ASUS G51VX- Anyone try this laptop yet?

arbee10

56 posts in this topic

I don't choose nvinject. I will have a look tonight (i'm from Paris...)

alright i will try to re-install iATKOSv7 again tonight with the right customize decision. (i'm from Indonesia)

is there any other extra kext that i need??

Press "Escape" img0606z.th.jpg

Choose cd/dvd img0607y.th.jpg

Press F8 when Darwin starts

Type "cpus=1 -x" img0609b.th.jpg

Wait (3/4 minutes)img0610u.th.jpg

You don't have a good partition img0611n.th.jpg

So use the disk utilities img0612e.th.jpg

Choose the partition you want to use img0612b.th.jpg

Format it as img0616y.th.jpg

Now you can chose the disk img0617m.th.jpg

On the next step, click on "customize" img0617s.th.jpg

You have to check like me (or correct me if you have a best choice) :

img0619r.th.jpgimg0620g.th.jpgimg0621p.th.jpgimg0622b.th.jpgimg0623x.th.jpgimg0624j.th.jpg

After you can install img0626l.th.jpg

And Wait ...

After reboot, it should be good for you. You have the video and MacOs will ask you to create a new account. And, finally your desktop.

image1gz.th.pngimage2xo.th.png

CONGRATULATION, your pc is now running with Mac ! Webcam works !

Don't work : WIFI, USB Card-reader

Press "Escape" img0606z.th.jpg

Choose cd/dvd img0607y.th.jpg

Press F8 when Darwin starts

Type "cpus=1 -x" img0609b.th.jpg

Wait (3/4 minutes)img0610u.th.jpg

You don't have a good partition img0611n.th.jpg

So use the disk utilities img0612e.th.jpg

Choose the partition you want to use img0612b.th.jpg

Format it as img0616y.th.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED (

YES i already get to that part same like your step cpus=1 -x nice tuts

next step please :(

waiting for customization part :D

i just try iDENEB on this machine can't work to the installation just giving me boot0=error bugs!

just info for others who want to try iDENEB on RX05 DONT! :)

does it work?

i'm still having problems with my G51, boot0:done because of iDENEB, and now having a problem with my GPU (The PCI Express x1 Bug)

do you know how to fix it? ;)

after it's all done i will try the hackintosh, thanks for the perfect tutorial.. :)

i have windows 7 before installing iatkos. I ever had this error "boot 0" (it happened when the installation stop before the end)

To fix it, i boot with my "windows 7 install dvd". I choose "repair" and "fix the boot loader"(not sure the translation in english is good ;) ". If it doesn't work. I choose the terminal and type " bcdboot c:\windows /s c:"

Normally you can boot with windows.

After, I reinstall iatkos and it works.

For the PCIExpress, i don't know.

I advise to boot with iatkos and don't pay attention to the error

i have windows 7 before installing iatkos. I ever had this error "boot 0" (it happened when the installation stop before the end)

To fix it, i boot with my "windows 7 install dvd". I choose "repair" and "fix the boot loader"(not sure the translation in english is good :( ". If it doesn't work. I choose the terminal and type " bcdboot c:\windows /s c:"

Normally you can boot with windows.

After, I reinstall iatkos and it works.

For the PCIExpress, i don't know.

I advise to boot with iatkos and don't pay attention to the error

i already fixed all the problems i'm having, and i just installed iATKOSv7 it's WORKING!!

;):D:D:thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

hahaha, now i'm planing to buy broadcom 4311 hope i can get it in my country.

anyluck making the wireless working using the original intel wireless??

hey guys, m using iatkos v7 on my laptop. everything except card reader and wi fi is working properly. but i m facing a very weird and serious problem.

whenever i start mac, my system (BIOS) time changes and thus, my windows vista's time changes too. any one who knows the fix please reply.

