No LAN on ASUS P5Q Deluxe

114 posts in this topic

I wonder if someone can help, I'm pretty new to all this. I've just finished my first Hackintosh build (see below for spec) and I've got iDeneb running on it. Everything is working except the Ethernet.

Strangely Ethernet worked fine under iDeneb 10.5.6 (although little else did), updating to 10.5.7 fixed all of the other problems but the Ethernet disappeared.

This is what the ASUS manual says about my LAN:

Dual Gigabit LAN controllers

Marvell 88E856 / 88E8001 Gigabit LAN controller

featuring AI NET2, Teaming and Redundent

This is what System Profiler says:

Ethernet:

MAC Address: 00:0a:95:a6:12:1a

Media Options: Full Duplex, flow-control

Media Subtype: 100baseTX

Hardware Type: Broadcom 5421

This is the machine spec:

Intel Q6600 Core2 Quad 2.4GHz 1066MHz FSB

ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 GPU

Corsair Dominator (2x2048MB) DDR2 PC2-8500 1066MHz 2x240pin DIMMs

OCZ StealthXStream 600 Watt PSU

Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATAII 32MB Cache Dual Processor Hard Drive

Pioneer DVR-216 20x Int. DVDRW SATA

Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120 VX (CPU Cooler)

Lian Li PC-8B Case

If you could phrase any answers as if you were talking to a complete idiot that would be cool, as you are in fact speaking to a complete idiot. As a long time Mac user even the thought of coding brings me out in a cold sweat, and until a couple of weeks ago I'd never heard the word BIOS.

Never the less, any help or advice would be really gratefully accepted.

Cheers,

simon

I think I've almost sorted out the problem, I just need a tiny last bit of help.

The LAN controllers on the P5Q are definitely Marvell 88E856. When I did a standard install of iDeneb 10.5.6 it automatically installed the IONetworkingFamily.kext (which supports this controller).

However. the iDeneb 10.5.7 update (which sorted out all my other problems) uninstalled this kext. In fact, there is a folder with the update called "Extensions Disabled" ant there is a copy of the IONetworkingFamily.kext inside it.

There is a thing called iDeneb.Tool.rev1 that comes with the update and it lets you install some of the older kexts with the update, but the IONetworkingFamily.kex is not included.

So here is the 22million Euro Question:

Is there a SIMPLE way to make sure that the IONetworkingFamily.kex is installed as part of the update, or at least not uninstalled?

Cheers,

si

The solution is very simple. Just put the IONetworkingFamily.kext (from the "Extensions Disabled" folder) in your Boot-132 USB.

Actually, this is the right time you use Boot-132 USB.

1) Download this Boot-132 USB image:-

http://www.mediafire.com/?0xylvkm1yxe

2) Replace all kexts (remove the existing kexts inside initrd.img) with your kexts from Boot-132 CD plus the IONetworkingFamily.kext (from the "Extensions Disabled" folder).

3) Use Disk Utility to restore the Boot-132 USB image to your flash drive. For example like this:-

post-125711-1246159810_thumb.jpg

As you can see:-

i) first you need to mount the Boot-132 USB image (.dmg),

ii) open Disk Utility,

iii) drag the mounted Boot-132 volume to "Source",

iv) drag the flash drive volume to "Destination",

v) make sure "Erase Destination" checked,

vi) press "Restore" button,

4) When the restore operation finished you can start using it to boot your iDeneb. This is when you need to enter Hex value which is 81 (because 80 is your flash drive).

Darwin/x86 boot v.0.123_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre
4095MB memory
VESA v3.0 16MB (ATI ATOMBIOS)

Press Enter to start up Darwin/x86 with no options, or you can:

Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages
Type ? and press Enter to learn about advanced startup options

boot:_

Darwin/x86 boot v.0.123_dfe_r146_Chameleon_pre
4095MB memory
VESA v3.0 16MB (ATI ATOMBIOS)

Typical boot devices are 80 (First HD), 81 (Second HD)
Enter two-digit hexadecimal boot device [ef]:_

By using Boot-132 USB, you can update your iDeneb using System Update just like retail setup without worrying it can break your OS X. This way /System/Library/Extensions folder is free from hack kexts.

You can call this second phase.

Important information:-

Just make sure that the last 4 lines of the Info.plist of the kexts (in Boot-132) looks like this:

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
 <string>Root</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Please change or add the entry to the Info.plist of every kexts. If not the kexts will failed to load from Boot-132.

The third phase is restoring Boot-132 USB to a (free) partition at internal hard disk so that you can boot directly with it. But this is after you really satisfied with your Boot-132 USB.

kizwan

Cheers for your help and patients on this Kizwan. I followed your instructions and it all went perfectly up to point 4. Unfortunately I couldn't boot from the USB Flash Drive. When I pressed F8 and specified the USB drive it just took me to a flashing prompt with no text (where I couldn't enter anything)

To be honest with you, even if it had worked up to that point, I don't know where to find the Info.plist or how tho edit it.

I hate to admit it, but I just don't think I've got the programming background necessary to make this work, and I'm just getting more and more frustrated with myself so I think I'll just put the Hackintosh away for a while and go back to working on the PPC for now.

