Stuck on Grey Screen USB Drive Install

badger15

6 posts in this topic

Ok, I know this has been asked before but I can't seem to find a proper solution. I've created a bootable USB install following this tutorial: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish.

I used a Lacie Quadra drive connected via USB for the bootable Snow Leopard install.

I can load the chameleon bootloader and darwin and get through the screen with the shiny apple only to get stuck on a dark grey screen with only the mouse cursor. I thought maybe something was wrong with my BIOS USB settings so I switched legacy to disabled but then I couldn't find my USB drive anymore. Not sure what other BIOS settings to play with.

I also tried to boot with -v or -x -f but I can't seem to find a proper time to enter that in? The bootloader loads so fast I don't see where I can type it in.

It is a brand new drive so I don't think that the cable is bad, but I will try switching it out. My system consists of a P5k-e mobo | E6850 | 8GB OCZ RAM | ATi x1950 PRO | SATA DVD rom | 2 SATA drives.

Any quick guidance would be awesome! I followed the cited tutorial with no issues until I tried to boot from the USB Lacie drive. Thank you so much.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

one's your on the Chameleon screen push the down array button. u can then choose second option for verbose.

if that screen doesn't show, push the tab bar (only one time) when being on the bootloader screen to switch to GUI.