please need advice buying good network card

xbb

6 posts in this topic

Hi, I want to buy a PCI-EX 1Gb network card with jumbo frames (9k) support and that works after sleep on Snow Leopard,

could you give me any advice please?

I tried 3 different Intel network cards with 82541 and 82574L chipset but they do not work with original kexts (also adding device id), tried the 82566mm driver and one of them get found properly but I get kernel panic... so no luck with these cards.

I have an onboard Marvell 88e8056 which works and support jumbo frames but does not work after sleep...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
i make legacy kext for Intel 82574L (my device-id 0x10d3)

LegacyIntel82574L.kext.zip

I am running 10.6.3. I added LegacyIntel82574L.kext to /E/E and updated my boot cache. No such luck. The card is not recognized. When I edit the Intel82574L.kext info.plist in /S/L/E/ the card works fine. Am I forgetting something? Does LegacyIntel82574L.kext need to be updated for 10.6.3? I would prefer to to use the /E/E/ method and leave my System folder pristine. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

I am running 10.6.3. I added LegacyIntel82574L.kext to /E/E and updated my boot cache. No such luck. The card is not recognized. When I edit the Intel82574L.kext info.plist in /S/L/E/ the card works fine. Am I forgetting something? Does LegacyIntel82574L.kext need to be updated for 10.6.3? I would prefer to to use the /E/E/ method and leave my System folder pristine. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

I made some changes to the kext and now it works for me when added to Extensions.mkext in /Extra. I've attached it below. In case anyone is wondering, the card I purchased is the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter EXPI9301CT.

EDIT: 9/24/2010 Slightly updated kext

LegacyIntel82574L.kext.zip

• 6 months later...
I made some changes to the kext and now it works for me when added to Extensions.mkext in /Extra. I've attached it below. In case anyone is wondering, the card I purchased is the Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter EXPI9301CT.

EDIT: 9/24/2010 Slightly updated kext

Came across this thread because I'm upgrading my network to 1GB speed and want jumbo frames. Standard Macs of of the last few years support 9000 (I suspect it's 9000 and change). Anyway, the Realtek chips max out in the 7000s as far as frames are concerned and I use the EXPI9301CT currently in all my windows servers and desktops in my network. It's a fantastic card and if I can get it to work in my hack... i would be super happy.

I'm wondering how the NIC is performing for you? Can you post some screen shots of your network properties? Does it give you the option for MTU settings to 9000 under NETWORK>Advanced?

Is your Bonjour working? Networking with other macs? etc

If this is working well, it would be a big upgrade for the community, the realtek family of chips have terrible throughput.

Thanks for your feedback.

LTL