ATI X700 Kext for Leopard

alex-pex

14 posts in this topic

EDIT: In fact, only resolution change is working, I don't find out how to make QE/CI, OpenGL & co working...

EDIT 2: Links are dead. I uploaded a splitted version of the zip.

Rename "A6VA_x700.z01.zip" to "A6VA_x700.z01" and "A6VA_x700.z02.zip" to "A6VA_x700.z02"

Hi,

After a loooonnnng search, I found a way to make my asus a6va Ati X700 work on Leopard (well, some kind ...).

It's a mod of the Acer 5020 X700 Kext, because the DotClock included was incorrect for my monitor, and the one reported by Xorg.0.log wasn't working neither.

Here is the one : http://www.mediafire.com/file/yemdzmngjje/A6VA_x700.zip

And the Original : http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2mgi2qion0/...rev_0001.tar.gz

>> SEE EDIT 2, Links are dead ...

The problem was the dotclock : 68900 was still generating flickering, I had to use 68620 and ... tadam !!! (thanks to a russian post on a forum i don't find anymore ..)

All you need to have :

- Natit or AGPGart (or maybe ATY_init, didn't try) + one of the package

- Install all the files via Universal osx86 isntaller, maybe repair permission (it doesn't hurt)

- reboot, go to the monitor prefpane and enjoy !

If the dotclock is still incorrect, or your devid != 0x5653 , go to these threads :

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1132143

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1140702

What is working :

- Resolution change

Problems :

- No QE/CI

- No Hardware acceleration (OpenGL & co)

- Mouse Artifact, no Chess, Screensaver crashes, ...

If you succeed to make it work better, email me I'll edit this post, i'm giving up as I don't have my laptop anymore.

A6VA_x700.zip

A6VA_x700.z01.zip

A6VA_x700.z02.zip

Wow!

If this kext can seriously allow my Acer Travelmate 8104wlmi with X700 mobility 128Mb x5653 to FINALLY work with Leopard then I might go to all the effort involved in giving it a try? - again. My laptop is currently back to just one partition Win7, so I can't test.

Any mouse tearing or scroll corruption?

I gave up on OSx86 years ago since I really wanted Leopard, but my X700 was Tiger only - even with dotclock method I still had graphical glitches.

What distro should I try? iPC 10.5.6???... Is there any chance of this working with 10.6 Snow Leopard? if so what distro?

Also, since my CPU is a Pentium M760, it is SSE2 only, is Leopard / Snow Leopard OK with this?

Cheers.

NEWTRAX

Wow!

If this kext can seriously allow my Acer Travelmate 8104wlmi with X700 mobility 128Mb x5653 to FINALLY work with Leopard then I might go to all the effort involved in giving it a try? - again. My laptop is currently back to just one partition Win7, so I can't test.

Any mouse tearing or scroll corruption?

I gave up on OSx86 years ago since I really wanted Leopard, but my X700 was Tiger only - even with dotclock method I still had graphical glitches.

What distro should I try? iPC 10.5.6???... Is there any chance of this working with 10.6 Snow Leopard? if so what distro?

Also, since my CPU is a Pentium M760, it is SSE2 only, is Leopard / Snow Leopard OK with this?

Cheers.

NEWTRAX

There's a glitch if you move your mouse too fast, sometimes little scares appears somewhere, it's like a framebuffer corruption, minimizing et restoring the window make it disappear.

I was having problem with dotclock methods i have seen somewhere that substracting 280 to the dotclock was better, i did try and indeed it's better ^^ Try both kext as the original is for an Acer TravelMate.

A lot of forums say that X700 is Tiger only, in fact it's not. You can try iPC, I tried many distrib and it's the one that works on the widest range of hardware. When installing, choose the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel to make it work on your Pentium M (SSE2 only).

The laptop I used (Asus a6va) is very similar to yours (X700 mobility + pentiumM SSE2) so I wish you good luck ! And if at screen resolution change you have horizontal lines, it's just a matter of dotclock, keep trying you're close to success !

Thanks very much for your reply, and kext / distro kernel advice.

I probably won't have the time to try this for a few weeks, but I'll post back here if/when I do!

Are all the following enabled?

Resolution support (ie. 1680x1050x32@61) [Win7 says the panel is 61Hz ???]