Thanks Again,

simon

post-444051-1246224514_thumb.jpg

Cheers for your help and patients on this Kizwan. I followed your instructions and it all went perfectly up to point 4. Unfortunately I couldn't boot from the USB Flash Drive. When I pressed F8 and specified the USB drive it just took me to a flashing prompt with no text (where I couldn't enter anything)

That happen because your flash drive is not bootable. Use Disk Utility to format your USB flash drive to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". After that start again at point 3.

To be honest with you, even if it had worked up to that point, I don't know where to find the Info.plist or how tho edit it.

Actually it is not a programming at all, just editing a file. By the way you don't need to edit the Info.plist if all of the kexts you use on Boot-132 was taken from other Boot-132. I'm sure it already Boot-132 ready.

kizwan

Search for user cVad and download the 10.5.7 repair pack from his signature. It has a fix for 10.5.7 that works with the 88E8056. The AppleYukon2.kext was updated in 10.5.7 and the old fixes don't work anymore.

Or you can do it yourself - change the entry for the 88E8053 in info.plist inside AppleYukon2.kext to match the 88E8056. All you need to do is put the right device ID and change the name of the entry to 88E8056.

Then it will work with the 10.5.7 IONetworkingFamily.kext - there's no need to use an older driver.

Thanks Guys,

I downloaded cVad's 10.5.7 Repair Kit, double-clicked it and now everything works in iDeneb just like the retail version on my PPC (only MUCH MUCH faster lol). Okay there's the shutting down thing and no external SATA, but that's no biggie (In fact I'm not even sure that Mac Pros have external SATA). I might buy a Firewire 800 card as this one's only got 400. Anyways, a massive thankyou to Beerkex'd for drawing my attention to the Repair Kit, and cVad for making it.

Also total thanks to Kizwan, I realize all the advantages of the USB/Partition method, it's just that at hte moment this is working so I don't want to tempt fate. I think your point about formating the Flash drive was correct. In a few weeks time I'll buy another 1T internal drive (for TimeMachine) and I'll try the retail method on that without endagering the OS or work on the iDeneb drive.

To be honest, "Frost Ocelot" will be out soon so I might just wait for that. I don't think there'll be any major updates to Leopard now and I'm guessing that the retail install of Snow Leopard will require a different loader.

Thaks again

P.s. What/Where is Info.plist ?

PPS. If I wanted to look a bit deeper into all this squiggly code stuff wherer would be a good place to start?

The last link I give to you is for Boot-132 CD not USB. So, you need to burn it to a CD-R/CD-RW. Use "Burn" function at Disk Utility to burn it to a CD-R/CD-RW. It has different file system & cannot be restored to a flash drive using Disk Utility.

There is a way to mount the ISO file with "Owners Enable Yes". Use this command in terminal (put Boot132-P5Q.iso at Desktop):-

hdiutil attach ~/Desktop/Boot132-P5Q.iso -owners on -readonly

But you still cannot restored it to a flash drive because it use unsupported file system.

Hi Again,

I burned your Boot-132 to disk using Disk Utility, and that went fine.

I was able to boot from the disk fine and start the installation process using the Retail disk.

But when it got to the point of asking where to install the OS neither of my disks showed up, they wouldn't show up in Disk Utility either. This is strange as both disk function perfectly under iDeneb.

si

I think I know why. There is a kext called AppleAHCIPort.kext in Boot132-P5Q.iso. Can you remove the kext & rebuild the ISO image by following the guide at my blog?

Remember, follow the guide but don't use "David Elliot's modified Boot-132 CD" as a base. Use Boot132-P5Q.iso instead. Just remove AppleAHCIPort.kext.

LOL I have provided step-by-step instruction at my blog.

I believe you already know how to "edit" initrd.img yourself, right? I'll try to make it more clear.

1) Just create a directory called Boot132-P5Q at Desktop & copy all of the contents of Boot132-P5Q CD to that directory.

2) Navigate to Boot132-P5Q folder (the one you create in step 1) then mount initrd.img by double-clicking it.

3) Navigate to Extra/Extensions folder in initrd volume & remove AppleAHCIPort.kext & IOAHCIFamily.kext. After that unmount initrd volume by dragging it to Trash or right click initrd volume & choose 'Eject "initrd"'.

4) Now create ISO file (execute this command in Terminal):-

cd ~/Desktop

hdiutil makehybrid -o Boot132-P5Q.iso Boot132-P5Q/ -iso -eltorito-boot Boot132-P5Q/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot

OR (if above command produce error or failed)

cd ~/Desktop

hdiutil makehybrid -o Boot132-P5Q.iso Boot132-P5Q/ -iso -eltorito-boot Boot132-P5Q/ISOLINUX.BIN -no-emul-boot

5) Burn the ISO to CD.

I will create the ISO for you later if you still have problem with this.

Everything went as you described, but having removed the two kexts now machine won't boot from the 132 disk.

si

Oh yes, and both my HD icons have now turned orange and I can't seem to change them back ...Lol.

I have tested here & I was able to boot with it. Are you sure no error message appear when rebuilding the ISO file? I have problem uploading the new ISO right now. I'll let you know when upload succeed.

Oh yes, and both my HD icons have now turned orange and I can't seem to change them back ...Lol.

I don't understand. You said earlier that you unable to boot with the new Boot-132 CD. Is this mean you able to boot with it?