4870X2 Dual Monitor in Snow Leopard ?

sparkdude

4 posts in this topic

I have a P5Q (vanilla) with a Q9550 @ 3.7.

One 4870X2.

I have a retail Snow Leopard install - booting with PCEFI 10.5 (over a Chameleon R2 install).

I'm driving the 4870X2 using an ATY_Init.kext + netkas QE_CI_ATI_exotic_cards.pkg.

Works great @ 1920x1200 on a 24" display - fast, flawless, no issues with single-display.

I would like to be able to drive a 2nd display (right now, testing a 19" CRT @ 1280x1024, but ultimately, another 24" monitor like the 1st one).

My problem is that with this config, the 2nd display is up during boot - and as soon as I get to the desktop, it turns off with "no signal". Going to System Preferences and clicking "Detect Displays" doesn't yield anything.

Has anyone tried this ? Any success ? What drivers/setup are you using ?

Interesting thought. It crossed my mind at one point, but I didn't follow through.

A friend of mine has a 24" LCD, I'll have him bring it over and give it a go. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks!

-- Edit :

Works great. I can drive 2 x 24" at 1920x1200 each using the DVI's.

My only quirk right now is that it seems to be detecting a third, 640x480 (or 800x600) display out of nowhere. So my mouse pointer sometimes ends up on this third ghost-desktop by accident - and I move the mouse in the opposite direction to bring it back onto one of the 2 monitors.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a P5Q (vanilla) with a Q9550 @ 3.7.

One 4870X2.

I have a retail Snow Leopard install - booting with PCEFI 10.5 (over a Chameleon R2 install).

I'm driving the 4870X2 using an ATY_Init.kext + netkas QE_CI_ATI_exotic_cards.pkg.

Works great @ 1920x1200 on a 24" display - fast, flawless, no issues with single-display.

I would like to be able to drive a 2nd display (right now, testing a 19" CRT @ 1280x1024, but ultimately, another 24" monitor like the 1st one).

My problem is that with this config, the 2nd display is up during boot - and as soon as I get to the desktop, it turns off with "no signal". Going to System Preferences and clicking "Detect Displays" doesn't yield anything.

Has anyone tried this ? Any success ? What drivers/setup are you using ?

Hello can u just give links to the ATY_Init n QE_CI package u used .. I tried my best but without any luck. having 4870x2 10.6 SL . Either gives artifacts or gets stuck on the start of gui.