Problem booting in SL10.6

monkie

22 posts in this topic

I've spent the last week trying to install Snow Leopard 10.6 onto my Dell Latitude D610 and no matter what I do or how I install it or what guide to follow I always end up at the same point which is "Waiting for DSMOS" and the system hangs.  The system starts waiting for DSMOS just after running fsck on the boot volume and after a launchctl message asking me to convert .etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist to launchd

I've tried various different configurations but I can't seem to get it to boot. I'm running 10.5.6 at the moment and I wish to install 10.6 as a fresh install. I have Chameleon RC3 and in Extras/Extensions I have the following :-

AppleACPIPS2Nub

OpenHaltRestart

VoodooPS2Controller

LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA

NullCPUPowerManagement

AppleRTC

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

PlatformUUID

I replaced IOATAFamily.kext to stop a kernel panic.

I also have fakesmc and dsmos in there and I've tried without fakesmc and just dsmos in Extra/Extension and S/L/E and I've tried fakesmc on its own. When I tired both together I got a kernel panic.

Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to get it up and running.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to install Snow Leopard on my Latitude D610 using the myHack Installer without success. Are you people using a non vanilla kernel? Because I don't think you can get a Pentium M to boot Snow Leopard with a vanilla kernel. I am trying to get it to work using the "Chocolate Kernel" option in the myHack Installer. Mine restarts during boot after it reaches this line "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out". The extra kexts that I am using are:

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleIntelGMA950.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • FramebufferDisabler.kext
  • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext
  • AppleIntelGMA950.kext
  • IOPCIFamily.kext

Let me know if any one has found a solution.

I have been trying to install Snow Leopard on my Latitude D610 using the myHack Installer without success. Are you people using a non vanilla kernel? Because I don't think you can get a Pentium M to boot Snow Leopard with a vanilla kernel. I am trying to get it to work using the "Chocolate Kernel" option in the myHack Installer. Mine restarts during boot after it reaches this line "ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out". The extra kexts that I am using are:

• AHCIPortInjector.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • AppleIntelGMA950.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • fakesmc.kext
  • FramebufferDisabler.kext
  • LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext
  • LegacyAppleRTC_32bit_Only.kext
  • AppleIntelGMA950.kext
  • IOPCIFamily.kext

Let me know if any one has found a solution.

I'm usng a different kernel but i cant get it to see the hdd when i try to install it it just freezes have you gotten it to boot into install yet?

I'm usng a different kernel but i cant get it to see the hdd when i try to install it it just freezes have you gotten it to boot into install yet?

No I haven't gotten it to boot into the install yet. The computer reboots while it is booting into the instal. It reboots right after this line:

"ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out"

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to boot into the "Snow Leopard 10.6.1-10.6.2 Intel AMD made by Hazard" installer. I restored the ISO to an 8GB USB drive then installed Chameleon 1.0.11 to the same USB drive using this installer: http://www.kexts.com/view/195-chameleon_1...._installer.html But I can't seem to get the computer to boot after I install. It ether kernel panics, reboots or freezes at a completely gray screen, depending on what options I select in the installer.

• 2 months later...

I just got snow leopard working on my Dell D610, but not with 100% success. I've just done the same thing as amzor with these options in the installer:

* legacyintelpiix,

* legacy 10.2.0 kernel

* PS/2

After the install:

* I copied IOATAFamily from my leopard iPC 10.5.6 installation to fix a kernel panic

* Also, I was getting "FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length – 6" which I fixed by adding this to fakesmc's info.plist:

<key>MSDS</key>

<data>AAAAAAAA</data>

And have managed to go beyond the freeze at the gray screen after the verbose load. I'm not sure yet exactly what did the trick but it's one or both of these:

* I copied AppleIntelGMA* and AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer from my leopard iPC 10.5.6 installation

* I plugged in an external monitor

Funnily enough, after I got past the initial installation GUIs, I could boot without an external monitor. I suspect the 10.5.6 leo kexts must have done the trick.

The problems I'm facing now:

* The clock shows negative numbers and the date/time GUI doesn't work properly. Finder shows invalid timestamps too for files.

* Rendering problems and the buttons are distorted on the left hand side

* Instability: the finder tends to crash. Textedit mangles the colors on rtf files. Who knows what else, I've not used it too long, but am discouraged enough by this behavior to discontinue using the kernel.

I'll post more once I get to the bottom of exactly what needs to be done.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just tried the 10.4.0 rel 4 legacy kernel on an existing unmodified 10.6.4 SL installation. I tried booting up, but kept getting stuck on the blue screen even with an external monitor plugged in and AppleIntel* kexts replaced (see my post) above. I only managed to boot after I deleted the AppleIntel* kexts. It looks like 16 or 256 colors, so the graphics are definitely not 100%. The worrying thing though is that no dates/times were displayed, not in the menu nor the finder. Also button rendering was still not correct.