Hey everyone, I just want to say thank you for helping me get this installed. I have a G60VX, but this thread has helped me greatly. I currently have snow leopard installed, and the files from pomalink's post helped me. I made a mini guide for installing snow leopard on the g60vx, although it will also work with the g51vx. I use the files from your post pomalink, i hope that is okay. The difference between this guide and pomalink's is that this one you don't have to have leopard already installed, this way is done by booting from the disc directly.

1. Download and burn empire efi to a cd. Use the gt200 version, not the normal version.

2. prepare a flash drive with the the files from pomalink's post. Also put kext helper on the flash drive.

3. Boot from empire efi, take out the disc, put in snow leopard install. Make sure you are on guid partition scheme, mbr comes default on the g60vx

4. When you get to customize, only choose the things you need. Click install and wait until it is finished and restarts.

5. When it restarts, re-insert the empire efi cd, and click on your main partition with osx on it.

6. The welcome video will play, although it will be glitchy and slow. Enter information and continue. When it is all ready, click on the mounted empire efi disc, go to extra and go to chameleon bootload v2rc3. Install it.

7. Take out the disc and put in the flash drive. open up kext helper and install all the kexts included in the g51vx_working.zip file. there are two directories of kexts, one is in the system folder and the other is in the extra folder. Look through until you find both sets of kexts, and install them all at once with kext helper. Wait a few seconds after installing and you should get kernel panic. Turn off, reboot.

8. When you get to chameleon bootloader, type in "iarch=i386 cpus=1" (without quotes)

9. When you boot into it now, everything should be working. The next step would be to add com.apple.boot.plist, and add "iarch=i386 cpus=1" to it so you don't have to type it in everytime.

There you go, for the g51vx_working.zip file I am talking about. There are two kext directories on it, merge all the kexts together and install with kext helper. Everthing should work just fine except wireless

Keep in mind you can use the 30 dollar upgrade disc to do this, I don't know why, but the 30 dollar one works.

Great info in this thread, thanks. :(

I was just wondering if it's best to install Windows 7 or OSX into the first partition (once I make them) and which one to install first? I currently have osx on my desktop which was installed after windows, and the Chamelion bootloader works, but these are on separate physical disks, and on the laptop they will be on separate partitions on the same disk.

Cheers for any help. I just got the laptop so there is nothing of any importance on there yet.

Hey everyone, I just want to say thank you for helping me get this installed. I have a G60VX, but this thread has helped me greatly. I currently have snow leopard installed, and the files from pomalink's post helped me. I made a mini guide for installing snow leopard on the g60vx, although it will also work with the g51vx. I use the files from your post pomalink, i hope that is okay. The difference between this guide and pomalink's is that this one you don't have to have leopard already installed, this way is done by booting from the disc directly.

1. Download and burn empire efi to a cd. Use the gt200 version, not the normal version.

2. prepare a flash drive with the the files from pomalink's post. Also put kext helper on the flash drive.

3. Boot from empire efi, take out the disc, put in snow leopard install. Make sure you are on guid partition scheme, mbr comes default on the g60vx

4. When you get to customize, only choose the things you need. Click install and wait until it is finished and restarts.

5. When it restarts, re-insert the empire efi cd, and click on your main partition with osx on it.

6. The welcome video will play, although it will be glitchy and slow. Enter information and continue. When it is all ready, click on the mounted empire efi disc, go to extra and go to chameleon bootload v2rc3. Install it.

7. Take out the disc and put in the flash drive. open up kext helper and install all the kexts included in the g51vx_working.zip file. there are two directories of kexts, one is in the system folder and the other is in the extra folder. Look through until you find both sets of kexts, and install them all at once with kext helper. Wait a few seconds after installing and you should get kernel panic. Turn off, reboot.

8. When you get to chameleon bootloader, type in "iarch=i386 cpus=1" (without quotes)

9. When you boot into it now, everything should be working. The next step would be to add com.apple.boot.plist, and add "iarch=i386 cpus=1" to it so you don't have to type it in everytime.

