63 with that same GMA950 27a2 ; working , but only 1024

• 2 weeks later...

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>6d0000000100000001000000610000000200000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000027

fff0400100000006d006f00640065006c0000000b000000474d412039353020000000410041005000

4c002c00480061007300500061006e0065006c0000000800000001000000</string>

hey many thanks for those kexts, i replaced my stock kexts using macdrive and now my internal lcd works!! stuck in 800x600 though but i think i can manage to sort this out ;)

If you replaced them in Windows, then you should set chmod and chown for them in OSX, they need right Permissions to get loaded at boot.

If you replaced them in Windows, then you should set chmod and chown for them in OSX, they need right Permissions to get loaded at boot.

yeah.. actually i could see something because of the gma950 kext not loading.. then i set right permissions for these kext but they refuse to load :)

the only kext that load so far for me are the attached in this guide by following the installation instructions, i could change resolution but not qe ci..

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173184

27A2 Snow leopard 10.6.2 32bits , no 64 bits

these kexts did work, by installing them using kext utility i get full qe and ci support and res change, the only issue was setting the resolution to 1024x600 cause it wasnt available, i fixed it with SwitchResX though.

Thanks again :happymac:

btw i am using a netbook olidata, gma945 27ae..

• 3 weeks later...
27A2 Snow leopard 10.6.2 32bits , no 64 bits

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! Thank you so much!

I did not even know I had a graphics issue until I discovered that Preview would not load any images and the console showed it was complaining about incorrect pixels. I tried several of the Kext floating around but this one did the trick! (I did not use the dmos)

For the record, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 retail on a Sony Vaio vgn-n220e which has the GMA945 Mobile Express chipset.

If anyone else is trying to do the same, the ingredients are this:

1-myHack using Retail SL disk.

2-add Graphics Mode with 1280x800x32 in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the \Extra Folder. (no efi string)

3-replace the OEM Graphics kext with the ones from above

4-Add the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (to get High Def Audio working)

5 - Add the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (to fix the About This Mac Crash)

6 - Replace the IOATAFamily.kext with a patched one (replace both the \Extra and the \S\L\E ones or you will get kernal panics)

7 - Manually edit the IONetworkingFamily.kext to get the Yukon LAN working (wireless works out of the box)

... I won't even admit how much time I spent trying all the different things..but in the end, it basically boils down to using myHack to install a retail Snow and adding\replacing 9 kext... not bad!!!!

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! Thank you so much!

I did not even know I had a graphics issue until I discovered that Preview would not load any images and the console showed it was complaining about incorrect pixels. I tried several of the Kext floating around but this one did the trick! (I did not use the dmos)

For the record, I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.6 retail on a Sony Vaio vgn-n220e which has the GMA945 Mobile Express chipset.

If anyone else is trying to do the same, the ingredients are this:

1-myHack using Retail SL disk.

2-add Graphics Mode with 1280x800x32 in the com.apple.Boot.plist in the \Extra Folder. (no efi string)

3-replace the OEM Graphics kext with the ones from above

4-Add the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext (to get High Def Audio working)

5 - Add the AppleSMBIOSEFI.kext (to fix the About This Mac Crash)

6 - Replace the IOATAFamily.kext with a patched one (replace both the \Extra and the \S\L\E ones or you will get kernal panics)

7 - Manually edit the IONetworkingFamily.kext to get the Yukon LAN working (wireless works out of the box)

... I won't even admit how much time I spent trying all the different things..but in the end, it basically boils down to using myHack to install a retail Snow and adding\replacing 9 kext... not bad!!!!

Nice. Good job da_jokker. This worked with my 27a2 D430 laptop.

Followed exactly this post except I didn't do steps 4,5,7. Replace the oem graphics kext in S/L/E (system/library/extensions) and also the patched IOATAfamily.kext (check jokkerz post history and he uploaded them there). If you had any graphics kexts in the /extra folder delete them as well and then as mentioned above replace the ioatafamily.kext there as well and then run pfix (it'll rebuild mkext for both s/l/e and /extra and repair permissions.

Thanks to the guys in this thread. System Info says GMA950 and everything works.

• 2 weeks later...

Im trying to install SnowLeopard from USB pen on dell Vostro 1500. Ive got GMA960. And i got screen only on external display. (but i dont have one)

is there any way to modify my usb installation disk to work with first notebook LCD? You guys are writing something about kext changing but this is possible only in running environment?

----------

Edit:

I connected external display, and its seems that on second display i get extended desktop (i need move mouse pointer max to the right to move on external display). That means that all notifications and buttons are on internal LCD but its stay black. Any ideas?

