Gigabyte EP45C-UD3R, 9800GT, Excellent Installing Directions from Lifehacker

MacModifier

99 posts in this topic

After following Lifehacker instructions precisely, everything seems to be running really well (on day 2). One issue that I'm seeing however, is that Flash Video, specifically 720P seems to be very choppy. I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing anything similar. Basically anything from http://www.vimeo.com/hd

Protozog,

I went to the site http://www.vimeo.com/hd, I watched Kuroshio hd video of the indoor aquarium, that was pretty neat. Yea there is an ever so slight lag in my watching.

For people getting lag on hi-def Flash videos, depending on your processor, this isn't really uncommon--it is well known that Adobe's OSX Flash Player is subpar in comparison to its Windows counterpart; just because it doesn't lag in Windows does not mean that it shouldn't lag in OSX either. Flash is supposedly even worse on Linux. With that being said, with an EP45-UD3L and a Core2Duo e2160 (1.8ghz stock, OC'd to 3.0 ghz) I can run hi-def flash video perfectly, as well as 1080P h264/mkv video in Leopard 10.5.8.

I've also got the ep45c-ud3r and I must say it is an awesome board. To answer some peoples questions, I'm fairly sure that your 8800* cards will work with this. I've got an 8800gts I'm using right now that was fully supported OOTB with lifehackers tutorial. I've had one crash, and besides that my machine has been running some MATLAB simulations for about 3 days straight now without a hiccup. I've gotta say I'm pretty impressed.

Just letting you guys know the installer from Lifehacker is meant for the UD3P only. Not the UD3R. :thumbsup_anim:

This is most likely why your systems are freezing.

Take care,

-Stell

Hi Stell, I just the same set of files, but my GA-EP45-UD3R works like a charm. Everything works OOB.

Date of Update Sept 25, 2009***** UPDATE If you have this board and follow Lifehacker's Bios Settings make sure you don't change this one, it is probably why his ethernet did not work out of the box.*****

So, I had some time tonight and went through my BIOS Settings to make sure they where exactly like the ones that Lifehacker posted on his tutorial because my settings where from when I had Leopard and what I was using was someone else's settings from a while back. I changed everything to match his settings, a couple of these where different and started wandering if that might be the cause of my Quicktime 8 Problems, anyway.

One of the settings that I changed according to his was, the second Onboard H/W LAN. Here is the image.

post-333172-1253937647_thumb.jpg

Everything worked fine on the re-boot up but I no longer had ethernet working. It was dead. So, knowing that it worked before I went and re-edited my bios, something changed on my bios that was stopping the internet from coming through now. I followed Lifehackers BIOS Settings to the letter. I thought it might be both my hard drives being set to "None" but still it did not work after I changed them back so I re-set them to None. Then I thought it has to do with my Lan Connection. I went to the BIOS, changed the second "Lan", the one under the one that says "Onboard H/W 1394 back to "Enabled" an we have a WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER! Anyway, it works again so, what I have concluded;

The reason why Lifehacker had to buy a separate internet card was because he turned that LAN connection off in his BIOS, that's what makes sense to me, so;

If you have this board and follow his BIOS settings make sure you leave that Enabled so your internet will work from your motherboards built in ethernet card.

I am also hoping since, I did change all of the other settings in my BIOS to be exactly like his BIOS settings, that it will clean up the other issues that I was having, I will report back latter.

If anyone wants to post your thoughts or experiences with this board and setup good or bad feel free to do so. It is fun to read about how others are doing with there Hackintosh.

Date of Update Sept 25, 2009***** UPDATE If you have this board and follow Lifehacker's Bios Settings make sure you don't change this one, it is probably why his ethernet did not work out of the box.*****

So, I had some time tonight and went through my BIOS Settings to make sure they where exactly like the ones that Lifehacker posted on his tutorial because my settings where from when I had Leopard and what I was using was someone else's settings from a while back. I changed everything to match his settings, a couple of these where different and started wandering if that might be the cause of my Quicktime 8 Problems, anyway.