There you go, for the g51vx_working.zip file I am talking about. There are two kext directories on it, merge all the kexts together and install with kext helper. Everthing should work just fine except wireless

Keep in mind you can use the 30 dollar upgrade disc to do this, I don't know why, but the 30 dollar one works.

Hello all, Noob here....yes yes...i know... Though I am not a noob at windows or linux, but mac on pc hardware...2nd atempt here.

First ...ideneb and those alike it...what are they? Are they legit installs of real OSX or they simply the kernal and drives for making mac work on a pc? Do I need SL? I simply want mac for educational purposes, to learn how to fix non hardware issues or help someone get a platform indepentant program working (EG Ventrilo)

Here are my responces to jakebb

1. done

2. done ...all i did was extract it to the usb which i assume is FAT.

3. Real SL? Real cd or burned retail? Or ideneb? God i feel so freaking noobish asking this! I will make sure I am on guid went i reformat the drive in the installer, remember we have 2 hdd slots in this computer, i have a second one in here for JUST mac...and i plan on just using the bios boot loader to choice between the 2 OSes

4. What exactly are those things. I am gravely confused. I assume drivers, but what are the correct choices?

5 Got it when i do it, currently burning SL RETAIL to a cd. (if this works my friend is giving me his SL so i will own it)

6. No problem will do, tho i wonder if I really need a boot loader...since I will be using the bios boot selection, but i see no harm done.

7. Take out the disc? Is that nesssary? Will follow, but while confused.

8. Pass arguments to the kernel, got it.

9. If i get up and running i'll figure out what your talking about then....

Upgrade disc?...Furthering my confusing...now i really do think your talking about an actual SL retail disk!

Forgive me for being noobish...we are start somewhere...last mac i owned was a max os 9...so ...yeah been a loooooooong time...

OK HA ... I actually am on the mac installation right now. Works fine....tho i haven't tested everything. The thing I don;t know how to change is my resolution. Mind you i have never used a mac in my life past 9.xx. I do know basicly computering tho (idk how to explain that...you just...know.)

I can only select 1024x768....why?

idk about wife or anything else...sound might not work since i have a gamecon 777 hooked up...and i am not using my built in hard ware (it is usb if you don't kno that headset)

This is awesome tho, i feel so nerdy and i love it cuz that is my true nature! It was my dream to have both OSes on the same computer and now i have it..

Just ...if you could all help me get the video card to work right ....that would be great!

Now i feel like a lier! All of a sudden the display changed to my native! Just my rebooting 2 times! What?

Hello all, Noob here....yes yes...i know... Though I am not a noob at windows or linux, but mac on pc hardware...2nd atempt here.

First ...ideneb and those alike it...what are they? Are they legit installs of real OSX or they simply the kernal and drives for making mac work on a pc? Do I need SL? I simply want mac for educational purposes, to learn how to fix non hardware issues or help someone get a platform indepentant program working (EG Ventrilo)

Here are my responces to jakebb

1. done

2. done ...all i did was extract it to the usb which i assume is FAT.

3. Real SL? Real cd or burned retail? Or ideneb? God i feel so freaking noobish asking this! I will make sure I am on guid went i reformat the drive in the installer, remember we have 2 hdd slots in this computer, i have a second one in here for JUST mac...and i plan on just using the bios boot loader to choice between the 2 OSes

4. What exactly are those things. I am gravely confused. I assume drivers, but what are the correct choices?

5 Got it when i do it, currently burning SL RETAIL to a cd. (if this works my friend is giving me his SL so i will own it)

6. No problem will do, tho i wonder if I really need a boot loader...since I will be using the bios boot selection, but i see no harm done.

7. Take out the disc? Is that nesssary? Will follow, but while confused.

8. Pass arguments to the kernel, got it.

9. If i get up and running i'll figure out what your talking about then....

Upgrade disc?...Furthering my confusing...now i really do think your talking about an actual SL retail disk!

