Aspire One Running iDeneb 1.4 Upgrade to 10.5.7 Failure

nickg331

3 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance for my ignorance, but I know very little about what I'm doing here:

I was running iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on an Acer Aspire One and everything was just dandy. Then, being an idiot, I ran Software Update without realizing the OS had been updated as well (I was just trying to get the iTunes, iLife, etc. updates). The current situation: the machine boots, I see the Acer splash screen, followed by the Darwin x86 / Chameleon screen I always saw, then I get the grey apple screen, and then the whole process repeats. It continues in this loop until I force shut it down.

Any ideas about how I can get this thing to boot or again, or am I screwed unless I do a fresh install?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Nick

Apologies in advance for my ignorance, but I know very little about what I'm doing here:

I was running iDeneb v1.4 10.5.6 on an Acer Aspire One and everything was just dandy. Then, being an idiot, I ran Software Update without realizing the OS had been updated as well (I was just trying to get the iTunes, iLife, etc. updates). The current situation: the machine boots, I see the Acer splash screen, followed by the Darwin x86 / Chameleon screen I always saw, then I get the grey apple screen, and then the whole process repeats. It continues in this loop until I force shut it down.

Any ideas about how I can get this thing to boot or again, or am I screwed unless I do a fresh install?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Nick

Boot with -v option so that you can know what exactly the problem is. Have you installed the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement disabler, if not, then that might be the cause of problem. 10.5.7 has many issues with hackintosh, mine also does not boot sometime, but boots with -v option.

OK, so I booted up from the iDeneb install disk, deleted the System folder via Terminal, and reinstalled (hoping that my user account would be preserved but a fresh System would be installed). All went according to plan, I can login, etc. However, the keyboard doesn't work and the graphics kexts aren't installed. An easy fix, you'd think, BUT my account has been reset to a Standard account and doesn't have Admin privileges. So I figured I'd enable the root user, login as such, upgrade my account to admin status, log back into my account, and install the proper kexts. But when I boot up again from the iDeneb install disk and reset the password for the root user, I still can't login as root at the login screen (when I put "root" in the Name field and the password in the password field it refuses it).

Does anyone have any idea how to get root access in order to upgrade an account from standard to admin in my predicament? I can't do it the normal way - Directory Utility - because I don't have admin access, and it seems that booting from the install disk and resetting the root password doesn't work either.

Thanks again