ATI 2600XT and Snow Leopard

FuManchu84

9 posts in this topic

I'm planning to install SL and according to the threads around it should be no problem on my GA-EP35-DS4. The only thing I'm not sure about is my ATI Radeon 2600XT. Is there anyone who had success running SL with this card? There are many people that report bad things about the Radeon 2600 series under SL. So, will it be possible or not?

I'm currently running 10.5.8 and this driver. Is there a chance that it also works with SL?

To answer your question, I will tell you what I THINK...I would not take this as the final word on the subject...

Right now it looks like the ATI series is not supported as far as QE/CI is concerned. You can get it working as far as resolution changes are concerned but to the best of my knowledge there is no support currently for accelerated video and there most likely will not be any support ever for the new OpenCL technologies.

To answer your question, I will tell you what I THINK...I would not take this as the final word on the subject...

Right now it looks like the ATI series is not supported as far as QE/CI is concerned. You can get it working as far as resolution changes are concerned but to the best of my knowledge there is no support currently for accelerated video and there most likely will not be any support ever for the new OpenCL technologies.

Thanks for the answer, but HOW do I get it working? I'm a little pissed becaus I bought this card (and the rest of my components) to maximize compatibility with OSX (the older Mac Pros had the exact same model). And now SL doesn't support it any more? For Leopard I used the installer (see link above). So I never messed around with EFI strings or something like that. Several guides recommend to use EFI studio to create a GFX string. But the EFI studio I have (V 1.1, I think it's the latest release) only supports some Geforce cards. So did you get your Radeon running under SL and HOW did you do it?

Thanks for the answer, but HOW do I get it working? I'm a little pissed becaus I bought this card (and the rest of my components) to maximize compatibility with OSX (the older Mac Pros had the exact same model). And now SL doesn't support it any more? For Leopard I used the installer (see link above). So I never messed around with EFI strings or something like that. Several guides recommend to use EFI studio to create a GFX string. But the EFI studio I have (V 1.1, I think it's the latest release) only supports some Geforce cards. So did you get your Radeon running under SL and HOW did you do it?

Original Sl support Hd 2600XT, bu the firmware is not the same.

Only 48xx series is supported with QE/CI in Snow/Hackintosh. Rare cases of x1950 working are present in the forum.

For working with 2600XT in Snow, only resolution change, but not QE/CI, you must put EFIstring for 2400XT in your com.apple.Boot.plist and erase ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Giorgio

Original Sl support Hd 2600XT, bu the firmware is not the same.

Only 48xx series is supported with QE/CI in Snow/Hackintosh. Rare cases of x1950 working are present in the forum.

For working with 2600XT in Snow, only resolution change, but not QE/CI, you must put EFIstring for 2400XT in your com.apple.Boot.plist and erase ATIRadeonX2000.kext

Giorgio

And where do I geht the EFIstring for 2400XT? Thanks in advance for your help!

Which restrictions do I have without QE/CI?

And where do I geht the EFIstring for 2400XT? Thanks in advance for your help!

Which restrictions do I have without QE/CI?

With my ATI 2400XT id 0x94c1 I have only change resolution and Core Image Activated, not Quartz Extreme , with This Efistring: Efi2400.txt and ATIRNDRV.kext from a leopard 10.5.8.

The restrictions: Some sofware don't install (i.e. Toast Titanium, Logic) and is not possible view DiVX Movie, DVD.

Giorgio

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...