Upgrading Kalyway 10.5.2 to 10.5.7, is it even possible?

sweaver

8 posts in this topic

After spending 4 straight days working on building my first PC based Mac, I am a little disgusted. I have a Dell 1501 laptop that fails with kernel panic when trying to install with iAtkos v7 but was able to get a good, stable, working load with Kalyway 10.5.2. So now I needed 10.5.7 to get the iphone sdk loaded. I found a guide and the downloads to Ideneb 1.5 which is labled as a "one click update". Well I applied the update and completely blew the OS. In my experience in searching for information so far I have found the following:

1. Every guide has a pre-requisite that are very versed in apple lingo and know the numerous steps to take before the first step listed in the guide
  2. If you have problems and ask a basic how to, you sometimes get good info but more often you either get no response of very snarky answers from "experts" that would rather belittle the person asking for help than to offer advice.
  3. Nothing about this is easy. With 5 or 6 different versions out of 9 or 10 different makers, its the craziest thing I've ever seen.

So all that for my most basic of questions. Can someone please tell me, call it spoonfeeding, I dont care, how to get from 10.5.2 to 10.5.7 the quickest and easiest? I can assure you I've earned my stripes the last few days. I have over 100 of pages of guides and such scattered everywhere, I have 4 different distribution packages I've tried, over 11GBs of patches and kexts downloaded...all for naught because I cant find a single coherent post about how to upgrade it. What I have attempted is to piece a sentence from this post and a line from that but zero luck.

Some will say well what errors are you getting? Too many to post. I am now attempting to reinstall the 10.5.2 Kalyway to at least get it back up and running. It's failed three times already because I cant put my hands on the original install guide I found for that and I must be missing something because its giving errors on loading the ps2keyboard.

So anyway, not to sound like another OMG PLEASE HELP ME GOD...

Can I please get some help?

Thanks.

Hello there,

I had the same challenge 4 months ago, now 10.5.8 is out and i got again the big challenge.

First of all you need to have at least three harddisks in your system or 2 internal, one external.

Why ? You need to install 10.5.2 kalyway on two partitions.

Then one partition you upgrade following this guide:

1. open directory utility enable root user from menu. set password.

2. open terminal type sudo su. enter password

3. in terminal typed without quotes. Enter.

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

4.mount 10.5.8 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!

5. Restart PC and swith to the other kalyway 10.5.2 install which works.

In this system you go to the other harddisk where you just did the upgrade to 10.5.8

6. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

7. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.

8. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.

9. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package ON THE HARDDISK OF THE Updated 10.5.2 !!!. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.

9. restart!

10. Find the nescessary drivers for your mobo, takes quite a while ! as well as the seatbelt + system kext for 10.5.7 !

Enjoy.

Hello there,

I had the same challenge 4 months ago, now 10.5.8 is out and i got again the big challenge.

First of all you need to have at least three harddisks in your system or 2 internal, one external.

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done"

4.mount 10.5.8 combo, install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast. do not restart!

In this system you go to the other harddisk where you just did the upgrade to 10.5.8

6. right click /System/InstallAtStartup folder. Get info. at bottom click lock and enter password. change permissions for everyone to read/write. Repeat step for folder /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts and for file /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1

7. Open 1 file in text edit. Find there Dont Steal Mac OS X.kext and replace with this dsmos.kext. save file.

8. if u have nvidia card move to trash all ati* and appleintelgma* kexts to trash.

9. Install voodoo kernel 9.5 with their setup package ON THE HARDDISK OF THE Updated 10.5.2 !!!. http://code.google.com/p/xnu-dev/ only if u know you cannot use vanilla kernels on your hardware.

9. restart!

10. Find the nescessary drivers for your mobo, takes quite a while ! as well as the seatbelt + system kext for 10.5.7 !

Enjoy.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that. Its a laptop so I'll see if I can install Kalyway 10.5.2 to an external USB hard drive and go from there with your instructions.

Some questions though.

1. What 10.5.8 combo update are you referring to? One thing Ive found is that there are always plenty of different ones out there and none work the same way.

2. What does this mean? "install while monitoring for appleintelcpupowermanagement.kext in extensions folder. Should appear and get deleted super fast." The file will appear and I delete it?

3. This is an AMD system, are there any further things to note because of that?

Thanks

Hello there,

9. restart!

Enjoy.

Hello again,

I will anwser your points one by one.

1 Use the 10.5.8 official combo update from the apple site

2 You can open the finder, type in the full name and see while the upgrade is installing if the file comes.

If not, then you dont have to do anything.

3 I have an intel machine, dont know the results on that one.

4 As the 10.5.8 upgrade may report a failure in the end, it is still finished succesfully !!!

Reboot from your external usb drive with the original 10.5.2 to make sure you have the rights to change the folders as the instruction tells you.

The problem with the last two updates 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 is that apple changes the root admin password, so you cannot change it when the upgrade has finished. This causes a lot of trouble changing the file with dsmos.kext.

Good luck and hope to hear your succes story.

hey.. to be honest, i recommend installing fresh from a 10.5.6 disc (ipc or xxx come to mind) and then upgrading from there. the older discs contain so many out of date drivers that its easier to start with something newer. a lot of progress has been made between 10.5.2 and 10.5.6-7-8

Which do you prefer for AMD? I have iAtkos v7 but it wont install, it just gets in a reboot loop once install starts.

Thanks!

hey.. to be honest, i recommend installing fresh from a 10.5.6 disc (ipc or xxx come to mind) and then upgrading from there. the older discs contain so many out of date drivers that its easier to start with something newer. a lot of progress has been made between 10.5.2 and 10.5.6-7-8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Hello again,

I will anwser your points one by one.

1 Use the 10.5.8 official combo update from the apple site

2 You can open the finder, type in the full name and see while the upgrade is installing if the file comes.

If not, then you dont have to do anything.

3 I have an intel machine, dont know the results on that one.

4 As the 10.5.8 upgrade may report a failure in the end, it is still finished succesfully !!!

Reboot from your external usb drive with the original 10.5.2 to make sure you have the rights to change the folders as the instruction tells you.

The problem with the last two updates 10.5.7 and 10.5.8 is that apple changes the root admin password, so you cannot change it when the upgrade has finished. This causes a lot of trouble changing the file with dsmos.kext.

Good luck and hope to hear your succes story.

Dude jus a bit of prob AMD systems can only accept Voodoo kernal and not Vanilla so i recommend u use Voodoo kernal and the panic u r getting is becuz of tht

u can download some other distro which works and install Voodoo kernal instead of Vanila