Forgive me for being noobish...we are start somewhere...last mac i owned was a max os 9...so ...yeah been a loooooooong time...

1. http://www.mediafire.com/?olzzmy0m0kc open that zip file, use the regular version, not the legacy version, burn it to disc. If you haven't already...

2. Yah that works, fat or fat32, both work on mac

3. Real SL. Not some distro you found on the internet. You can go to the store, pay 30 bucks, and buy it. Or, if you are too cheap to pay 30 bucks, download it and burn it to a DL DVD. If you are dual booting, install windows first, and osx after, then use chameleon to select which one you are booting into, it works great

4. It is all {censored} that you don't need. The only thing you might need is the printer drivers or the languages. Best to just uncheck all of it unless you know that you specifically need something. I didn't check anything.

5. Yah, that is what I meant. Make sure it is Dual layer. It is easier to buy it just so you know, it is really only 30 bucks.

6. You still need a bootloader, bios boot selection doesn't work since it doesn't know which files to use. You can use the bios bootloader if you want too, you still gotta install chameleon though.

7. Don't take out the disc then. Whatever makes you happy. I just meant you don't need it anymore. There are two different folders with kexts in them, put them all into one folder and install them all at once.

8. Yes, just type both those commands in, seperated by a space. And don't type in "-" Just type the commands in.

9. Everything works fine now except wireless. I hope I answered all your questions. If you want wireless, buy dell 1390, I ordered one for myself, since I hate plugging into ethernet.

The bios boot selection just allows you to select which bootloader you want to use, if you don't install a bootloader for osx, you can't boot from it, no matter what you select in the bios.

Make sure you use the version of empire efi I linked too, if you don't then graphics look all jacked up.

Using my guide, everything works greatly, it is just like a real mac. Using the other various distro like ideneb, etc. are osx with major modifications added. The problem with these is that they are so modified, updates usually don't work right, and some basic mac features are weird and different. The good thing about the g51vx and the g60vx is that they work very well with vanilla osx, they just need a bootloader and a few drivers added, so you are best off using retail osx since the osx distros are mainly for people who's computers are very incompatible with osx (such as amd users) and need a heavily modified disc just to install it.

One thing I left out of my guide is you should install modified dsdt. To do this, google dsdt patch gui, add it to your flash drive, run it after installation of osx, and it will create a patched dsdt for you motherboard, and apply it to osx for you.

Oh yah and the webcam works... I literally stayed up all night playing with it once I got this working, it is really easy to become addicted to photobooth. Try it out once you have everything working, it is really fun to try out all the effects and make your face look huge and stuff.

I installed everything and it's working, but I'm having a weird problem. MY keyboard spazzes out sometimes, it will type 3-4 letters at a time when I type (ie hhhiiii hhoowww) and my mouse is very jumpy.

Any ideas how to fix this?

1. If on leopard, boot with cpus=1. If on snow leopard, skip to step 2.

2. Boot with arch=i386 cpus=1 if on snow leopard

3. ??????????????????????????????????????????

4. Profit.

I bought a dell 1390 wifi card on ebay and it worked fabulously. It recognized it as soon as I started up, and the wifi card goes fast. I bought mine for only 12.95, there are some for even less. So, if you want wifi, buy the dell 1390.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks that fixed it.

Anyone have any updates yet for the wireless?

Can you use a usb wireless card?

Yes using a 3.5mm usb realtek unit off ebay. It came with drivers for osx 10.4 and 10.5. I ran the 10.5 drivers and using them as I type now! Not bad for $15 us shipped. Still trying to get an atheros 5001 working though as I would like to not have usb sticking out (no big deal but unsightly) and I am triple booting Win 7 and ExpressGate. The mini pci-e attheros works for those two but I can't figure it out for SL yet.

Obtw I have the bestbuy G60, cpu and ram reporting wrong on info, no keyboard volume control but all else seems to run fine, updated to 10.6.2 and choppy sound got fixed. I need more research and time to fix the little things now.

