Please Help - No sleep for days - Cash Reward Offered!

jim.starling

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

I've tried everything to get Osx86 working on my new PC without success; I think this is most probably a compatibility problem or possibly I am choosing the wrong options on install.

I'm trying to use iPC 10.5.7; i can actually get that DVD to boot; I cant get jas or iAtkos 7 or any of the others to boot (I get still waiting for boot on those).

I install iPc with AppleNforce chipset driver only but the installtion just hangs. I've tried boot flags setting memory to max of 2gb; running only 1 core; safe mode etc etc. I;ve been trying things almost non-stop for 5 days now and am either going to throw my PC out of the window or take my own life....joke!

My system is:-

Asus P5N-T Deluxe with Intel Core2Quad Q9550

xPertvision GeForce 9600GT 1GB

8GB Corsair DDR2 800Mhz Ram

1 160gb Sata HD running Windows Vista Home Prem 64bit

1 500gb Sata HD being used as a SAVES drive for all my music/video etc

1 160gb Sata HD - which i'm hoping to get OSX working on!

HP DVD1160D DVDRW

I will happily offer a cash reward ($50) via paypal to anyone who can give me information to get OSX successfully working on this hardware.

PLEASE HELP!

Jim

Have you installed to the drive on an other computer and added the kext driver? Not sure what you mean.

Have you made a Fat32 Primary partition?

Used the rd command ?

Specify root disk rd = root disk.

something like

rd=disk1s2 or rd=diskXsX ie X = where it's going or is.

Is your nforce supported?

ON ahci or sata in bios etc.

When does the installation hang? When first booting the system? When you're setting options? When the system is supposed to be copying files to the hard disk? Is the freeze point identical when you try multiple times, or does it fail at different points (say, 20% through copying files once, and 60% through the next time)?

If the installer hangs when it's first booting (when the display shows the gray Apple logo), boot with the "-v" option at the boot loader. This will replace the Apple logo with a text-mode display of kernel messages, which may be diagnostic. Post the last couple lines (or take a photo and post it) for advice.

When does the installation hang? When first booting the system? When you're setting options? When the system is supposed to be copying files to the hard disk? Is the freeze point identical when you try multiple times, or does it fail at different points (say, 20% through copying files once, and 60% through the next time)?

If the installer hangs when it's first booting (when the display shows the gray Apple logo), boot with the "-v" option at the boot loader. This will replace the Apple logo with a text-mode display of kernel messages, which may be diagnostic. Post the last couple lines (or take a photo and post it) for advice.

More details and pics can be found here http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/still-waitin....html#post34461

iPC installs OK but wont boot after that. All others wont boot the DVD - i get STILL WAITING FOR BOOT when in verbose mode.

I have been told that gfx card and mobo are not compatible with osx and am about to fork out on replacements; obviously I;d rather not though.

I've always used disk utility on iPC DVD to format in Mac Extended Journaled - the disk utility on the dvd doesnt give me partition options.

I have tried rd= but with no success.

Somewhat peripheral to your problem, Disk Utility probably does offer partitioning options; however, they can be hard to find if you're not familiar with the tool. You've got to click on the entry for the whole disk (e.g., "149.1 GB ST3160815AS") rather than any individual existing partition (e.g, "Shared Data"). You'll then see a "Partition" item appear between "Erase" and "RAID." Click Partition and you'll be able to partition the disk. A few other items are hidden there, too; most importantly, you can click "Options" after you start making changes. This will let you select MBR, APM, or GUID (GPT) partitioning schemes. None of this is directly relevant to your dilemma, though; it sounds like you've got driver problems, not partitioning problems.

My only suggestion is to try every nVidia SATA/PATA driver you can find. Quite a few are floating around, but unfortunately I don't know of any site that collects them all for easy reference. The download links often lack version information.

If your version of iPC includes a live DVD image, you may be able to boot it and check out the drivers you uncover. (For that matter, if the live DVD boots, you could try copying its nVidia SATA/PATA driver to your regular installation.)

Just same quickly composed thoughts:

- You should check if your mainboard needs a BIOS patch (mine, P5Q Deluxe, needed it!)

- You should check if your devices are set to AHCI in the BIOS

- You should use Boot-132 and a Retail DVD instead of a "Distribution" and find the drivers/kext stuff on your own and adding them later using KextHelper.

I know, this sounds frustrating at the moment, but believe me, after a lot months with crashing kernels and bad experience with Updates, it's worth the work :D

Ciao

Nemo