One of the settings that I changed according to his was, the second Onboard H/W LAN. Here is the image.

post-333172-1253937647_thumb.jpg

Everything worked fine on the re-boot up but I no longer had ethernet working. It was dead. So, knowing that it worked before I went and re-edited my bios, something changed on my bios that was stopping the internet from coming through now. I followed Lifehackers BIOS Settings to the letter. I thought it might be both my hard drives being set to "None" but still it did not work after I changed them back so I re-set them to None. Then I thought it has to do with my Lan Connection. I went to the BIOS, changed the second "Lan", the one under the one that says "Onboard H/W 1394 back to "Enabled" an we have a WINNER, WINNER, CHICKEN DINNER! Anyway, it works again so, what I have concluded;

The reason why Lifehacker had to buy a separate internet card was because he turned that LAN connection off in his BIOS, that's what makes sense to me, so;

If you have this board and follow his BIOS settings make sure you leave that Enabled so your internet will work from your motherboards built in ethernet card.

I am also hoping since, I did change all of the other settings in my BIOS to be exactly like his BIOS settings, that it will clean up the other issues that I was having, I will report back latter.

If anyone wants to post your thoughts or experiences with this board and setup good or bad feel free to do so. It is fun to read about how others are doing with there Hackintosh.

Good job guys. I just purchased some hardware for my hackintosh with the same specs as you except my board is EP45-UD3R. I'm waiting for the parts to come in. So, if I understand correctly, the LifeHacker tutorial will allow me to have sound/ethernet working out of the box along with the proper ID? I prepped the USB disk already and cant wait.

I wonder why the lifehacker author didn't just enable the onboard ethernet. He chose rather to buy a another Lan card? :)

Anyways, let me know if you got a chance to test out your hackintosh more. :P

Good job guys. I just purchased some hardware for my hackintosh with the same specs as you except my board is EP45-UD3R. I'm waiting for the parts to come in. So, if I understand correctly, the LifeHacker tutorial will allow me to have sound/ethernet working out of the box along with the proper ID? I prepped the USB disk already and cant wait.

I wonder why the lifehacker author didn't just enable the onboard ethernet. He chose rather to buy a another Lan card?

Anyways, let me know if you got a chance to test out your hackintosh more. :)

Okay found out why he chose to get a separate ethernet card

Answer came from member Stellarola: "You guys can use the onboard ethernet, there's just no bonjour support."

As far as Sound/Ethernet OTB, Mine worked exactly as his tutorial said, I just had to go to the System Preferences and change the Output to "Line Out" and sound worked perfectly.

Yea, I was wandering why Lifehacker did that too?? It does not make sense to me either but I guess there has to be a reason why he chose to do it that way. Him and the People that work with him have got to be pretty intelligent to set this script up so, I don't think it was by accident??

That would be a good question to ask him on his website and then reply back.

As far as Sound/Ethernet OTB, Mine worked exactly as his tutorial said, I just had to go to the System Preferences and change the Output to "Line Out" and sound worked perfectly.

Alright, finally put together my hackintosh yesterday. I followed the Lifehacker guide. Everything installed fine but when I apply the Magic Installer on the newly installed SL Hard Drive and reboot, it gets stuck at "Verifying DMI" part. It must be the boot loader. When I boot up on the USB stick, I can choose the install or the SL HD that I just installed. Do you know if Chameleon is installed on the Lifehacker tutorial Magic file? I thought it was. Any ideas why its not booting into SL HD without the USB stick?

Lastly, I put an Asus 138G wireless card which was said to be SL native. After installing SL, the wireless card is recognized, as I can create a network, but it just won't pick up any networks. I heard in one post that HPET causes the wireless to not work properly. I'm just wondering how to enable the wireless card with the Life Hacker guide.

So two issues, one is the bootloader issue and second wireless issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your helps guys.

Alright, finally put together my hackintosh yesterday. I followed the Lifehacker guide. Everything installed fine but when I apply the Magic Installer on the newly installed SL Hard Drive and reboot, it gets stuck at "Verifying DMI" part. It must be the boot loader. When I boot up on the USB stick, I can choose the install or the SL HD that I just installed. Do you know if Chameleon is installed on the Lifehacker tutorial Magic file? I thought it was. Any ideas why its not booting into SL HD without the USB stick?

