USB Problems...

sigterm

8 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I'm having some problems with my USB ports.

I've got a HP DV5-1165ep laptop, with 3 USB ports (one on the left, two on the right), running 10.5.8 vanilla.

As I'm writing this, the following is happening:

- I have an Apple keyboard connected to the left port. The mouse is chained to the keyboard.

- If I connect the mouse to any of the right ports, it doesn't work. The laser lits up for a fraction of a second and then goes out. The same happens with the keyboard.

- If I connect an USB pen, it works... On all ports...

I'm using the latest IOUSBFamily.kext by Slice, but the same happened before.

My bootloader is Chameleon 2.0 RC2 r640 with DSDT patched.

On my Extra folder I have: AppleSMBIOS.kext, dsmos.kext and VoodooPS2Controller.kext

Any idea why this is happening?

Thanks in advance for any help. :lol:

Hi,

I have the similar problem od HP DV5-1253eg (it has ICH9 Family USB) laptop. But this happens only sometimes.

Once all USB ports work, second time left side USB port works and other time right side USB ports work.

What I noticed is that (in some cases) on the one side USB ports won't accept keyboard/mouse, but connecting flash drive would work. Could be USB 2.0/1.1. or different class device (HID/Mass storage.. )

during verbose boot I see sometimes USB related message .. mentioning UIM couldn't be initialized, or something like that.

I also tried IOUSBFamily-343.4.3 and IOUSBFamily-343.4.4 kexts, with same results as with vanilla ones.

To get everything working (I get also KP's from audio driers sometime or no audio, but this is for different thread) I need to restart my laptop multiple times.

Couple days ago I installed Snow Leopard, on which I have only USB problem (with voodoohda I have sound but no working internal mic).

Anybody have solution for this?

I can provide more info if needed?

Greetings, Ivan

Guest freemaximus

me too!!!! I have same your USB problem with Intel chipset ich7 asus P5GM-MX1333......

I have connect usb keyboard, usb mice, usb bluetooth, and external usb Disk.......

All of you, try this:

Let your Macs load WITHOUT ANY usb devices connected ! Even keyboards and mice ! Then see what happens...

The problem with my setup is that if i reboot or boot with usb device connected then i get no usb 2.0 support and not all of my usbs work. But if i reboot my machine without any and connect them when Leopard loads everything is fine - all usb ports work @ 480 Mbps.

Good luck ! ^_^

When I boot from internal hard (Leopard) with no USB devices connected I same behavior, but integrated web cam is always connected to USB (i.e. no bios option to disable it), and system doesn't see it always (depends if the rest of USB ports are detected.

Snow Leopard is installed on external USB HD.. funny part is system always boot from it without problems, but other USB ports like on Leopard sometime work and sometime not and port where hard is connected (no matter which USB port) works.

I have to reboot multiple times with fingers crossed to have all USB ports working or to switch keyboard/mouse to ones that work when system is up.

All of you, try this:

Let your Macs load WITHOUT ANY usb devices connected ! Even keyboards and mice ! Then see what happens...

The problem with my setup is that if i reboot or boot with usb device connected then i get no usb 2.0 support and not all of my usbs work. But if i reboot my machine without any and connect them when Leopard loads everything is fine - all usb ports work @ 480 Mbps.

Good luck ! :rolleyes:

Guest freemaximus

Hi Guys, I have tryed to delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E, and now all usb devices works fine!!!!! make a backup of this file becouse if you have not results reinstall it with kext helper!!!!!!

Warning: I am using Snow Leopard

Hi Guys, I have tryed to delete AppleHPET.kext from S/L/E, and now all usb devices works fine!!!!! make a backup of this file becouse if you have not results reinstall it with kext helper!!!!!!

Warning: I am using Snow Leopard

I jsut tried with removing AppleHPET.kext on my Snow Leopard install and after couple reboots I always have USB.. so far so good!

Thanks for the tip!

Small update:

I returned original AppleHPET.kext, but replaced IOPCIFamily.kext with slice's version, and USB ports work all the time on both Leopard and Snow Leopard.

• 1 month later...
All of you, try this:

Good luck ! :(

oh I tried this method and it really worked~ ;) how strange it is..

what's more, my built-in camera worked in this way...