How good is OS X on PC?

anarkien

22 posts in this topic

Hello there!

I hope I'll get some answers on my question.

From what I've seen around here a lot of people buy completly new PCs only to run Mac OS X, right?

But why?

I tried running OS X 10.5.x in VMWare and it was sooo slow! Is it faster if you run OS X as your OS, and not only in VMWare? And can a PC with OS X run just as good as a Mac?

And after a little search I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAJdf0uvBss

Could I un-install XP and install OS X on my Dell XPS 420 and have it loading this fast?

Thanks guys and girls!

Like PC's and windows, running OS X on standard PC hardware as a full OS install, and not as VMware virtualization, or any virtualization for that matter, will be as fast as the hardware you use for it (not to mention getting it to work). Thankfully, though, it doesn't require too much to have it running at full speeds so long as you follow instructions depending on what methods you choose to use to get everything in working order.

Almost everything you need is available all around the net, but this site and their wiki are the most prominent sites where I've obtained what I needed when I first tried it a few weeks ago.

Thank you very much for your answers!

I've been reading a bit about having OS X on a PC, but I've heard people saying that they've ruined their motherboards etc. and I'm a bit afraid of doing that (of course).

And how do I find the release (OSx86) that fits my computer?

Do I need a retail version of OS X?

This is what I got:

XPS 420 Viiv Q6600 Quad Core Processor 2.40 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 8MB cache.

4GB Memory Dual Channel DDR2 667 MHz [4x1024MB].

19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader.

320 GB HD ATA (7200 rpm).

DVD+/-RW 16x og CD-RW/DVD-ROM 48x.

FP/SL SE198WFP 19" screen

256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS

Could I run OS X on it? In that case, where to start :(?

Again, thanks for answering. I know it might not be funny to answer my questions, so I appreciate it.

There is a way to install OS X from retail disk and there are patched dvd's which you can download. Eg XxX 10.5.6

ALL the info you need is here, on Insanelymac. Check the tutorials is all I can say.

I'm not gonna help you out - the info's all there on the web!

All I will say is good luck mate :(

Thanks Synaesthesia :(.

I'll try to find something that'll fit my motherboard etc.

So many releases and stuff here, hard to figure out what I can use.

So I have a motherboard called "0TP406" I think. What release should I use for that?

I would say download XxX Leopard, or iAtkos v7i. These are the best distros. If you want a challenge try for retail install - it's the best apparently. Snow Leopard just hit the torrents btw!

Well your motherboard uses an Intel Chipset. That much is certain. And it probably uses ICH 9 or ICH 7.

I would say download XxX Leopard, or iAtkos v7i. These are the best distros. If you want a challenge try for retail install - it's the best apparently. Snow Leopard just hit the torrents btw!

Well your motherboard uses an Intel Chipset. That much is certain. And it probably uses ICH 9 or ICH 7.

According to CPU-Z I have ICH9R, is it good? (whatever it is, heh..) :shock:.

So "retail install" would be Snow Leopard torrent, or do I have to actually BUY the Mac OS X to get a retail CD?

And can I develop in XCode on a Snow Leopard :rolleyes:?

I'll take a look at iAtkos and XxX Leopard.

You can download the retail DVD of Snow Leopard, or Leopard. It includes XCode. iAtkos etc do not. But it's a free download - and yes you can use it no prob.

ICH9R is all good. You may need a slight patch but it works.

The nice thing about iAtkos, iDeneb, XxX etc is they include the necessary patches. But if you look around you will find them anyway.

Just saw the latest release is iDeneb 1.6 - 10.5.8. That should be a good starting point for you.

Best of luck again!

I hate to hijack, but in a laptop what are the main things to check before buying OSX retail without downloading an illegal copy of OSX, I have CPU-Z installed.

post your specs so we will then be able to tell you if you can run it or not

OK, I have an Advent 6301, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Intel T2370 Processor full 64 bit support (Supports SSE, SSE2, SSE3, and SSSE3) Intel 965 express chipset with 386MB shared memory - I realise that the integrated Realtek WiFi may not work

anything else you need to know?

i think your best bet if kalyway which is quite bit out of date lol

How do I get and use kalyway? Does it requre downloading a huge .iso / .dmg burning it to disk and then running it or is it just a boot loader? If it is something like a huge .iso is it reasonable to use boot 132 and the retail copy of Leo, as I have awful bandwidth and can't bear a download going at 1KBs for 60 day 24/7.

Thanks.

yes you can try to install leo using the boot 132 .. do you know how to do this ?

I'm pretty awsome on a computer, and I have done a lot of reading up. From what I can tell I need to:

1) Boot boot132 from a cd ROM until the prompt to select a disk

2) Swap out the disk in the drive, with boot132 still running and insert the Leo disk

3) Press enter

4) Open the disk utility and format at least 6GB (I have 10GB) of unallocated disk space to Journalised HFS+ using GUID partitioning

5) Install Leo

6) Install Chameleon 2 RC

7) DONE, apart from .kexts this is where I get a little bit unsure.

thats correct i suggest you log in to leo first once installed and actually see what hardware is being recognised..

So you think that should work and I can go out and buy Leo? (obvs I don't hold u liable)