• 3 weeks later...

Though I have got a clean SL 10.6.2 retail install working on my G51vx-x3a, I still have a few problems. I've tried various solutions for the keyboard/trackpad, but I still cannot get it working. I understand the cpus=1 is still necessary, but if I can at least get the k/t working I should be ok. Even though on a recent G50vt I didn't have any of these problems. I just wanted this new model for the 1920x1080 resolution. Can anyone help me with this?

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add my own setup process to see if it helped anyone else. I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate with two internal hard drives (320GB each) the first with two partitions (C:OS/D:Data) and the second (F:) was originally just there for data. I obtained a copy of Snow Leopard 10.6 Retail and realized that I didn't have any blank dual layer DVDs. Instead of buying some and possibly failing with the burn (I've read stories of people creating up to 10 coasters) I decided to use an old 250GB external IDE hard drive. Eventually, I set SL to run from my second internal (F:). Here's how I did it (btw, thanks to those in this thread that pointed me in the right direction and for some of the advice in what to download/do/etc.):

1. Obtain the following software: TransMac (free 15 day trial), Empire EFI V1.085 R2 (burn to CD the link that says nvidia graphics card (i.e 2xx series)), and the files from pomalink's post above (I placed these somewhere where the SL installation can access and for me it was my first hard drive, aka C:), an unmodified .dmg image of Snow Leopard (retail client or server)

2. While in Windows, run diskpart and type the following commands (minus the quotes):

"select disk #" (where # is the hard drive which you will ERASE -- external or internal)

"clean"

The above procedure will basically erase all configuration from the disk (I didn't get these steps 100% confirmed so just ask a question and I'll happily respond) and will allow you to restore the .dmg to the disk

3. Run TransMac and select "Open Disk Image" from the File menu. Once the image has been loaded, right-click on the disk image and select "Expand" (I needed to do this because I got an error message from TransMac telling me to first expand the image. Save the newly expanded image somewhere (the original is 6.13GB for me and expanded it's 7.23GB)

4. Right-click on the hard drive you prepared in step #3 and select Format Disk>Format with Disk Image. Browse for the EXPANDED image and wait for the write to finish. If you get any errors like "cannot format disk" or "failed to format Mac disk" or something similar, try selecting "Format for Mac" from the same menu and select extended HFS+ then try the image format again)

5. Once it's done, make sure you have the bootable Empire EFI CD in your disc reader and the hard drive (which will now assume the OS X installation DVD role) already to go. Reboot. The only setting I modified in my BIOS (I already had the "enhanced" option selected for Windows 7) was the boot order: I set CD first, removable drive second, hard drive third.

6. The CD-ROM will boot you and you'll have an option to select what drive to boot and you should see a Mac OS X Installer (which is the external hard drive) option in the graphical menu. Select it and let it load

7. When SL setup loads, select Disk Utility and find your hard drive that you wish to use for the final installation which should be the same as the one from step #3 (I managed to set up my SL installation originally on an external drive, however, you'll require either a DVD -- which I didn't have -- or another hard drive -- which I did). In this case, I chose the internal (F:) drive in my laptop and created one 60GB partition and for the automatically created second partition, chose "free space" since I wanted to have Windows 7 use that space. Make sure you select GUID/GPT from the options button while partitioning.

8. Let the partitioning process complete and close the Disk Utility window. You should be back at setup where you'll be given the option to choose the disk where you'd like to install. I didn't customize anything because I MISSED that part :unsure: but customize with anything you need and let the setup process complete (about 30 minutes)

9. I left the Empire EFI CD in the disc reader and when it booted, I selected the new hard drive (I labeled it Mac_SL_OS for the sake of locating it quickly) and Snow Leopard should fully boot.

10. Enter your information, etc.

11. On your desktop, open the mounted Empire EFI CD and in extras run the MyHack application (in this version of Empire EFI it says to run that first and only run Chameleon if MyHack fails). It took a while for me and I thought at times it had frozen, but just be patient.

