Installing MAC OS X Snow Leopard on XFX Geforce 9300 mobo

AnaktuvGod

16 posts in this topic

I was successful in getting Snow Leopard Retail installed on the XFX Geforce 9300 Motherboard. All I did was disable usb legacy support and changed my drives to AHCI. I downloaded some SL Boot CD from somewhere that works like boot 123 and booted from that. Then i used the retail copy of Snow Leopard to install. Finally after setting it up after install, I downloaded and used some HDAEnabler 64-bit and installed it with kext helper. wallah! everything working. Just having trouble booting from off the hard drive.

I looked through forums and tried different ways but just keep ending up with kernel panics. so now I'm on a stable 10.6.2 booting from the boot cd with video, lan and sound working. Can anyone help me with this very small matter? Once i get that help I can post a step by step tutorial to how to install Snow Leopard Retail on the XFX 9300 with onboard video. Very cheap purchase but powerful.

Thanx in advance to whomever

• 2 weeks later...
I was successful in getting Snow Leopard Retail installed on the XFX Geforce 9300 Motherboard. All I did was disable usb legacy support and changed my drives to AHCI. I downloaded some SL Boot CD from somewhere that works like boot 123 and booted from that. Then i used the retail copy of Snow Leopard to install. Finally after setting it up after install, I downloaded and used some HDAEnabler 64-bit and installed it with kext helper. wallah! everything working. Just having trouble booting from off the hard drive.

I looked through forums and tried different ways but just keep ending up with kernel panics. so now I'm on a stable 10.6.2 booting from the boot cd with video, lan and sound working. Can anyone help me with this very small matter? Once i get that help I can post a step by step tutorial to how to install Snow Leopard Retail on the XFX 9300 with onboard video. Very cheap purchase but powerful.

Thanx in advance to whomever

What did you use to enable the onboard video to work properly?

• 2 weeks later...

i did nothing for onboard video. geforce 9300/9400 video chipset is detected natively out the box (mac minis and macbooks video chipset) so was lan.

Im really happy with this board. it was almost 100% ootb. only sound that you can fix with some sort of 64 hdaenabler or perhaps voodoo64. not really sure which bootup disc i used but i know chameleon is on there. didnt use dsdt. dont know how. i still need to be able to boot from off the hard drive instead of the boot cd all the time. but {censored} i dont mind. cheapest install as of yet to me thas fully compatible. you can save money from purchasing a video card and everything else.

+ 1 waiting for this.

More info about the error booting from HD? Did you use DSDT?

Hey guys, just reinstalled snow leopard again but now i cant get the sound to work. The sound card is ALC888S. Something out there works I know as I had the damn thing working. 10.6 & 10.2. I just dont know what happened after i reinstalled. I've tried all kinds of hdaenablers, voodoohda, alc888 kexts of all sorts, modded applehda, i just cant seem to find it anymore. it seems the only thing i may b able to get is hdmi audio. Thats fine and dandy but this pc is for a monitor in my room not the big screen in the living room. nor do i have an hdtv monitor. Sound is the only thing missing from this Snow Leopard install. Once its figured out I can write a step by step tutorial on how to get this XFX board unlocked to its fullest potential. Out the box fully supported video and lan? Thats great for hackintosh in my opinion. Sound works great in Leopard 10.5 with helping kexts but this 10.6 {censored} is picky. I wish i knew how to do that linux codec dump thing to get my sound cards actual info to get worked with. I dont see why alc888 texts i used haven't work. according to Realtek ALC888S is nothing but a better ALC888 with 7.1 or 7.2 sound or something like that.

If anyone can help and give a hand in getting ALC888S working it would be great. Thinking bout even starting a new thread.

I have this board and could be pursuaded to try this. In another thread you wrote that you could only get one cpu core working with Leaopard. Is it possible to run more than one core with snow leopard and the xfx9300? This is a possible showstopper for me.

If you could post your tutorial on how you did the setup so far, then i would be willing to give it a go. Maybe we could get it up and running if we put our heads together.

/Mikkel

• 2 weeks later...

hey sorry guys been away with the chicky chic. im about to snow leopard it up again from a fresh erase and try out those audio kext and get back to you -x-.

@ Mikkel, thats becuase i was using a p4 ht processor. I have and E8400 i use all the time (Core 2 3.0Ghz). i just swapped with p4 to see if it would still work. that was with the ideneb install. snow things are different. not sure if P4 would work with retail snow. maybe with modified distro tho.

