Hd4850 and 10.6.2

NoNo

23 posts in this topic

Hi,

I updated my osx installation to 10.6.2 and i can't get qe/ci working with an Hd4850.

Someone have managed to make it work ?

I have tried everything, GraphicsEnabler=y method, evoenabler etc

When i install the netkas qe/ci patch for 10.6.2 it results in a tearing screen.

Thanks in advance.

post-26074-1257945663_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I updated my osx installation to 10.6.2 and i can't get qe/ci working with an Hd4850.

Someone have managed to make it work ?

I have tried everything, GraphicsEnabler=y method, evoenabler etc

When i install the netkas qe/ci patch for 10.6.2 it results in a tearing screen.

Thanks in advance.

me too having same results!!!

EAHASUS ATI RADEON 4890!!!

same here, after 10.6.2 at and dev-id in ati4800.kext only safe mode, then tried pciefi10.5, then tried legacyati4800.kext from netkas, then rebuild kextcaches - finally get stretched resolution and no qe/ci - only 1400x900 res...

what's the way to get it to work?

maybe we need new evoenabler.kext?

I found the solution in the comments on netkas blog.

It seems that the problem come from ATI4500Controller.kext and ATI4600Controller.kext.

Just remove them or move them.

It worked fine for me, now I have Qe/Ci working and resolution.

I use evoenabler and I have added my device-id in ATI4800Controller.kext I also use te netkas Qe/Ci patch.

same here with4890, on 10.6.1 i have pc_efi10.5 ati4800,x2000, and evoenabler to get my card fully working...on 10.6.2 i get only tearing screen.

anyone solved the problem?

also what installation method i should use for the 4890...i tried also qe/ci patch...didnt work either

don't forget the leagcy kext to inject the devid :) with my asus eah4850 it works after the reboot (evoenabler in /S/L/E and legacy in /E/E), don't forget to clean cache too.

i just have a fan problem but i've got it since 10.6.0 :thumbsup_anim: my fan don't work and i hear a little noise when the fan try to start and don't succeed) if someone has an idea... (the fan works under leopard and windows of course, i tried different bios settings for the 4850 card but without success)

@nono, thanx again, your method works fine. although i had to completely reinstall because it seems i broke something while trying to fix things before.

i did a clean install, updated to 10.6.2 rebooted into safe mode and put devid in ATI4800.kext only.

then installed evoenabler to S/L/E

and removed ATI4600.kext and ATI4500.kext from S/L/E

reboot

and BAM! works. vanilla chameleon rc3, no need for boot-file from pc_efi and no other patching.

@madsensei

as far as i know, u can use legacyATI4800.kext OR manually put your dev id into S/L/E/ATI4800.kext

additionally: either use EVOenabler.kext to inject OR device-properties in com.apple.plist in /Extra OR boot-file from pc_efi with graphicsenabler=yes

was really confusing at first because there exist several methods for the same thing...

i chose the manual dev-id + evoenabler kombo and it works great.

so...

without evoenabler and with GE=yes, i've got a kernel panic (radeonx2000 kext), so i removed this kext (yes it's a bit violent...) and no kernel panic at all ;) the system seems to load correctly (i hear skype connecting) but i've got no picture ! i don't have a black screen, if i boot in verbose mode i always see the last console output and hear the skype's sound, if not in verbose the screen still displaying the grey apple loading screen (and i hear skype sound)...

i will try dsdt method soon but if someone has an idea ^^ it will be great !

I've been wrestling with this problem since the 6.1->6.2 jump as well. Apparently the devid in 4800.kext + evoenabler doesnt just "work" with 6.2. I've tried adding the legacy4800 to my extra folder, with and without evoenabler as well as netkas qe/qi patch. All i get is the tearing if i boot normal (non safe-mode)

frustrating!

I found a siggestion that helped me a little bit.

Every possible solution, extra dev-id, evoenabler, different bootloaders, caused the same problem:

My samsung monitor displays, please change you resolution to 1920x1080 60 hz. My sapphire(hdmi,vga, dvi) is connected with the dvi cable to dvi input of my samsung screen.

Anyway, i know that verything works now, because I used remote managment (sort of remote desktop) to connect to my new osx. I was able to log in etc, so i opend my display settings.

It was set to 1920x1080 60 hz (ntsc)

I've tried every resolution in the list, none caused a display on my screen.

if i boot with -x however, i do see a stretched 1024 x768 screen, probably the vesa drivers that are loaded.

My config right now is, 10.5 efi boot file, chameleon r2c3, osx 10.6, legacy4800contoller, added dev-id to at4800controller.kext and evoenabler(Graphicsenabler =yes) . I'm a bit scraed to update, as i finally can boot without -x.

Wat can i do, so that osx wil send out a correct signal to my monitor? why isnt my monitor accepting the resolution from osx?

Anyway, i know that verything works now, because I used remote managment (sort of remote desktop) to connect to my new osx. I was able to log in etc, so i opend my display settings.