Lastly, I put an Asus 138G wireless card which was said to be SL native. After installing SL, the wireless card is recognized, as I can create a network, but it just won't pick up any networks. I heard in one post that HPET causes the wireless to not work properly. I'm just wondering how to enable the wireless card with the Life Hacker guide.

So two issues, one is the bootloader issue and second wireless issue.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for your helps guys.

Figured it out! I just cleared cmos and dmi and reinstalled and boots fine now into the HD. Its just the wireless not working :wacko:

Figured it out! I just cleared cmos and dmi and reinstalled and boots fine now into the HD. Its just the wireless not working :(

Pablo,

That is good to hear that you got it working! :)

Let me know when you get the card working and what it took to get it working? I think there was someone else that wanted a wireless card and was asking which one worked with this set-up. Any info on your experience with this would be great.

Side Note: If your Hackintosh is recognozing the card, try going into system preferences and mess with the Network tab, wireless and the advanced features and see if you can scan the wireless networks.

Pablo,

That is good to hear that you got it working! :D

Let me know when you get the card working and what it took to get it working? I think there was someone else that wanted a wireless card and was asking which one worked with this set-up. Any info on your experience with this would be great.

Side Note: If your Hackintosh is recognozing the card, try going into system preferences and mess with the Network tab, wireless and the advanced features and see if you can scan the wireless networks.

If that does not work you MIGHT, not sure, have to edit the DSDT.aml file. There is another post in here that talks about how to edit this file.

Yeah, I'm happy about it. Its very fast and stable. No problems at all. Let me ask you a question though. My Bios recognizes my ram as 1066mhz (ocz2p1066GK) but the get info on the snow leopard reports only 800mhz. Any ideas? I checked the BIOS several times but its says 1066.

Yeah, I'm happy about it. Its very fast and stable. No problems at all. Let me ask you a question though. My Bios recognizes my ram as 1066mhz (ocz2p1066GK) but the get info on the snow leopard reports only 800mhz. Any ideas? I checked the BIOS several times but its says 1066.

Yea, if you go into the "Extra" folder, then open the file that says "smbios.plist" Look in there and you will see this:

<key>SMmemspeed</key Then below it you will see this

<string>800</string>

I believe this is the speed that shows up in about this Mac. Lifehackers ram was 800Mhz that is why it is set to 800, you can try changing that and see what happens.

*** Disclaimer: It might break your hackintosh if you change it not sure, worst case you have to reinstall ***

You can try that by changing the 800 to your correct speed and re-booting. Let me know how it turns out if you do that.

Did you get your wireless card working?

My Hack Pro is working really well, including the Asus WL-138G V2 (PCI) wireless card.

I want to get another HDD as a scratch disk for Final Cut Studio and possibly another one for running Windows 7.

However, I'm really inexperienced in the field. Any suggestions as to what I should look for? Final Cut recommended a Firewire drive as a scratch disk, but I'm guessing that's just because most people don't want to open their Macs to put in a SATA drive.

My Hack Pro is working really well, including the Asus WL-138G V2 (PCI) wireless card.

I want to get another HDD as a scratch disk for Final Cut Studio and possibly another one for running Windows 7.

However, I'm really inexperienced in the field. Any suggestions as to what I should look for? Final Cut recommended a Firewire drive as a scratch disk, but I'm guessing that's just because most people don't want to open their Macs to put in a SATA drive.

I am not using Final Cut as of writing this response but here are my thoughts on this:

1. If you are using this same board as this post, there are, I believe, 6 Sata ports built in. That means that you could if you wanted to and had the room inside your case for them, add 6, One Terabyte Drives. I have another Hack Pro that I have 5 in there right now.

I am using the Hitachi Deskstar 1TB. It has 16MB of Cache and is running at 3.0Gb. These are currently selling on newegg.com for 79.99 and that includes shipping. You got to love newegg!

Anyway, I can speak to the speed of the firewire device. I know there are two versions, firewire 800 and firewire 400 and both are different speeds.

If it was me, I would just throw another Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Drive in my Hack Pro and use it as the Scratch disk.

Firewire 800 and 400 Transfer Rates

The maximum speed of FireWire 400 is 400 Mbits per second, whereas FireWire 800 tops out at 800 Mbits per second.

