Asus P5QPL-VM EPU/CM5770

tsm1248

14 posts in this topic

• 5 months later...

I've attached the bios I used (thanks Juzzi!)
you'll need to use voodoohda to get audio working
you can get the onboard ethernet working with the kext from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1112576

Let me know if there's anything I'm forgetting.

oh, and make sure you use a real graphics card. snow leo won't boot at all using the onboard.

I used the 10.6GM 10a432 3.5 DVD I found on the green demon, booted directly from the DVD and installed it directly to my HD using GUID.
Booted up from a chameleon bootloader on a usb stick, and once in the OS, I installed the bootloader to the EFI partition and updated to 10.6.2 through ASU (just be sure to remove sleepenabler.kext before the update)

Other than the need to flash the bios, this was the easiest osx86 install I've ever done. The only thing I have yet to get working is sleep, but this is not a big deal to me, I'd just like to get it working so that I can say it's 100%.
If anyone gets sleep working, let me know!

edit2: had to reinstall, so this time I decided to do a retail install - works perfectly! used the usb installer method, apparently this does not require a flashed bios, but I already flashed mine, so I'm not sure if this is true for this board.
Still no sleep, I think that will require some DSDT editing or something, I'm not sure. I don't know too much about DSDT - if anyone more knowledgable than I wants to give it a shot, I'd be very appreciative!

Another quick note, make sure in your bios settings that enhanced mode is set to sata, not sata+pata or you'll get a kp from ioatafamily.kext (this drove me nuts for awhile!). I'm using Chameleon 2 RC4 - My E/E has fakesmc.kext, ioahciblockstorageinjector.kext, nullcpupowermanagement.kext, openhaltrestart.kext, and UUID.kext.

Hope this helps anyone with this board. if you give it a try, let me know how it goes!

0211_BIOS_Asus_P5Q_PL_VM_EPU_for_MAC_OS_X___all_OS__incl._by_Juzzi..ROM.zip

• 3 months later...

I have a similar board, its actually the P5QL-VM-EPU(CG5270)

The CG5270 is from an actual Asus built computer,

It has:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5GHz

8GB DDR2

I've thrown in a Radeon 5770, but I know it will only work in VESA but I'm fine with that for now.

I got this system for around $400 at work, but I can't get OsX on this system, I've installed fine but after a reboot I get a kernel panic.

This is the furthest I've been able to go:

th_100425-130013.jpg

What "distro" are you using? did you flash the bios? I recommend the retail method as I haven't had a single problem with mine since installing retail. What kexts do you have in E/E? Also, what are your bios settings?

edit: Nevermind, I just noticed you have your bios settings posted too. First thing that sticks out is you have the onboard video enabled in the north bridge setup, which osx really doesn't like.

I've disabled on board video, I don't remember what Kexts I added off the top of my head, but I tried tons of combinations.
I can't flash my bios with any of the updates found here, as the board that I have is a special version of the P5QL-VM-EPU
So it fails at checksum, or board version, If anyone can make a hacked Bios that would be wonderful.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply, if you're still having trouble, I've attached the kext files from my E/E folder - my S/L/E only has stock kexts. I did notice though, that you mention you have a P5QL-VM and not the P5QPL-VM, so that may be why the bios doesn't work for you.

What install method are you using? From what I understand, at least with the P5QPL-VM, that the retail method doesn't require the patched bios, so I would suggest that if you haven't tried it. I haven't tested this theory, as I had already patched my bios prior to installing the retail version.

Remove the sleepenabler kext if you have it installed, since it doesn't seem to work and may cause problems. also, maybe try setting the boot flags to 1 core or 32 bit mode.

let me know how it goes, I enabled the message notification on the forum so it shouldn't take me long to respond this time lol

extraextensions.zip

• 3 weeks later...

I have a CG5270 as well and I've tried the retail method with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] empire bootloaded and IPC latest snow leopard and i get kernel panics constantly. I've tried the other boot loaders (empire legacy and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] nvidia/supported). I can't even get it installed. I can post some examples of the kernel panics i keep getting if needed but it'd be great to here of someone who can successfully get SL or 10.5 working just to know this isn't completely hopeless.

• 3 weeks later...

I just acquired a CM5570 system myself that is said to have the same P5QL-VM-EPU motherboard in it. Specs are a Q8200 quad core, 6gb Nvidia GeForce 8400gs, etc.