That happened to me back in Leo 10.5.2 with my AGP X1950Pro. Physical screen was not working but remote management (VNC) worked flawlessy.

Turned out I updated my GeCube VGA BIOS to a Powercolor BIOS and card worked since then. Something in VGA BIOS messed up with screen output.

Not sure this is the case with you, but you may try if you're brave enough to flash your card.

Yaa.. Been trying everything!!! I still cant work out why it works for some peoples and not others even though we seem to have the same cards! Reverted back to 10.6.1 until a more 'assuring' solution comes.

EvoEnabler + Modded ati4800 kext = Garbled Screen

PC EFI 10.5 + Modded ati4800 kext = Panic

PC EFI 10.5 + Modded ati4800 kext + EvoEnabler = Garbled Screen

10.5.7 Drivers + EvoEnabler = (only x86 mode) No garbled screen but everything corrupted (taskbar greyed out and background greyed out)

Legacy kext instead of modded kexts same results as expected, since its just adding lines to the ati4800 kext.

SO, Patience is a virtue, maybe a new x2000 kext? ( Did try older x2000 kext (10.6.1/0) got garbled screen)

P.S. Legacy kext + PC EFI 10.5 is now the easiest solution for me on 10.6.1

Hiya.

I've had all the horror you described here, but now I'm typing from my hac.

First I've installed a custom 10.6.0 dvd, then upgraded to vanilla 10.6.2 and my old radeon x1950pro was working like a charm via Natit.kext.

Then I upgraded to His X4870 and the fun began... I tried to remove crashing AtiRadeonX2000.kext, to install latest ATIEnabler... nothing.

Having hit my wall for seventh time, I decided to re-read Netkas once more. And downloaded PC-EFI 5. Now it's working with vanilla AtiRadeonX2000.kext (with "GraphicsEnabler=y"), sees both displays (Apple HD and Philips FPTV) and assigns correct resolutions for both.

The only prob left is to make QE/CI work properly. Any ideas?

@nono, thanx again, your method works fine. although i had to completely reinstall because it seems i broke something while trying to fix things before.

i did a clean install, updated to 10.6.2 rebooted into safe mode and put devid in ATI4800.kext only.

then installed evoenabler to S/L/E

and removed ATI4600.kext and ATI4500.kext from S/L/E

reboot

and BAM! works. vanilla chameleon rc3, no need for boot-file from pc_efi and no other patching.

@madsensei

as far as i know, u can use legacyATI4800.kext OR manually put your dev id into S/L/E/ATI4800.kext

additionally: either use EVOenabler.kext to inject OR device-properties in com.apple.plist in /Extra OR boot-file from pc_efi with graphicsenabler=yes

was really confusing at first because there exist several methods for the same thing...

i chose the manual dev-id + evoenabler kombo and it works great.

Hey punc,

For your clean install, before updating to 10.6.2, what ATI related kexts did you place in /E/E and /S/L/E? I'm still struggling to get an initial Snow Leopard install completed with the retail DVD, existing Leopard install, and the 4850.

Hi,

sorry for my english I'm italian and also because of this I can't understand if someone of you has managed to make his asus eah 4850 work under snow leopard.

Obviously I've ridden all the posts and if I'm not wrong, someone of you has actually done it but I can't understand how.

I'm currently running my asus eah4850 512mb fine under leopard 10.5 but if I want to upgrade it to snow leopard what will I have to do to make it work?

Thanks for your replies

Claudios,

Make your 4850 to work in Snow Leopard 10.6.0 is relatively easy. You can look for the guides already posted here in Insanely but basicaly all you have to do is add your device ID in the ATI4800Controller.kext. As I said, look for the guides.

The problem some of us (including me) are having is with the 10.6.2 update as you can see in the posts above.

Hope this helps.

Claudios,

Make your 4850 to work in Snow Leopard 10.6.0 is relatively easy. You can look for the guides already posted here in Insanely but basicaly all you have to do is add your device ID in the ATI4800Controller.kext. As I said, look for the guides.

The problem some of us (including me) are having is with the 10.6.2 update as you can see in the posts above.

Hope this helps.

first of all thank you,

I'll try what you've told... I asked this question also because on the page of "osx86 Project" it says that the asus eah 4850 doesn't ("HD 4850 512MB Asus Does not work - garbled display ") ;):):D ....

anyway I'll try

So last night I tried to connect my card to *any* possible screen I could find. Plugged a 19" on VGA port, a 30" on DVI port and a 60" TV via HDMI, all at the same time and one at a time. Tried to connect HDMI via DVI2HDMI dongle, nope. Tried to connect VGA via DVI2VGA, nope. Guess where did I found any video output? On my remote VNC session ;)

Unfortunately, I am giving up. To those who have their cards working, I envy you :) Better luck to those who are still trying make his/her 4850 cards work in SL.