M-Audio Firewire 410 Install

Synthology

6 posts in this topic

Greetings all,

For my own reference as well as for others, I have managed to install a properly working Firewire 410 under Snow.

Needed utilites:

Kext Utility 2.3.2

Pacifist

Kext Helper

Once Snow Leopard was installed, I downloaded the latest Firewire driver at M-Audio (Version 1.8.4-3)

When it installed, it gives an error that the "M-AudioFireWireBeBoB.kext" could not be installed.

No problem there, just disregard for now. Once installation is complete, DO NOT RESTART!

Using Pacifist, open the M-Audio Driver and navigate to: Contents of M-Audio FireWire Kernel Extension.pkg

There you will find: M-AudioFireWireBeBoB.kext

Extract it to your desktop and install it using Kext Helper.

For good measure, run Kext Utility to clean up extensions caches and shutdown.

When your hackmac is shutdown, you would normally connect the FW410 and power on your machine.

Of course your milage may vary, however, its been working fairly well so far. Logic 9 and SL bugs aside, I would say everything appears to work well. In my particular case, Logic seemed to perform more CPU efficient on old Leopard, even in Logic 9.

I am pretty sure that Logic 9's performance is a Snow Leopard thing, not necessarily Logic. I could be wrong though, Reason 401 seems to work pretty rock solid. But then again, when hasn't it?

Hope this info was useful. I took the plunge into Snow, and yet, I don't regret it.

Cheers,

Prof. Synthology

Greetings,

Where do I begin with X64. Its a long debate with mixed opinions and conclusions. I assumed most ProAudio folks on these boards would not even try to touch 64 bit for audio at this particular time, possibly even decade. Indeed, most if not all audio software and hardware related issues even begin to deal with anything in 64 bit.

In short, audio in 32 bit works good.

Audio in 64 bit, not good.

If 64 bit audio is an interest to some people, you will indeed be disappointed. Not by the performance, of course not. But by the lack of support from everybody, including Apple. And I do mean everybody.

Cheers,

Prof. Synthology