NEways, get back to you guys in about 1 - 4 hours from this post. gotta rebuild this rig up back fast.

Peace

Ok -x- tried your 2 kext and not working for me. it does give me digital (hdmi) sound that ive been able to get but not regular green whole of six port audio in back. I tried with kext utility and kext helper thinking there would be a difference. applehda already had hdaenabler in it so i just loaded that at times too. still same story. But messing around again with this thing led me to get one of my issues i originally had SOLVED!

Chameleon RC4 help me BOOT OFF THE HARD DRIVE!!!. NO MORE BOOT DISC IN THE DRIVE :)

I had to do some file copying and moving after the chameleon install as i seen my display resolution was changed and graphic/display tab in mac more info wasnt right. i simply copied those kext(s) in the extra folder located on the boot cd i was using in the first place to the extra folder now on my partition after the chameleon install. rebooted and video was back. very happy with that. no more disc. now i just gotta get this alc888s sound detected by the os. seems it only wants to find hdmi or digital sound only.

Much thanks to you for your other thread about getting Leopard running on this board, got it up and running no issues... everything works great (exception being that its only using one core on my core2 duo). It would be great if you could post a guide of how you got it all working with Snow Leopard, even if you were to post basics it would be a great help to lots of us out there with this board that want to get SL up and running.

Cheers, and thanks again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi AnaktuvGod

I have tried to install Snow Leopard on the xfx9300. I use chameleon and i can get it to boot, but it panics short after booting the install drive. Do you have a list of kexts and the com.apple.Boot.plist that you used to install? Or even better, a link to the boot disk you used?

My current list of kext is: (all standard charmeleon stuff)

Disabler.kext

AHCIPortInjector.kext

ATAPortInjector.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

JMicronATAInjector.kext

my current com.apple.boot.plist:

timeout=5

Thanks in advance

I now have a fully (edit: no hw accel on graphics) working snow leopard (except sound) on xfx9300. The installation is Vanilla and there is no prior osx installation present

Tools of the trade:

Chameleon 2.0 RC4

1 external usb harddrive enclosure or thumbdrive

Retail Snow Leopard (10a432)

one leopard macbook pro

The following kexts: (these are not from chameleon, but from other boot cd's)

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

Bios Settings:

Use ACHI

I did not need to disable USB Legacy Support as rapported above

Process:

1) Prepare your install drive (external enclosure with removable sata harddrive or thumbdrive) - se STEP 1: PREPARING THE USB DRIVE here: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/os-...ing-retail.html.

2) Install chameleon on install drive, see here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=164809

remember to use the fdisk that comes with chameleon.

2.1) Instead of copying the chameleon kext to /Extra/Extensions on the install drive, use the kexts from the list above

3) boot xfx9300 pc from thumbdrive or external enclosure hardrive. I have two hdd in my xfx9300 pc so i just put the harddrive back in the pc and made the pc boot from that drive.

4) Choose installdrive from chameleon boot menu.

5) install osx. I used the Disk Utility from the install drive to prepare my secondary hdd in the xfx9300 pc and installed chameleon to the secondary drive from the terminal. (before starting the actual installation)

6) When installations is done it will restart, choose your snow leopard installation from chameleon boot menu

7) You should now have a running Snow leopard without sound and no graphics - everything running in 1024x768. USB works, ethernet works. Sleep might be unstable.

8) download OSX86Tools from here: http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/ install and run

9) click 'Add EFI Strings/Boot Flags', click 'GFX Strings', Choose 'Custom GeForce' from dropdown (edit: This gives you resolution but no hardware accelaration - investigating...)

9.1) Enter the name of the card, should be 'GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i'. Found here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f7/list-of-nvid...-leopard-t4385/

9.2) Choose 256 or 512 depending on what you have set in bios - default 256

9.3) Choose VGA/DVI-I (Edit: your main display should be first in the list)

9.4) click 'Import String to boot editor'

9.5) Click 'Apply changes to com.apple.Boot.plist'. This is the boot file of your installed system, you dont need any other custom bootlist.

9.6) reboot.

You should now have a fully functional Snow Leopard, except sound. I will try to get sound working, but let me now if anyone can make it work. I have external active speakers so i am not i a hurry to make it work :-)

This is a quick write-up, reply here if anything does not work for you - i may have forgotten something.

Mikkel