12. Using kext helper, install all the kexts (I followed the advice above and simply created an "All" folder and copied the contents of the System and Extras folders into it.) I got a funny message that said "Install seems successful. Cross fingers and reboot" :) **** I didn't get any kernel panics

13. Reboot and here's where it gets weird for me...if I simply reboot/power on my computer, Windows 7 will load by default. If I want to use SL, I use the BIOS boot loader and select my second hard drive. Not sure if I like this or not, but, honestly, I really don't want to go through the hassle of fixing my Windows 7 boot loader, so if anyone has a suggestion on how to get this working, I'd appreciate it. I think I'm supposed to downloading something either for Mac or Windows but I don't want to mess up and spend hours fixing everything when it's working perfectly right now. Still, would be nice to have a boot menu....

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I really have no clue what's working and what's broken. I'm in the process of getting iLife/iWork and saw an earlier reference to the Intel wireless drivers working by switching them to Broadcom 4311 and hope to test this soon. I only need SL because I want to develop an iPhone application and well for the sake of saying "I did it." Additionally, besides playing around with the Macs at the Apple store, this is my first time using a Mac for personal use, so excuse any future "huh?" answers/suggestions. I'll still use Windows 7 primarily, but I like SL so far.

EDIT: Broke up the steps since it looked like one big messy paragraph.

kl34i2,

I have a similar setup on my G60VX laptop. OS X is installed on my second hard disk. To boot to it, I press ESC on bootup and select the second hard disk from the boot up menu. Frankly if you want to avoid doing this (I don't until OS X is 100% fully functional which may not ever happen), simply reconfigure your BIOS to boot off the second hard disk.

For me, once I boot off the second hard disk I get the Chameleon boot menu which offers both Windows 7 and OS X as boot choices. I am able to boot from either one here, though OS X loads by default in a matter of a few seconds (all configurable of course). So if your configure your BIOS to boot off the second hard disk by default instead of the first, your problem should be solved assuming of course you are able to select and boot Windows 7 from Chameleon.

• 1 month later...

Anyone figure out how to not need the cpus=1 anymore? I have everything working aside from the GTX 260M (perfect resolution, but OSX just says generic card), wifi (voodoowireless will prolly support it soon), and the volume keys (but i never use them). ...But I've noticed that videos stutter because the CPU has to work too hard trying to play them. Any method of enabling all 4 cores on the G51VX-A1 model? ....I can't seem to get DSDT patches to work with it.

• 1 month later...
the best way to avoid any Kernel Panics is to used DSDT.aml compile from your own system.

use Ubuntu LiveCD to get a dump of your dsdt.dsl and compile into DSDT.aml.

then install using any method you wish...i prefer installing thru another OSX using OSInstall.mpkg.

then install Chameleon bootloader and latest EFI 10.1-10.5

I use the basic Kexts in the folder /Extra/Extensions/ such as FakeSMC, NullCPU~, IOAHCI~, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID, and SleepEnabler.

keyboard, trackpad, nvidia gtx 260m, and alc663 sound is not easy or straight forward for this particular notebook running Snow Leopard.

KB/TP was done by using voodoops2controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2NUB.kext compiled for snow leopard.

installing in /Extra cause problem...best to install into S/L/Extensions and be sure to remove Mouse.kext from plugins folder inside voodoops2

never had any luck with gtx 260m using efi string, nvenabler, or graphicsenabler.

i had to customize NVinject by adding the Device ID 061810de using correct VRAM.

also using VoodooHDA compiled for Snow Leopard and deleting AppleHDA.kext.

after many nights of headache, here's all files that I used to get things working:

g51vx_working.zip

Everything works, EXCEPT:

Wireless LAN

Keyboard Volume Control

THANK YOU! That was a very helpful post... I'm so glad you've supplied these files :thumbsup_anim:

• 3 weeks later...