CI & QE (Core Image & Quartz Extreme)

Do quicktime vids play OK?

Do Chess, Sceen Savers, and Dashboard all run smoothly?

I can live with minimal framebuffer tearing issues, but I need it to be fully usable for Pro Apps like Logic, Final Cut, PhotoShop etc.

Cheers.

resolution support : of course ! mine is 1280x800

Core Image : don't know what it is, I've enabled Quartz Extreme and it is reported as "enabled"

didn't try quicktime vids yet

i have a crash when i go on the screen saver panel, i didn't try chess and dashboard.

I will try Photoshop soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

After a loooonnnng search, I found a way to make my asus a6va Ati X700 work on Leopard (and maybe Tiger too, didn't try).

It's a mod of the Acer 5020 X700 Kext, because the DotClock included was incorrect for my monitor, and the one reported by Xorg.0.log wasn't working neither.

Here is the one : http://www.mediafire.com/file/yemdzmngjje/A6VA_x700.zip

And the Original : http://www.mediafire.com/file/e2mgi2qion0/...rev_0001.tar.gz

The problem was the dotclock : 68900 was still generating flickering, I had to use 68620 and ... tadam !!! (thanks to a russian post on a forum i don't find anymore ..)

All you need to have :

- Natit or AGPGart (or maybe ATY_init, didn't try) + one of the package

- Install all the files via Universal osx86 isntaller, maybe repair permission (it doesn't hurt)

- reboot, go to the monitor prefpane and enjoy !

If the dotclock is still incorrect, or your devid != 0x5653 , go to these threads :

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1132143

- http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1140702

If you have questions, i'm here !

I've installed all the kext, and when I try to change resolution, I get a white screen fade, it just goes from current screen to fade. My resolution is 1440x900. Acer 9500 X700

I've installed all the kext, and when I try to change resolution, I get a white screen fade, it just goes from current screen to fade. My resolution is 1440x900. Acer 9500 X700

Strange ... dotclock problem didn't generate white screen on my portable, only horizontal lines.

I don't have time to test 3D thingy. But as it has poor performance when minimizing, i don't think it's working. Only resolution change works perfectly on my portable.

I read somewhere that .plugin files must be in Extensions dir, and without that OpenGL and QE CI wasn't working. And Kext Helper doesn't put them properly, i should look at it.

For your white screen problem, I don't know, it reminds me early trying with Tiger and old driver, solved on Leopard don't know why !

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry but hardware acceleration & co don't seem to work, even with the .plugin in Extensions folder...

I give up, as I'm not the author of the driver, just someone willing to share my (somewhat succesful) experience with X700 driver.

I'll give my laptop to my parent and I will install Ubuntu instead of Leopard, so don't expect me to test the driver any further, but I'll check if there is any progress and if there is I will edit the first post.

Good luck everyone !

• 2 weeks later...
There's a glitch if you move your mouse too fast, sometimes little scares appears somewhere, it's like a framebuffer corruption, minimizing et restoring the window make it disappear.

I was having problem with dotclock methods i have seen somewhere that substracting 280 to the dotclock was better, i did try and indeed it's better ^^ Try both kext as the original is for an Acer TravelMate.

A lot of forums say that X700 is Tiger only, in fact it's not. You can try iPC, I tried many distrib and it's the one that works on the widest range of hardware. When installing, choose the Voodoo 9.5.0 kernel to make it work on your Pentium M (SSE2 only).

The laptop I used (Asus a6va) is very similar to yours (X700 mobility + pentiumM SSE2) so I wish you good luck ! And if at screen resolution change you have horizontal lines, it's just a matter of dotclock, keep trying you're close to success !

Hi!

Sorry for the silly Question, but how did you manage to change the dotclock?

I'm using X700 5652 with Callisto 5 and 9700kext's

Please give me a hint I'm searching almost for hours to get rid of the weird flickering prob... :(

tia

Hi!

Sorry for the silly Question, but how did you manage to change the dotclock?

I'm using X700 5652 with Callisto 5 and 9700kext's

Please give me a hint I'm searching almost for hours to get rid of the weird flickering prob... :wacko:

tia

go to this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1132143

the value you have to change is at address 0x490E (edit via an Hex Editor)

• 7 months later...