MOTU VS HD4890

animani

6 posts in this topic

I have spent many days trying to sort this out with no success. So here it goes.

My rig:

Gigabyte EX58 UD5

i7 920 Rev.D

Enermax Modu 82+ 525 W

3 SATA HDD

1 IDE HDD

OCZ Platinum 1333 3x2GB

Apple Keyboard, Razer Mouse

Sapphire HD 4890 Vapor-X

Motu 828 MKII USB 2.0

The problem is the following....

This rig is for making music on the OSX side so I use Logic Studio. I have tried 8 and 9 and non of them get to work fine.

The thing is that I get random clicks and artifacts like when system is stressed but it does since the first note using any synth specially when the sequencer is playing.

I have used the same sound card in my laptop which is a macbook and I also have a G5 and it has been working flawlessly for several years.

So I can confirm this is a compatibility issue between my graphic card, sound card and logic. Something to do with Logic tho cause the sound card works fine under Ableton Live. It does sound fine under Itunes and starts getting artifacts when I open and use logic not even playing but moving around the interface.

Should I this is due to incompatibility between Logic and HD 4890?

The card works great under windows. My sound card does not work properly under windows due to a well known incompatibility between them. But I know it does fine under OSX. Tested back again.

Should I buy a cheap graphic card and see if it does make any difference? Anyone suggesting anything t try out?

Thanks for reading to this caveman.

Best...

I

Motu 828 MKII USB 2.0

I now discovered that changing the buffer to 1024 does not do it at all but that is unacceptable. I can create but it is not normal. I normally have it on 256 or 128 on laptop or G5. You normally got to go really low to get artifacts.

I was thinking could be something related to Bios. Memory latency or something like that. I heard that tight times cause problems. These are ocz 1333 7-6-7 or something like that.

One more thing I found.

IT is not a Motu problem as I have used Virus Ti as a sound card and it does the same where artifacts disappear on 1024 latency.

I was thinking it could be a bad usb driver or something?

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x3a3a

PCI Revision ID: 0x0000

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfd

828USB:

Product ID: 0x0002

Vendor ID: 0x07fd

Version: 0.03

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: MOTU

Location ID: 0xfd500000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

Could I use another kext for the drivers? These come from iATKOS but I did not choose any....

Suggestions ?

One more thing I found.

IT is not a Motu problem as I have used Virus Ti as a sound card and it does the same where artifacts disappear on 1024 latency.

I was thinking it could be a bad usb driver or something?

USB High-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built In USB

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI

PCI Device ID: 0x3a3a

PCI Revision ID: 0x0000

PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086

Bus Number: 0xfd

828USB:

Product ID: 0x0002

Vendor ID: 0x07fd

Version: 0.03

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: MOTU

Location ID: 0xfd500000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 0

Could I use another kext for the drivers? These come from iATKOS but I did not choose any....

Suggestions ?

Could Bios setup have any impact on audio performance? (Latency)

What a monologue....