---------------

Edit:

i succesfully installed graphic. Patched DSDT and removed all CRT/TV/DVI entries.

Now i got Intel GMA 965 (X3100) working in 10.6.2 with full graphic support.

• 2 weeks later...

Solved!

Check which ACPI device corresponds to the LCD screen.

Detach external screen, Boot linux.

$ find /proc/acpi/video -type d
 /proc/acpi/video
 /proc/acpi/video/C085
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C148
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C147
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C144
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C143

$ grep state /proc/acpi/video/C085/*/state
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C143/state:state:	 0x00
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C144/state:state:	 0x1f
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C147/state:state:	 0x01
 /proc/acpi/video/C085/C148/state:state:	 0x01

ACPI Howto

You can see, in this case C144 is the LCD screen. Change C144 to LCD in the DSDT. Change C085 to VID, and C002 to PCI0. Note, your case might be different.

You will also the DTGP method, and to add this snippet to the VID device:

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
					 {
						 Store (Package (0x08)
							 {
								 "device_type", 
								 Buffer (0x08)
								 {
									 "display"
								 }, 

"model", 
								 Buffer (0x07)
								 {
									 "GMA950"
								 }, 

"AAPL,HasPanel", 
								 Buffer (0x04)
								 {
									 0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
								 }, 

"built-in", 
								 Buffer (One)
								 {
									 0x01
								 }
							 }, Local0)
						 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
						 Return (Local0)
					 }

The DTGP method:

Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)
	 {
		 If (LEqual (Arg0, Buffer (0x10)
				 {
					 /* 0000 */	0xC6, 0xB7, 0xB5, 0xA0, 0x18, 0x13, 0x1C, 0x44,
					 /* 0008 */	0xB0, 0xC9, 0xFE, 0x69, 0x5E, 0xAF, 0x94, 0x9B
				 }))
		 {
			 If (LEqual (Arg1, One))
			 {
				 If (LEqual (Arg2, Zero))
				 {
					 Store (Buffer (One)
						 {
							 0x03
						 }, Arg4)
					 Return (One)
				 }

If (LEqual (Arg2, One))
				 {
					 Return (One)
				 }
			 }
		 }

Store (Buffer (One)
			 {
				 0x00
			 }, Arg4)
		 Return (Zero)
	 }

Good luck with your dsdt patching!

Gentlemen, good afternoon.

I also have a card intel gma 950, like this: Now I'm installing 10.6.2 snow ... by Hazard

Monitor:

Type: GPU

Bus: Integrated

VRAM (Total): 64 MB Shared Memory System

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Ext Kernel Loaded

Monitors:

Monitor:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32 bit color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

And I can not run at all. I tried several kext and nothing ... can anyone help me please?? My English is translated by google .... ok

My laptop is a Toshiba A135-s4467

• 7 months later...
Gentlemen, good afternoon.

I also have a card intel gma 950, like this: Now I'm installing 10.6.2 snow ... by Hazard

Monitor:

Type: GPU

Bus: Integrated

VRAM (Total): 64 MB Shared Memory System

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Ext Kernel Loaded

Monitors:

Monitor:

Resolution: 1280 x 800

Pixel Depth: 32 bit color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

And I can not run at all. I tried several kext and nothing ... can anyone help me please?? My English is translated by google .... ok

My laptop is a Toshiba A135-s4467

Try this and read very carefully:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=210660

After a lot of fiddling i got it to work with the 10.6.4 version for graphics update 1.0 , after i fully updated my m912x with snow leopard.

I used kext utility to install the kexts, used the bootfile and modded my dsdt, but i can imagine not all that is needed per se, because on a default 10.6.3 iAtkos s2 i had qe/ci by default.

i hope that helps.

I still have no sleep and proper battery detection ;)

• 10 months later...
Im trying to install SnowLeopard from USB pen on dell Vostro 1500. Ive got GMA960. And i got screen only on external display. (but i dont have one)

is there any way to modify my usb installation disk to work with first notebook LCD? You guys are writing something about kext changing but this is possible only in running environment?

----------

Edit:

I connected external display, and its seems that on second display i get extended desktop (i need move mouse pointer max to the right to move on external display). That means that all notifications and buttons are on internal LCD but its stay black. Any ideas?

---------------

Edit:

i succesfully installed graphic. Patched DSDT and removed all CRT/TV/DVI entries.

Now i got Intel GMA 965 (X3100) working in 10.6.2 with full graphic support.

So what happened with the external display? Is that fully functioning?