InsanelyMac Forum
macmatt79

Force Snow Leo to boot in 32 Bit Mode?

How do I get SL to boot into 32bit mode? I have it installed but cant get my sound or lan to work on my P43-ES3G motherboard with 8111C LAN. SL keeps booting into 64 bit mode and I tried to hold down 32 while booting and this does not work. I think the reason my sound and LAN don't work is due to their not being any 64bit Kexts available. I am using Chameleon R2 as my bootloader via a USB flash drive per Lifehackers method.

Any Ideas on where I should start?

Chipset

North Bridge: Intel® P43 Express Chipset

South Bridge: Intel® ICH10

Memory

4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory

Dual channel memory architecture

Support for DDR2 1200/1066/800/667 MHz

memory modules

(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest memory support list.)

Audio

Realtek ALC888 codec

High Definition Audio

2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

Support for S/PDIF Out

Support for CD In

LAN

Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)

Advertisement

Use -x32 as a kernel flag when booting. You can put this into your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

For some reasons the flag doesn't change anything... I can still see that kext are 64 bits

Actually that brings an interesting question, how do yo know if you kernel is 32 or 64?

I figure it out by checking the kext type in About my Mac...

Use -x32 as a kernel flag when booting. You can put this into your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>-x32</string>

For some reasons the flag doesn't change anything... I can still see that kext are 64 bits

Actually that brings an interesting question, how do yo know if you kernel is 32 or 64?

I figure it out by checking the kext type in About my Mac...

System Profiler -> Software

System Profiler -> Software

Thanks, I figured but wanted confirmation.

So.. I am kind of trapped in 64 bits mode.

Let me summarize my install: Chameleon RC3 + EFI Partition.

boom.plist on EFI partition with flags -x32 -v -arch=i368

Still.. it boots 64 bits !!

You're not the only one,

Since using Chameleon RC3, it doesn't read the 32-bit kernel flags. It always boots 64-bit.

What I do is when the chameleon GUI shows up, I hit Tab, that brings me to the Darwin bootloader. From there, I select the Snow Leopard partition and type at the promt arch=i386. That gets me to boot in 32-bit.

You're not the only one,

Since using Chameleon RC3, it doesn't read the 32-bit kernel flags. It always boots 64-bit.

What I do is when the chameleon GUI shows up, I hit Tab, that brings me to the Darwin bootloader. From there, I select the Snow Leopard partition and type at the promt arch=i386. That gets me to boot in 32-bit.

I am having exact same issue -- anyone found a more permanent solution?

I am having exact same issue -- anyone found a more permanent solution?

same issue with Chameleon RC2, here's an image of boot process with -v flag:

post-403021-1252405403_thumb.png

I have permanent 32 bit booting with boot argument arch=i386 -x32 and not -arch=i386 -x32 plist. with RC3.

So you put both flags arch=i386 and -x32 in com.apple.Boot.plist?

For RC3, you just put arch=i386.

i am in the same boat.

snow leo 10.6.3 installed with chameleon 2 rc4

i cant find any com.apple.Boot.plist file on my hdd

not even with hidden files enabled

where is that?

should i create one?