OSX on ASUS UL30A

boorok

78 posts in this topic

I guess I can write a small outline of what I did to get retail copy of Snow Leopard Working. I don't really have anything working besides native resolution. I'm assuming you have:

A)8gb+ USB stick

B)Mac OSX 10.6 Install DVD IMG file.

C)A working OSX installation.

Note: You may want to download the 10.6.2 combo update from Apple's site seeing that neither ethernet or wifi are working. Here

1) Getting USB Ready

Partition and format USB device using MBR or GUID in disk utility. Format should be Mac OS Extended (Case-sensitive, Journaled.

Then Restore OS X Install DVD to USB using disk utility.USB as destination and the IMG file as source.

Run myHack installer and install it to the USB drive you just prepared. Make sure to install to it your USB drive NOT your existing OSX installation. In customize this is what I chose to install:

-com.apple.Boot.plist

-EvOreboot.kext

-FakeSMC.kext

-LegacyAppleRTC.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext

-UUID.kext

-VoodooPS2Controller.kext

-IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Note:Kexts in bold can be downloaded in my attachment.

Everything else is unchecked. I can't confirm that all the kexts Im using in my /Extra folder are needed, maybe you guys can experiment with that.

Note: Make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is unchecked on the USB. To see this, right click USB then get info.It's towards the bottom

2)Boot from USB on the ASUS UL30, make sure to check your BIOS if booting from your USB isn't working. Installation should then start. Format your hard drive from disk utility if you haven't already.Format should be Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

3.Install, turn computer after it's done; you don't really have to wait or reboot.

4.Boot from the USB again, this time hit any key to prompt the menu and select your new OSX installation.

5.Set up account, Remember the 10.6.2 combo update you downloaded from Apple's site? Transfer it to the Al30 and install it. DO NOT restart after install.You should then install the myHack installer to your new Ul30 OSX hard disk, choosing the same options you did for the USB. This should have created an /Extra folder in the root of your Snow Leopard disk.Make sure you have all this kexts installed in /Extra/Extensions:

-EvOreboot.kext

-FakeSMC.kext

-LegacyAppleRTC.kext

-NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

-PlatformUUID.kext

-UUID.kext

-VoodooPS2Controller.kext

-IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Note:Again, kexts in bold can be downloaded in my attachment.

7. If you want native resolution which I think is 1366x768, install AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext using kext helper.This doesn't enable QE/CI though.

6. That's pretty much it, restart and you should have everything working, or some it at least... Currently only in 32-bit. Booting in 64 breaks native resolution and touchpad. This installation is far from perfect and this is very rough guide to it. If you see any mistakes or have questions..ask them?

is it iAtkos s3 snow leopard you have installed?

Thought this thread was dead, and yeah, it is on it's last gasp. :) Seems we're still stuck with the same issues, eh? No full video acceleration for the intel 4500mhd (no QE/CI), no SLEEP, and no native wifi (although an earlier post mentions there might be some headway on that). The SLEEP thing is critical for me; the laptop needs to shut off after x hrs, and it's a given you'll be snapping the laptop shut when you're on the go.

Anyone able to switch to the nvidia G210 chipset dynamically in OSX? Cuz NO ONE is getting anywhere with the 4500 CI/QE support, and it would be nice if we could do that without having to set the bios in Compatibilty mode -- which crashes my other OSes...

Thanks!

Thought this thread was dead, and yeah, it is on it's last gasp. :P Seems we're still stuck with the same issues, eh? No full video acceleration for the intel 4500mhd (no QE/CI), no SLEEP, and no native wifi (although an earlier post mentions there might be some headway on that). The SLEEP thing is critical for me; the laptop needs to shut off after x hrs, and it's a given you'll be snapping the laptop shut when you're on the go.

Anyone able to switch to the nvidia G210 chipset dynamically in OSX? Cuz NO ONE is getting anywhere with the 4500 CI/QE support, and it would be nice if we could do that without having to set the bios in Compatibilty mode -- which crashes my other OSes...

Thanks!

It has been pointed to me that this is not the place to discuss the VT Asus ULs and their nVidia G210s since the discussion here is about the ULs with Intel GMA only. Good luck to them for getting to completely working state...

Meanwhile I started a thread about the UL30VT a while ago (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=200735&pid=1358870&mode=threaded&show=&st=0) and it could certainly be updated with recents results. I got mine a month ago and I'm finally finding the time to try OSX for the first time. I don't think instant switching on "Hybrid" or even on "Optimus" graphics is possible, partly since OSX doesn't support recent Intel GMAs, and partly because the way drivers work in OSX is HYPER-COMPLICATED. Having to manually switch the BIOS won't be a problem for me, and I guess using the info that has been posted in both threads should be enough to get to a nice result... because Windows 7 is already acting up on me....

oh and for those who want to switch the single antenna wifi card in the UL, I already installed a Broadcom (MacBook Pro chipset) just by pulling the previous one out of the hard drive bay.