working on my first hackintosh

22 posts in this topic

been doing some research lately. trying to figure out that balance point between compatibility, performance, and affordability. im looking for a m-ATX board to start with as the basis of my configuration. i found the Intel DG35EC board to be nicely compatible according to what i could find online. I also ran into the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2l. a less expensive board than the intel, but it seems to be just as compatible. since these both are LGA775 i was thinking of going with a Core 2 Quad, unless someone recommends something different in the 150$ price range. graphics card will probably be a 9800 as that seems to be whats recommended around here. bear in mind, im still doing some research here. if anyone has any suggestion, advice, or ideas, feel free to share. i need to go do some more searching now.

doing some more research, i have decided on a EVGA 9800GTX+ graphics card and a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L mainboard.

still trying to decide whether or not i really want a Core 2 Quad vs a Core 2 Duo. what do you think?

doing some more research, i have decided on a EVGA 9800GTX+ graphics card and a Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L mainboard.

still trying to decide whether or not i really want a Core 2 Quad vs a Core 2 Duo. what do you think?

What are you going to be using the Hackintosh for?

I have a system with a G41M-ES2L- there's no real advantage over the G31M-ES2L that I can tell, other than it uses a slight amount less energy, and it can possibly take 8GB of RAM- though with only two slots that's very impractical. The audio is a bit harder to hack than the G31M as well.

Quad vs. Duo depends on your needs. Personally, I think the E6300 dual core Pentium is the best deal around lately for an average Hackintosh. It's cheap, and performs as well and in some cases a little better than the entry C2D. (VT support for one).

well i went with the g41 because it has a pcie x16 2.0 slot over the 1.0 in the g31. this is going to be my main power rig. it will also be my gaming rig (hooray dual booting) albeit a fairly standard one. i need a real desktop replacement for my macbook, and i want something that will last me a while.

so far what i have come up with is this: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=14673208

think a 500w psu will be enough? i already have one and its a Fortron, so it is extremely good.

also, i forget to mention, its all going in one of these

2ql7haw.jpg

well i went with the g41 because it has a pcie x16 2.0 slot over the 1.0 in the g31.

Ahh cool. Personally I've never been able to tell any difference between PCIe 1.1 and 2.0, but then, I'm not a PC gamer.

500W PSU should be plenty.

List looks good- if I were you though, I'd seriously consider the Q9550 over the now OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD Q6600. For $20 more the Q9550 is a steal- 12MB L2 /1333fsb vs. dual 4MB/1066fsb on the Q6600= it stomps it. Just my 2 cents, but $20 is a small price to pay for a lot more future-proofing IMHO.

Good luck with the case mod.

Zaap is right, as usual. :( The Q9550 is a beast. I've bought one recently. I used to have an E7200 with a nice OC @ 4GHz, but there's a huge difference, maybe due to the 12MB of memory Vs. 3. I've starded encoding a few DVDs in H.264, and it's very impressive to finish the job in 30 minutes. Plus, the Q9550's price's dropped dramatically and the OC's great too, though you'll need a really big heatsink to reach the 4GHz threshold without breaking the thermometer or your ears. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't buy an Antec Earthwatts: it's an old fashion PSU without the 8-pin EPS cable that will help your motherboard to support a Quad. It might not boot at all.

Everything is working on my rig, except auto sleep. But sleep is tricky to get on 10.5.8. Don't update unless you know how to patch DSDT or don't need this feature.

Don't buy an Antec Earthwatts: it's an old fashion PSU without the 8-pin EPS cable that will help your motherboard to support a Quad. It might not boot at all.

An Earthwatts works fine, I have a simple 380W one, and it has never had a problem with my Q6600 and 9800GT + 2-3HDs and things.

However, it only has a 90mm fan, while the corsairCX400 (and many others) have 120mm ones that are more silent.

Everything is working on my rig, except auto sleep. But sleep is tricky to get on 10.5.8. Don't update unless you know how to patch DSDT or don't need this feature.

it was directed at OP...

op , any news?

Yes, kexts. I installed using a retail DVD and boot-132, so I'm no longer up on the latest 'distro' install methods.

I can just tell you that I ran into some trouble initially with the G41 board. After the initial install, I ran into the "setup loop" where because the onboard network isn't compatible OOB; you can't get past the setup as it loops back to the start screen. Luckily, this is easily bypassed by using the "Graphic Mode"="640x480x32" flag at boot. (BTW This trick is good to know for anyone who runs into this problem with a Hackintosh).

The onboard audio is ALC888B - the 'b' being relevant. I used the same kext that enables audio on the GA-EP45-UD3P board to get it working, so if a distro doesn't have the right kext, try that one. Or better yet, just use a decent USB audio adapter- this one actually sounds better/cleaner than most onboard audio anyway.

As for the network, it's Realtek 8111DL. There is a kext floating around that works. Personally, I never tried that hard to hack it, and just installed a compatible PCI Gigabit card.

• 2 weeks later...

well i just want to say that i installed leopard 10.5.6 on

ga-g41-es2l

q9550

4gb 800

9600 gt

without any hack , everything works ( audio , video, lan)

i installed the following kexts:

realtek r1000 for lan

azilia for audio

and efi string for 9600 gt

installing osx86 couldn't be any easier . :)