Kexts. What Kexts are needed and where do i put them?

makeitso

6 posts in this topic

I've had success with vanilla 10.5.8 and want to put 10.6 onto my spare sataII HDD. I've read forums for days and i only get more and more confused. It seems each install guide is different.

Here's where i've got up to so far:

- Restored 10.6 to a 8GB usb disk (actually a class 6 16gb SDcard through a sd-reader to usb)

- Installed Chameleon RC3 to the disk

I booted of the restored image but it kp's. In safe mode it hangs.

I think the problem is with what Kexts to add. Also, the folder '/extra' is empty.

My questions are:

1) What kexts do i need to put in for 10.6 to work?

2) Do i put them in '/extra'? If not where?

3) Will it KP without EFi strings for my graphics card?

and 4) Have a look at my rig, I have a little bit of cash set aside for upgrades. Do you think anythiong needs to be

upgraded?

Thanks in advance people. B)

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion, I am intermedia hackintosher.

First of all I want to say I had tons of problems installing SL with any other method then using a Boot 123 disk with the actual retail SL. Everything else would KP. Also at first I had KPs if I didn't boot into 64 bit mode: a disk permissions fix in 64bit mode fixed that. With that said:

1) What kexts do i need to put in for 10.6 to work?

Here are the kexts I use:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186570

Only the audio kext and the HaltRestart kext seems out of place for you.

2) Do i put them in '/extra'? If not where?

Yeah, stick them in extra. Be sure to repair disk permissions with the disk utility afterwards.

3) Will it KP without EFi strings for my graphics card?

No, OSX works amazing well in "VESA" (driverless) mode for graphics. Even Expose will work. With that said, you want to add graphics support as soon as possible for the correct resolution- either use dsdt or EFI Studio (my method), or the NVinject as mentioned in the post above mine.

4) Have a look at my rig, I have a little bit of cash set aside for upgrades. Do you think anythiong needs to be

upgraded?

Actually for the most part you have newer stuff than me- it looks nice. The only thing really out of place is the motherboard- 945 mobos are ancient by now. If you have trouble installing SL on that thing, swap out the motherboard for one on the forum that has a guide and a provided dsdt (since those are crazy hard to make properly).

Yes it´s a bit confusing for sure all these threads about how to do it. I just could´nt figure them out. What I found out though is that for me anyway it works best to install to an USB hadrdrive (sata disc inside) with one of the 132 boot discs. Don´t know if it would work with your HW but why not.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=183406

Then I found a com.apple.boot.plist and a PlatformUUID.kext you have to edit a bit, very easy stuff no heavy hacking. I also found a few other kexts that works oob so to speak. Besides that you need the apps Kext Helper, Kext Utility, DSDTPatcher and an installer package for the new Chameleon.

Total of 6 kexts no more and two of them are for my PS2 mouse and Keyboard, one is for my two videocards. So three kexts are new kexts and three kexts comes from my Leo install.

Boot up with this disc and finnish the installation, it´s a bit confusing how to use the disc but I´ve posted in that thread how it works for me.

If it goes ok you can stay there but you´ll allways have to boot SL with the 132 boot disc.

So when you´r done install the kexts using Kexts Helper delete two original kexts and run the DSDT patcher (automatic generates your DSDT.aml). Then put the DSDT.aml you get and the com.apple.boot.plist in the extra folder of the chameleon installer package and run it. Then clear caches with Kext Utility repair permissions reboot and hopefully it works ok. Well maby you´ll need to clear caches and repair permissions again.

I´m putting together somekind of an amateur guide with all the detailed info how I did it. But I have to test it at least one more time before I post it and since I´m really not any good at this I probably can´t answer any questions.

This method seems to work good with my hardware though and it´s not difficult at all. The worst part it´s seems you have to monitor the installations and move the mouse around now and then cause if you don´t the installation freezes. Don´t ask me why. Installing to an USB HD also takes pretty much longer. If it does work with other HW well I really can´t say but I can´t see why it would´nt.

When you´re done just take the sata HD out of the USB cabinette and put in your hack as an internal disc.

AAAaaaaaAAAAAaaaaaargh!!!!!!! It's so frustrating! I've cobbled together a way to make it work from all the guides you fantastic people recommended. Now i have only 1 problem.

Snow leopard KP's AFTER it loads. about 5 seconds after it finishes loading ... Crash!!! I've loaded it with -s and it hangs after saying "loaded for nanoseconds:29484928943" or whatever number it comes with (It looks to change every time).

Please help... . . . . . :P