New macs include 4850

gendem

3 posts in this topic

From Apple Insider:

The iMac features improved graphics across the line with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics or ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics in the 21.5-inch model, and ATI Radeon HD 4670 discrete graphics or ATI Radeon HD 4850 discrete graphics in the 27-inch model.

So does this mean that this chipset is now supported? I'm trying to get the most powerful (gaming-wise) video card for my new system, and despite reading this forum for hours, I can't determine what that is.

Anyone know?

From Apple Insider:

So does this mean that this chipset is now supported? I'm trying to get the most powerful (gaming-wise) video card for my new system, and despite reading this forum for hours, I can't determine what that is.

Anyone know?

You can get a lot of info from Apple without reading or searching here for hours. Go to the Apple site and look at the build to order video card options for the Mac Pro. For Ati it is the HD 4870 and not mentioned but separably introduced by EVGA the GTX 285. Of the two the GTX 285 chip is the most powerful but if we must believe the news, made end of life by nvidia because of the 5800 series by ATI.So pc GTX 285 cards can get scarce.

As far as I know the whole GTX 200 series pretty much works. I believe also the GTX 295 can be made to work in OS X but you should search on that in this forum.

With patch from the great netkas you can make the Ati HD 4890 also work. Overclocked it is challenges the GTX 985 in performance.

Lastly there are rumors that the update of the Mac Pro in Q1 2010 will bring as an option the At HD 5870. At least that is what I am hoping for.

On a side note if you want Physx in games use nVidia card(s) or and Ati card with a dedicated nvidia card for instance the 9600GT (windows 7). For the latest nvidia windows drivers to work in that setup with Ati you need a crack to use Ati as main video output and nvidia as dedicated physx card. Crack can be obtained in this thread after page 30 or so.

http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/16223-n...is-present.html