SPSS on Snow Leopard doesn't works?

grivas

9 posts in this topic

Just that! I installed SPSS v16 and it finish too fast, so then I realized that it didn't install. There is just a log file saying an Error that xxx.xx file's didn't copy because folder doesn't exist!...

In Leopard there is no problem!!

any idea?

thanks!

Just that! I installed SPSS v16 and it finish too fast, so then I realized that it didn't install. There is just a log file saying an Error that xxx.xx file's didn't copy because folder doesn't exist!...

In Leopard there is no problem!!

any idea?

thanks!

Did you try the latest version (17.0.2, now called PASW)? You can get a demo at spss.com.

Also, you can try different java versions (in the Java preferences).

Best

VoA

Hi! thanks! for your replies, I tried with v.16 and I had the problem I described. With v.17.0.2 when I run the installer It just close and the icon disapear!... nothing more...

I don't find obvious it doesn't works because is the only app I couldn't make to work in SL!

I will have to wait... :)

If someone has news please post it!!!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

You could have Leopard on a separate partition and use that partition to run SPSS until SPSS is compatible with Snow Leopard. I've had 2 OSX partitions (and 1 with XP on it) and it's extremely useful for troubleshooting and testing installs, kexts, and upgrades.

Just a quick addendum ;-)

The installer fails due to the missing Java 1.5 in Snow Leopard ("No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.").

SPSS/PASW/{censored} itself runs, but without tables or graphics ("[JavaAppLauncher] Requested [1.5*], launching in [1.6] instead.").

After copying the Java 1.5 from a Leopard installation, and adjusting the Java Preferences, the installer runs without problems. In SPSS, tables now work, but a requested graph still yields an error ("*ERROR: Failed to load JVM binaries").

Since the SPSS graphs are ugly anyway, I can live with that. V18 will reportedly work with Snow Leopard and bring some improvements on outputs in general (speed).

Best,

VoA

Just a quick addendum ;-)

The installer fails due to the missing Java 1.5 in Snow Leopard ("No Java Runtime Environment (JRE) was found on this system.").

SPSS/PASW/{censored} itself runs, but without tables or graphics ("[JavaAppLauncher] Requested [1.5*], launching in [1.6] instead.").

After copying the Java 1.5 from a Leopard installation, and adjusting the Java Preferences, the installer runs without problems. In SPSS, tables now work, but a requested graph still yields an error ("*ERROR: Failed to load JVM binaries").

Since the SPSS graphs are ugly anyway, I can live with that. V18 will reportedly work with Snow Leopard and bring some improvements on outputs in general (speed).

Best,

VoA

Thanks for the tips, could you send me the JAVA 1.5 files and specify how to adjust the JAVA Preferences?

my address is G.Jaeger0226 AT gmail.com, thank you!