First off, I tried to install the the modified ROM file below, but told me the ROM ID was not valid and it would not install it. Other than that, I have not gotten very far with my vanilla install of Snow Leopard.

Have also tried the 3-2-1 method with just Leopard and just get KP's.

Will add to the discussion any way possible to help you guys out.

L8tr

Check for your board's bios here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1408946

I really wish that link was around when I was looking for my bios. it was a serious pain to find it.

hopefully the links are still active.

I'm thinking if the rest of the P5QL-VM hardware is roughly the same as mine, the other files I've attached will probably work, but you may have to search around for solutions specific to your board.

hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I just acquired a CM5570 system myself that is said to have the same P5QL-VM-EPU motherboard in it. Specs are a Q8200 quad core, 6gb Nvidia GeForce 8400gs, etc.

First off, I tried to install the the modified ROM file below, but told me the ROM ID was not valid and it would not install it. Other than that, I have not gotten very far with my vanilla install of Snow Leopard. Have also tried the 3-2-1 method with just Leopard and just get KP's.

the quad core maybe your issue..just a thought

• 2 weeks later...
I've disabled on board video, I don't remember what Kexts I added off the top of my head, but I tried tons of combinations.

I can't flash my bios with any of the updates found here, as the board that I have is a special version of the P5QL-VM-EPU

So it fails at checksum, or board version, If anyone can make a hacked Bios that would be wonderful.

This is what i would do find a bios editing tool and compare modded from unmoded bios versions and just get the most recent bios update for your board and incorporate the differences.

For those you that have a CM5770, I am in the process of getting a working SL build installed. At this point, I have been unsuccessful in flashing the stock CM5770 bios, even though it is supposed to be a p5ql-cm-epu motherboard, it is NOT the same stock BIOS as the stand alone version. I just ordered and installed the stand alone P5QL-VM-EPU bios and am truing to install once again.

Does anyone have screen shots, or a listing of what the bios setting should be? I am currently trying a vanilla install (.dmg SL restore) and chameleon only via the USB version.

Looks promising as I do see O.C. settings in my bios now that I did not see with the stock CM5770. Any other advise? Thanks in advance!

PS- I am not able to flash the JUZZI 0211 modified .rom file to the new flash, still get the incompatible ROM version info. e-mailed my BIOS supplier to let me know if there is anything I can do to install this version, or if I need him to flash it for me. Will let ya know as it is only about $12 to have him do so to a new chip.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so after being BURIED under work the last couple of weeks, FINALLY got a chance to play with the CM5570 a bit more. Here are my findings at this point.....other feedback is also appreciated!

--Got a new BIOS, ordered a STOCK standalone P5ql-vm-epu version and it works! Can flash with other revs of the same mobo bios (Even modified) without the "incompatible ROM ID" message.

--Need NVenabler64.kext to get the 8400gsNvidia to work properly, shows "Unknown NVIDIA" in profiler, but does register correct amount of RAM and device ID.

--Board appears to have ALC887 chipset, so VoodooHDA is about the only way to go unless someone has a modified APPLEHDA.kext handy for 887?

--BOOTS in about 20 seconds with a 7200rpm drive, 64 bit mode works, shutdown works, sleep is an issue. Goes to sleep, but wakes up right away....anyone have a fix for this?

Next Steps:

Getting ready to mod the dsdt.aml file to see if I can get the following issues resolved

--Sleep and immediate wakeup

--Internal drives show as external

Other than that, seems pretty fast and stable! Overclocked with the 5% profile from the standalone bios and xbench gives it a 220 rating (minus HD). With handbrake/VLC combo it rips through a 2hr movie, blasting all 4 cores at 100 in 45 mins @ 70fps (Thats fast for older HDWE!)

Anyone have any other experiences with this board and a modded bios? Would like to hear where you are at with issues.

PS- Just flashed the attached Juzzi 0302 bios and do not see much diff from the P5ql-vm-epu stock 0601 to this version. will run with it this week and see how it works out.

UN_WIRED

• 1 month later...
This is what i would do find a bios editing tool and compare modded from unmoded bios versions and just get the most recent bios update for your board and incorporate the differences.

after you're done that, let me know what your mobo manufacturer says when you tell them why you need a repair