Hitachi Deskstar 1TB Transfer Rate

Data Transfer Rate 300 Mbits per second, 9.2 ms average seek time 16 MB buffer

Conclusion:

So, the internal hard drive is just a little slower than Firewire 400 and Firewire 800 is just a little short of 3 times the speed of the internal hard drive.

Firewire 800 much better, Firewire 400 probably no noticeable difference.

*** I don't know if this board has Firewire 800 or if it does if it is even supported and will work out of the box without some hacking, If you go with Firewire 400 or 800 those are questions you will probably want to get answered before making a decision if you choose either of these ***

Date of Update October 3, 2009 ***** UPDATE, After reading other's posts, now understand why Lifehacker purchased a separate ethernet card.*****

From what I read it appears that if you use the onboard ethernet card and I quote, "You guys can use the onboard ethernet, there's just no bonjour support." This came from member Stellarola.

EP45 mobo have Realtek 8111B or Realtek 8111 for EP35, Gigabit LAN Controller

yes there is something about this card preventing Bonjour to work properly, while i was reading, i see that a lot of people don't know, but Realtek has made drivers for mac due to PCI card i guess.

and guess what it takes 10 sec to have bonjour working :) I have applied this here, i have three mobo EP45

RealTek download page :

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

download the only driver for mac :

- MacOS 10.4 and 10.5 on Intel-based Mac computer v2.0.3 2009/8/11 543k

Download with Firefox, safari seems to have problems with it

EP45 mobo have Realtek 8111B or Realtek 8111 for EP35, Gigabit LAN Controller

yes there is something about this card preventing Bonjour to work properly, while i was reading, i see that a lot of people don't know, but Realtek has made drivers for mac due to PCI card i guess.

and guess what it takes 10 sec to have bonjour working :lol: I have applied this here, i have three mobo EP45

RealTek download page :

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

download the only driver for mac :

- MacOS 10.4 and 10.5�on Intel-based Mac computer v2.0.3 2009/8/11 543k

Download with Firefox, safari seems to have problems with it

Dazz, thanks for the update. To the people reading this, I have not personally used this technique so I CAN"T speak to it working or not working. Use this at your own risk. According to Dazz this works. Anyone who tires this update, please post your results in this thread so we can determine.

Hey BatterseaPS,

How did you get the wireless working? My wireless is recognized by SL but I get no networks (I can only create network?) did you do anything different from the Guide?

Thanks.

Pablo,

I have not tested this, I just went by what member "dazz" said, that it works. (I guess the lesson here is always put a disclaimer on something that I have not personally tested) I did not need Bonjour at this current time so I did not install the driver.

Dazz, or someone that knows what is going on will have to respond to your question. I have taken there suggestion away from the main section until we make sure this works and can figure out what is going on. I know this does not help you right now but at least others will not break there internet connection if this is driver related versus user related.

Just a suggestion, you probably already tired this but you can try to add a Network in the system preferences with the plus button and see if it will recognize the internet that way. Let me know when you figure out what is going on and what the solution is?

I sent Dazz a PM asking him/her to help and post a reply.

I'm on another computer but Dazz, can you tell me if you are using 32bit or 64bit kernel? I read somewhere that the realteck driver does not work with 64bit kernel. If this is the case, I may have to update my chameleon to rc3 and change the kernel to force into 32bit. I will try this later.

I tried installing this and my internet got killed. In network, it says ethernet not connected. I tried uninstalling the driver and restarting but no go.

What gives?

what's your mobo ? mac os version ? did you instal other ktext for networking ?

I'm on another computer but Dazz, can you tell me if you are using 32bit or 64bit kernel? I read somewhere that the realteck driver does not work with 64bit kernel. If this is the case, I may have to update my chameleon to rc3 and change the kernel to force into 32bit. I will try this later.

Hi everyone. I figured it out finally. The 64 bit kernel is the root of the problem. I had to change the plist in the Extra folder to make it boot in to 32bit by typing arch=i386 -legacy

After that I installed the realtek driver and the internet works but the bonjour still doesn't work.

After I changed to 32 bit, I don't know if it is just my mind playing tricks, but it seems a slight bit slower or I hear the HD seem to work alittle more.